Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offsite Storage

• 07-04-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good solution or service provider for offsite storage for a small business?

Our current provider is fine but we're scaling up due to needing to keep copies of a lot of CAD drawings and it's going to be too expensive at their set rates.

I don't know if we should be going for a DIY approach via Amazon S3 ort similar or handing it over to someone.

Right now we've the convenience of an application running locally where you include folders or subfolders > schedule the various backups and everything is managed from there - I'd like this same convenience again.

Not a massive amount of data - Maybe tending towards 500 GBs or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Really 500GB is childs play nowadays. For such a setup I'd have this model:
    Your normal NAS or server
    A second unit like a WD MyClould in the office also
    A third unit of same in the directors house/senior staff member if the director hasnt got decent internet.

Quick Rsync/Robocopy/whatever task will replicate your data to all three locations. In the age of ransomeware I'd strongly suggest one of your backups also be offline 99% of the time as otherwise ransomeware will just encrypt all three copies and youll be equally stuffed.

BTW Backblaze is 2.50/month for 500G.

Advertisement