Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Student vs Ordinary Student

• 24-02-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

So my son is 23 at this stage so would be considered a mature student. So 5 years ago he finished his leaving cert with enough points to meet the entry criteria for the course he would like to do today. So I would like to understand the definition of mature student. Is it that the mature student did not gain the necessary points and must undergo a form of appitude test to prove their ability to meet the requirements of the course. While my son has already the necessary points for the course and as such does not need to gain entry via the mature student path. I'm a bit confused about this and any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    So my son is 23 at this stage so would be considered a mature student. So 5 years ago he finished his leaving cert with enough points to meet the entry criteria for the course he would like to do today. So I would like to understand the definition of mature student. Is it that the mature student did not gain the necessary points and must undergo a form of appitude test to prove their ability to meet the requirements of the course. While my son has already the necessary points for the course and as such does not need to gain entry via the mature student path. I'm a bit confused about this and any help would be appreciated.

You might be better off posting in third level section. He can use his leaving cert points at any age. Once you have the entry requirements and the points for a course for that year you will be offered a place the same as anyone else.

There are also places allocated for mature students. Often an interview, essay or experience is looked at to gain these places.

If he applies he will go into both pools which work independently of each other but on the same cao application. Ticking to apply using leaving cert points and mature entry increases his chances of a place if the points increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

ElisaAtWar wrote: »

You can use the points and also apply as a mature.
    I applied as a mature and got offers based on my LC results and sat the tests for mature entry.
    Double check he has the points and the requirements met for entry and it won't matter.
    I'd personally still apply as a mature, two doors are better than one.

Advertisement