Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pointless roadside art.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

heart_ballyshannon1.jpg

ballyshannon bypass donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I like the horses on the roundabout at the entrance to Kildare Village shopping outlet - reminds me of the famine monument on the quays in Dublin and also game of thrones zombie horses:D

4894459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BuboBubo wrote: »
    There's a stainless steel tree with random stuff on it between Enniscorthy and New Ross. There's an unfathomable installation between New Ross and Wexford nobody can make sense of.

I actually like that ball in Naas ;)

I think the one on the N25 between New Ross and Wexford was designed so as you approach it,they amalgamate to form something. A kind of optical illusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I like the horses on the roundabout at the entrance to Kildare Village shopping outlet - reminds me of the famine monument on the quays in Dublin and also game of thrones zombie horses:D

4894459.jpg

There's some cows like that on the roundabout near the new Circle K on the M8 at Fermoy.

Edit - well, kind of like that. Not as much as I thought.

zLxQ1BQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Is there anything on the way to Galway (M4/M6)? It's the grimmest road in the country to travel on so could do with one every few km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The cows are cool too!

I like most of the roadside stuff I have to say, I can't quite figure out what the thing at citywest on the N7 is though, can't find a photo of it, it's like 3 or 4 oval birdcages stuck to a pole. It lights up but the bulbs are always blowing.

That ones a bit stupid I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There's some cows like that on the roundabout near the new Circle K on the M8 at Fermoy.

Edit - well, kind of like that. Not as much as I thought.

zLxQ1BQ.jpg

That's the cow-ndabout. (Gets coat) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Can't believe the hedgehog before Gorey wasn't mentioned yet. That thing is 100% rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

I really like the hedgehog on the N11.

The butterflies do nothing for me. Similarly the deconstructed Bridget's crosses on the N7 are meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

kneemos wrote: »
    A lot of it is good in fairness. Not sure what it adds to humanity though.

It brightens up the place, esp soulless motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

The one of the Irish warrior and the two wolfhounds at the entrance to newbridge is excellent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has to be the Naas ball. Like after an hour plus long slog of a commute do people really want to be looking at a giant ball covered in road markings?

?width=500&version=2461808

Whats worse is the 'artists' stiffed the local county council for €110,000 for that abomination, its like some sort of Celtic Tiger joke that has gone on for too long

Ha, never realised they were road markings!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's the negative space between the letters 'I' and 'f' ..I think!

Pretty sure the title is actually 'Negative If'. When I see it I think, " 'If' that wasn't there, the money could have been used for something worthwhile".

I do like some of the telephone cabinet graffiti style stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I like the big ball at Naas. My kids are fascinated by it. By contrast, the flower/windmill things on the M7 and the coloured cage thing at Citywest don't even register with them. That's a good test in my view.

Did I hear a story of the Big Ball breaking lose and rolling across the road some years back, or was that just a very obvious dream my lazy-ass subconscious came up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/bealachandoirin/status/736262135022559232

Quite like this outside Ballaghadereen, probably the only cool thing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I like the bull near J25 on M7 mentioned above.

Also like Cuchullain and his hounds near the Curragh

9027032982_e3f91c4616_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Danny_B wrote: »
    And then the infamous violin on the N5 Bypass in Longford.
    the_violin.jpg

Has a bit of kitsch value, like Australian 'big things', enormous sculptures of, well....things in various towns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My favourite is the unicorn on the Cork to Killarney road,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

The one of the Irish warrior and the two wolfhounds at the entrance to newbridge is excellent.

That is class, I hadn't seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Also love this one from the Killarney roundabout in Dingle.

4591e26f-9c44-4dc6-b8f3-1d953841ae96.JPG

Reminds me of my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's the negative space between the letters 'I' and 'f' ..I think!

Yeah, that's what I have been told anyway. Strange one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Those miniature beehive huts on the M1 look cool, like a little village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

....... wrote: »
    The Naas ball is actually a time capsule and has some stuff inside it.

As another poster mentioned, it annoys me that I just whizz past and dont get to read the info or even get the name.

Theres a boot Ive seen on the roadside in Carlow before - at least I think its a boot. I heard it was Leighlins boot - but who knows?

Micheal D Higgins is responsible for a lot of it.

I like it - I think public art is a good thing.

Two 'boots' assuming you mean the sculpture I think you do. Actually they're meant to be thrones. https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g551480-d8750412-Reviews-Seat_of_the_Kings_of_South_Leinster_Sculpture-Leighlinbridge_County_Carlow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

CDj5Qer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

At thats it!!!

So much for local knowledge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What about those hand yokes on the Kildare bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Duffryman wrote: »
    It's actually up to one per cent - https://publicart.ie/main/commissioning/funding/per-cent-for-art-scheme/

Think it's a horrendous waste of money myself. Could provide extra facilities for local communities instead. Maybe a playground or a riverside walk or upgraded community hall or sports facilities or the like.

There you go, even more than I thought it was! Agreed, huge waste of money, the 0.1% I thought it was would in fact be a more suitable figure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Feisar wrote: »
    with the exception of the three lads with their arms raised between Tullamore and Mullingar.

The only complaint I have about those three lads is that they're not somewhere that more people would get to see them. I'm a big fan of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I like the big ball at Naas. My kids are fascinated by it. By contrast, the flower/windmill things on the M7 and the coloured cage thing at Citywest don't even register with them. That's a good test in my view.

Did I hear a story of the Big Ball breaking lose and rolling across the road some years back, or was that just a very obvious dream my lazy-ass subconscious came up with?

I'd heard that the ball leaked and the time capsule was ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like the roadside art. Particularly the Naas ball. Think it looks great.

Not everything in life has to have a point. Somethings just look nice and add to the area.

Advertisement