Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surveys for older properties

Options
  • 19-04-2019 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Have just gone sale agreed on a property built in the 60's. A friend has suggested that we have a structural, heating and electrical survey of the property completed. Is this necessary, or would a surveyor generally check all of these?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The surveyor should be able to do as much of a structural survey is possible without causing damage. And good luck getting a vendor to agree to an invasive survey...

Are you planning on wholesale replacement of the electrics and heating? If you're being told they have been replaced, I'd personally want to make sure. Pre mid-70s wiring usually has insulation that degrades hugely (rubber; cord; isotycl phtalate degradation, which isn't the most dangerous but awkward) for starters. Also "shotgun" steel pipes could exist on 1960s radiator heating; these need to be replaced.

If you're going to replace the lot in short order, it barely matters. If you can't afford a rewire and replumb, you need to know that you're buying something useful

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

L1011 wrote: »
    The surveyor should be able to do as much of a structural survey is possible without causing damage. And good luck getting a vendor to agree to an invasive survey...

Are you planning on wholesale replacement of the electrics and heating? If you're being told they have been replaced, I'd personally want to make sure. Pre mid-70s wiring usually has insulation that degrades hugely (rubber; cord; isotycl phtalate degradation, which isn't the most dangerous but awkward) for starters. Also "shotgun" steel pipes could exist on 1960s radiator heating; these need to be replaced.

If you're going to replace the lot in short order, it barely matters. If you can't afford a rewire and replumb, you need to know that you're buying something useful

Shotgun should be replaced if it's degraded. But it's often a throw away comment. Same in my own house advised to pull out all the shotgun at considerable costs. I'd to move one rad.

Opened it up and not an ounce of degradation. If air isn't in the system then it's perfect fine and lasts decades.

Inspect rather than replace as there is plenty out there giving bad advice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

listermint wrote: »
    If air isn't in the system then it's perfect fine and lasts decades.

The house is already approaching 6 decades old.

Would need to dig in to this but I believe that insurers don't cover leaks from non-copper/plastic pipes same as they don't cover leaks from old steel water tanks.

I'm not a plumber!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Do if it puts your mind at rest, but it won't affect the price you pay for the house.
    The price you have agreed is market value ,all be it probably an inflated value in this day and age.
    It's up to you the buyer if you want to update everything to current code's.
    One the sellers house meets basic code's at time of construction there is no ownest on them to do any upgrading of electrical plumbing ect.
    Only thing they have to really insure is structural integrity of the building when selling and everything meets the codes present at time of construction.
    If there was an extension or renvations done these would have to meet newer codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

L1011 wrote: »
    The house is already approaching 6 decades old.

Would need to dig in to this but I believe that insurers don't cover leaks from non-copper/plastic pipes same as they don't cover leaks from old steel water tanks.

I'm not a plumber!

Where did you hear that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement