Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a trainee accountant position?

• 09-04-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently studying for ACCA exams, I will sit my third skills exam in June and I finished the IATI accounts technician course last year. I currently work in an administration type role, I have some dealings with cash, banking etc but it’s not accountancy based and as it stands, it would not qualify for the ACCA work experience. I know I need to get into an accountancy role in order to commence my work experience, but I don’t have a clue where to start! I am in my early 40’s and have been in my current job for almost 15 years, so there is a fair bit of nervousness about making such a big change. I am conscious that most trainees are 20 years younger than me so not sure how much of an issue that will be.

Also, I feel I know nothing at the moment! I am worried I would get thrown into the deep end in a new role and not be able for it. I’m not even sure what I’m really asking here! But how is the best way to go about getting a trainee role or internship? Do I just scour the job websites or is it better to try and get into one of the big companies intern programmes? I just feel very clueless about the whole thing so thanks in advance for any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭thefa

First off, I wouldn’t worry much about the age gap. I think 15 years in a company gives you an advantage over recent grads in a certain sense as you are less green to the workplace, loyal, potentially more responsible as well as motivated since you’ve taken this on in your own time along with your current job. These will stand to you going forward.

If you are targeting a training contract with the idea of becoming fully qualified, then I think showing a history of passing the exams is more important. I guess one of the main questions is what area do you want to work in? Practice or industry? Big company or small? Some might give you more interesting/wider scope of work while others might give you better exam support. Look to what subjects you’ve enjoyed so far and see can that provide some guidance. The scattergun application approach can be fine if you’re happy to work in any area.

Don’t worry about being thrown in at the deep end. No company worth its salt is going to have an intern/grad just in the door doing it’s consolidated accounts or tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Sorry for the delay in coming back, thank you for the reply Thefa. I don't know whether I want to go into practice or industry, my gut feeling is that industry might be a more realistic prospect given my age and experience, but I could have that totally wrong. Would I be better to wait a few months until I have more exams under my belt? I would hope to have skills level subjects finished by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

Where are you based Navy Blue? I would recommend a small/medium size practice is a good place to get training contract as it will allow you time off for exams and study. Be aware the pay level for these roles are very poor. I think you get abetter all round training in practice and it is easier to make transition from practice to industry rather than the other way around. I'm a CPA and I know their website has a recruitment section for role including trainee roles so maybe ACCA website has something similar?

Advertisement