Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steering wheel shakes under braking

• 10-04-2021 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've discs on all four wheels. Pads have plenty of depth left on them and discs seem flat and not out of shape to the touch. All discs and pads are 2 yrs old and I don't drive much. I do park on a steep hill with handbrake applied. I have checked and there are some superficial marks on the driver's side front corner disc, these are lines, a bit like the spokes on a bike. It seems like the pad is sticking and rubbing the disc. I can't feel any indentations though.

The shaking of the steering wheel happens under braking only, the last few days.

However, it had also been happening for a few weeks intermittently even without me applying brakes, so maybe brakes had been sticking even without me pushing the brake pedal, and have loosened out, as I've been driving more lately.

I'm going to leave the car into a mechanic, but just wondering if someone here can diagnose from the symptoms, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Sounds like warped discs, do you feel any pulsing in the brake pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

DeWanderer wrote: »
    I've discs on all four wheels. Pads have plenty of depth left on them and discs seem flat and not out of shape to the touch. All discs and pads are 2 yrs old and I don't drive much. I do park on a steep hill with handbrake applied. I have checked and there are some superficial marks on the driver's side front corner disc, these are lines, a bit like the spokes on a bike. It seems like the pad is sticking and rubbing the disc. I can't feel any indentations though.

The shaking of the steering wheel happens under braking only, the last few days.

However, it had also been happening for a few weeks intermittently even without me applying brakes, so maybe brakes had been sticking even without me pushing the brake pedal, and have loosened out, as I've been driving more lately.

I'm going to leave the car into a mechanic, but just wondering if someone here can diagnose from the symptoms, please.

As previous poster said it could be warped discs, something as simple as overtightened lug nuts can warp the disc, if the pad is sticking it could possibly be the calliper guide pins gunked up and not releasing properly when you let off the brake pedal. If the shaking is only happening when braking then it's definitely an issue with the brakes couldn't really be much else

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Thanks both.

Im not sure if there is pulsing in the pedal. Will check when driving next.

I'll drop the car into the mechanic when I can and will post up what the problem turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

If it's happening without you applying the brakes, as you say,then it could be suspension bushings or maybe wheel balance.Or there could be a tyre beginning to deform etc.
    Discs can suffer from DTV( disc thickness variation) and that could be caused by a sticking caliper causing the disc to get hot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

dooroy wrote: »
    If it's happening without you applying the brakes, as you say,then it could be suspension bushings or maybe wheel balance.Or there could be a tyre beginning to deform etc.
    Discs can suffer from DTV( disc thickness variation) and that could be caused by a sticking caliper causing the disc to get hot etc.

I hear about "warped" discs all the time, but the problem is actually exactly as you said - Disk Thickness Variation.

Run out in the wheel bearing that is outside the manufacturers specification (usually 0.05mm on modern cars), cause the brake disc to have a slight run out while its rotating. The high point of the disc on each rotation erodes a little bit of material off the brake pad and consequently off the brake disc, so the disc gets thinner at that point. After 3,000 to 5,000 kilometres, this section of the disc has just enough worn off it that you can feel the pulsation in the steering wheel, and often the brake pedal as well.

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago, and even bought a dial indicator and a magnetic stand so I could measure run-out when fitting new discs :o
    You can usually rotate the disc 90/180 degrees or 1 stud at a time to make sure its within spec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Had similar issue, minus the intermittant shaking w/o braking and it was a worn tie rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

I was out there for a drive and can confirm nothing out of the normal in the brake pedal. No pulsing.

I went on a ten minute each way drive. Stopping for 2 minutes. Little or no shaking of steering wheel under braking on the way over. Shaking under braking on the way back.

Seems like things have gotten better, as I've been driving every day the last few days. While it had been once a week for couple of months prior to that.

I'll ask a mechanic to check it out and will report back here.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Advertisement