Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of waste

• 25-07-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Is there an alternative way of getting rid of general domestic rubbish to the "community recycling amenity centre?" I did a quarantine clear out of the house and shed and filled a small trailer with bags of rubbish. There was no glass, plastic containers, paint, oil, wood, paper, compostables or electrical bits. Just broken mixed materials from the attic, such as old toys, assorted bits from the garage and garden shed, plastic, netting, rope, rugs, rags etc.
    The man at the community recycling amenity centre wanted to charge me €7 per bag (kitchen swing-bin liner) incl VAT which would have come to about €100. I turned around and left.
    Since waste became a resource for private enterprise, there has been a massive increase in fly-tipping and I know that many of my neighbours burn their rubbish which is something I don't want to do but is there an alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Banbh wrote:
    Is there an alternative way of getting rid of general domestic rubbish to the "community recycling amenity centre?" I did a quarantine clear out of the house and shed and filled a small trailer with bags of rubbish. There was no glass, plastic containers, paint, oil, wood, paper, compostables or electrical bits. Just broken mixed materials from the attic, such as old toys, assorted bits from the garage and garden shed, plastic, netting, rope, rugs, rags etc. The man at the community recycling amenity centre wanted to charge me €7 per bag (kitchen swing-bin liner) incl VAT which would have come to about €100. I turned around and left. Since waste became a resource for private enterprise, there has been a massive increase in fly-tipping and I know that many of my neighbours burn their rubbish which is something I don't want to do but is there an alternative?

Yup, neoliberalism is our saviour, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Banbh wrote: »
    Is there an alternative way of getting rid of general domestic rubbish to the "community recycling amenity centre?" I did a quarantine clear out of the house and shed and filled a small trailer with bags of rubbish. There was no glass, plastic containers, paint, oil, wood, paper, compostables or electrical bits. Just broken mixed materials from the attic, such as old toys, assorted bits from the garage and garden shed, plastic, netting, rope, rugs, rags etc.
    The man at the community recycling amenity centre wanted to charge me €7 per bag (kitchen swing-bin liner) incl VAT which would have come to about €100. I turned around and left.
    Since waste became a resource for private enterprise, there has been a massive increase in fly-tipping and I know that many of my neighbours burn their rubbish which is something I don't want to do but is there an alternative?

Sounds like you have done a clean out for the first time in several years, as such 100E doesn't sound unreasonable.

All that stuff is literally going in to the ground and so is priced to encourage people to stop doing so. Hope you ultimately pay to dispose of it as it sounds like the only legal option short of leaving it back where you collect it from and then keep this in mind as you buy/use/move on products/materials in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

Your suppositions are incorrect.

In Europe, and in most of the civilised world, there are public waste disposal facilities. In Ireland waste is seen as another opportunity for the gombeen element to make a quick buck. It is disheartening to those of us who are meticulous about recycling and waste reduction to have to endure the littering and fly-tipping it causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

In a fair few european countries your property tax pays for a lot of your public services, waste being one of the main ones.

Helped a mate do up a flat he bought a few years ago in belfast - took 2 berlingo vans of rubbish to a disposal centre, carpets, old kitchen, tiles etc all gone - no charge; but then again his rates are £1000+

OP, if your normal waste bins aren't full just top them up over a couple of weeks and pretty soon np.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

Thanks. I think that's what I'll have to do, gradually fill up the regular bin. Should be gone by Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

My local place is €8 for a boot full or €16 for full car load, very reasonable when compared to costs to get a skip.

Advertisement