Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Megaliths from last weekend. 800PX PHOTO THREAD!

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hmmmmm
    A general lack of weathering ,surface differences all round and the clean breaks ,sharp edging suggest non antiquity.
    The early edition map makers were very generally accurate.
    What does local folklore say??
    Might these be quarried and brought in some time in the past
    the edges are catching my eye too recent / sharp etc

Which pictures are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hmmmmm
    A general lack of weathering ,surface differences all round and the clean breaks ,sharp edging suggest non antiquity.
    The early edition map makers were very generally accurate.
    What does local folklore say??
    Might these be quarried and brought in some time in the past
    the edges are catching my eye too recent / sharp etc

Possibly wrong forum/thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Possibly wrong forum/thread??

The Conspiracy Theory forum, perhaps?!! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I visited the Cavan Burren geopark a couple of weeks ago. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's a really special place: a fantastically preserved (mostly) Bronze Age upland landscape...with a distinctly ritual presence.
    Access has been provided to all of the monuments in a sensitive and unobtrusive manner.
    Most of the rock art below was recently uncovered during forestry clearance, and there is no doubt that much more remains to be uncovered.

433861.jpg

433862.jpg

433863.jpg

433864.jpg

433865.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Was that forest clearance recent because as far as I remember from my visit there several years ago the first megalith was in an area surrounded by trees, I could be wrong...Charles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

bogman wrote: »
    Was that forest clearance recent because as far as I remember from my visit there several years ago the first megalith was in an area surrounded by trees, I could be wrong...Charles
    Yes. The clear-felling is recent and ongoing. I’m not sure exactly how recent. Obviously since your last visit!

Advertisement