Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building 3D house model for VR

• 09-02-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone tried doing this? I'm currently at the point of designing a house for me and the family and would love to be able to create a VR model of it. Not fussed so much about the interior design and the furnishings, but to be able to get sense of the rooms and flow through the house would be amazing.

I have seen a few apps floating around but just wondering before I launch into my own project if I can benefit from some experience here.

Cheers!
    Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

What are you designing them in?

I looked into this before and there’s a Unity plugin for autodesk Revit, also there may be an Unreal engine one also.

Theres YouTube videos on how to create your own VR app for android using the Unity SDK so you could use the controllers to walk around inside the house, your essentially be making your own app but from videos it’s not that hard with very little to none programming involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Doge wrote: »
    What are you designing them in?

I looked into this before and there’s a Unity plugin for autodesk Revit, also there may be an Unreal engine one also.

Theres YouTube videos on how to create your own VR app for android using the Unity SDK so you could use the controllers to walk around inside the house, your essentially be making your own app but from videos it’s not that hard with very little to none programming involved.

When I say "I'm designing" I'm using the royal we and the architect is taking feedback on board :D

I'm in the process of trying to map his latest drafts out on sketchup but I'm not a 3D modeller so I'm doing it very very slow :D I'd prefer it with programming, that I can do :D

For some reason I assumed you wanted to view them on the Oculus Quest / 2 without needing to connect it to a pc.
    That's why I suggested the Unity route to make your own "game" with the model inside it.

If you don't need it on the quest and have a pc then this looks great....

VRSketch for SketchUp looks perfect not only for viewing but also creating and modifying stuff in VR. There's a free trial and it's also only 9 euro a month for hobbyists for non commercial use. Free for students.

https://vrsketch.eu/

I might take another craic at it tomorrow and look at this plugin. Have to admit, I'm finding it very hard to create even a basic model in 3D on the Desktop UI, but I think that's the learning curve rather than the app itself.

Ideally I'd like to build it on the computer and then be able to view it on the Quest2 if I can but at this point, I'd just like to be even able to get a few walls up and joining together :D

You should ask if the architect they have any CAD files they're making up for you.
    Might make it easier for you to import stuff or convert stuff for use in SketchUp.
    Keep us posted on how it goes, I was dead interested in this before but had to park it to the side.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    You should ask if the architect they have any CAD files they're making up for you.
    Might make it easier for you to import stuff or convert stuff for use in SketchUp.
    Keep us posted on how it goes, I was dead interested in this before but had to park it to the side.

Never thought to ask the architect......that actually makes a lot of sense.
    Gonna try that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Been following this , be curious to see how it goes. Architects are a lot more onboard with VR now , but its still early days .
    Also dont forget you might have to scale up the cad files (as otherwise in VR you might have a 'house for ants!'.

Advertisement