Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm looking for quotes on
    2004 Volvo S60 T SE
    Male
    6+ years named NCB
    My own motorcycle NCB does not count for anything.

It's my fathers car, he is insured with 123 for €550 and I'm buying it off him.

Best quote: Axa via Campion €1270!
    2nd: Patrona via Chill €1358
    3rd: Axa direct €1450

The following would not quote online
    AA Phone or online
    FBD
    Liberty
    Its4Women
    BOI
    AIG
    QuoteDevil phone or online
    CompareInsurance
    Allianz

I might ask pops if he can get a quote with me named and see how we go... crazy they take the year of the car but not the history of the individual vehicle.

Seems some have had luck with Liberty and 123, I will give them a call as they were unable to quote online.

I have the same car although a slightly newer 2007 version so not the self destructing 15 years yet. Similar risk profile also as 41 male, 6+ years NCB and for the past number of years haven't been able the beat the renewal quote from 123 for TPFT.

Last year paid 482 as the renewal but same policy cover with NCB protection as a new customer would have been 601. Next nearest was BOI at 697 and prices quickly sky rocketed thereafter at 830+

Policy up for renewal in a few weeks again and 123 still looking best at 508 but same policy as a new customer at 618. FBD were showing 598 and next best AnPost (underwritten by FBD) at 649.
    Liberty who some appear to have success with wanted 1,065.

Could probably get 123 a bit cheaper with their super low mileage policy (<5k km) which I'd fit under but it involves a GPS tracker in your ODBC connection which I'm not keep on.

Such a farce each year ringing and filling in the same details multiple times to receive random astronomically figures or no quotes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tippej9

ej9 axa. normal policy. provisional. no lessons declared. 21 y o. 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

tippej9 wrote: »

That on the drive save app plan. Is it the 90bhp 1.4 ej9

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

tippej9 wrote: »

Really with AXA? I rang around for an ep2 civic last year and got nothing. I'm 21 with a full license and 2 years no claims with aviva and then AXA themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Nephew
    2007 Ford Focus 1.4
    Learners permit 3 months
    No NCB
    No driving experience
    Dublin
    Kennco. €1,600 comprehensive, €1,350 3rd party F&T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭A Law

I'm now into the 20+ year old car insurance. 123.ie have stopped quoting me online but still sent out the renewal price. €550, up 50 from last year. Is it just AXA that will quote me now that my car is over 20 years old. Its my daily drive so don't think classic is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭on_the_roots

This was the lowest car insurance quote I have ever seen in this country. Congrats!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Has anyone here switched from liberty to axa, and had any issues later on, for eg. drastically increasing the premium for the next year or following years or just not insuring an old car anymore. I have a 99 Celica and getting another ridiculous tpf&t renewal premium from liberty this year at over €1200 when axa's is quoting 491 comprehensive and an addon option of protected NCD for an additional €66.25

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

01 ford Mondeo ...Aviva have been the cheapest for me the last few years ... between 380 to 440 TPFT...I'm happy with that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is it difficult to get a new policy on an old car ?

Currently with post insurance(Aviva) but may be cancelling and taking out a new policy after a break and they won't take me back with an old car

50yo, full no claims no points ,no claims etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it's not cancelled with Aviva yet, then don't. I had the exact same problem with Aviva. Went from an 01 to and 06 car for a few months, and when renewal came up they would not let me go back to the 01 car.

same with my son shopping lately, only AXA would even look at something, and the price was the going rate.

My daughter got hers on an 06 with Liberty, so worth a call too.

Finally, First Ireland can be good for older stuff as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

€470 renewal for my 1999 Corolla. Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

€350 with Allianz on 2003 VW Polo 1.4tdi. 49, full licence, full ncb, no points, no claims. Fully comp plus open driving for anyone 30+. Delighted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭doh777

Hello all. Chipping in here.

Any recommendations please for a company to insure a 94 Corolla. It's a relatives car. Passed NCT last week, drives like butter.

45 yo male with 3 years NCB with 123.ie

Tried all the major Irish companies I think but no joy. It is a very frustrating experience.

They suggest classic cover but it would be a day to day car.

And might it be somehow discriminatory them refusing to insure a perfectly road worthy vehicle?

Thanks for any input.

Mine (1999) is with Allianz - presume you have tried them?

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I've tried Allianz.

But have you had that car insured with them for a good number of years?

The problem arises when its it's a new policy being sought I think.

I am with them since 2008 for this car. Yes, no problem getting a renewal but going to a new company is pretty difficult.

That's it...if not pretty difficult, then impossible.

Makes you wonder what the point of the NCT is.

Very frustrating though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's related to risk a new owner will stage a fake crash or more likely to claim. Existing customers are less likely to claim. It's a risk/reward trade off for insurer, not that I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't buy that for a minute. If you are moving from one company to another, and have the log book of that old car in your name (say for years), and have a track record of NCB (say on the that same old car), then frankly there is no change in risk profile.

it's just oppportunism by Insurance Co's, that's all.

As for 'existing' customers - I don't see ANY reward for being loyal to any Insurance Co at all, and that's before you say the words 'differential pricing' . https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/industry-market-sectors/insurance-reinsurance/review-of-differential-pricing-in-the-private-car-and-home-insurance-markets

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Jealous, tried Allianz on my 2007 Volvo S60 2.0. 42, full license, full ncb, 3 points, no claims.

Comp showing as €690 and TPFT at €680. With same bonus protection & breakdown assist as I currently have total comes to a whopping €779 which is miles off my renewal with 123 at €546. Couldn't beat the renewal last year, FBD were the only ones to come close and others were completely off the charts with Axa being over €1,450

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Despite all the negative press/supposed government pressure its all still wild west with insurers.

I've a 19 year old 2.0 petrol turbo subaru. Renewal time predictably price went up. Rang around, all the usual including aviva who "won't insure a car that old". Tried an post - a stunningly low fully comprehensive with full no claims protection etc for 320. Underwriters? Aviva. The same aviva that won't insure me.

And to add to it all I was with an post 2 years ago, same car and had to leave because they jacked up the price because of the car's age.. Which is now 2 years older.

Its a lottery. At least I won it this year, still think 320 was a mistake but ill take it, lowest I've ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muller1966

i have a 2004 Mercedes E320 petrol . I am 50 plus with full NCB . Any recommendations on where to source best quote . I have only bought car and am getting quotes of 1200 euro which is crazy . I appreciate it is a big engine older vehicle . Any assistance greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

Hi All, any recommendations for brokers for this situation? No luck so far. 16 year old Focus, small engine. I'm over 30 with no insured experience in the last 5 years so not getting quotes from anyone, apart from one 3k quote. I have experience from over 5 years ago which isn't being recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Some people on here getting quotes from Allianz sometime adding a second driver with experience can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Pekarirska

Toyota Corolla Verso 2006 1.6, 46 yo.

AIG Deluxe renewal €340, which is fully comprehensive and includes driving other vehicles and roadside assistance with homestart.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

I see plenty of IS200/Altezza on the road, all over 15 years old. How are people insuraning what many companies would consider a performance import when most have trouble getting a quote on small engine Irish domestic market car of the same vintage?

• Advertisement

Fully comp this year for €400, €480 last year.

Advertisement