Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Kerry

30 to 40 mm rainfall expected with risk of spot flooding, especially on coasts and hills.

Valid: Friday 08 February 2019 00:01 to Friday 08 February 2019 23:59

Issued: Thursday 07 February 2019 18:58

Updated: Thursday 07 February 2019 18:58

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

aisling86 wrote: »
    Is Erik not going to pack a punch or is everyone waiting to nowcast.... thought it would be alot busier here tonight.
    I have noticed a general apathy towards weather warnings and storms in my Galway workplace. This time last year people would be all chat about an upcoming storm but nobody mentioned Erik to me this week. Most are oblivious. That said, Storm Ali caught a lot of people off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

aisling86 wrote: »
    Is Erik not going to pack a punch or is everyone waiting to nowcast.... thought it would be alot busier here tonight.

Not going to impact the East Coast but if it was !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Marengo wrote: »
    Where are you located Aisling?

I'm mid cork, not expecting too much disruption, but my OH commutes to Tralee so I reckon he could have an interesting drive.
    Was just wondering in general really, it looks like it's due to drop some serious pressure, could definitely catch a few off guard alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Absolutely unnecessary to name this storm. It will be a typical heavy winter gale on the exposed west coast. I guarantee tomorrow people. Will be asking, yet again, what was the fuss about. Weather warnings have become a joke and I dread the day when a serious storm does hit us and no one pays any heed due to apathy and I fear the scenes of death and destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Interesting Jo on net weather mentioning that Met Eireann name storms on wind speed whereas Met in UK go on likely impact. Hard to ignore the feeling that they also believe storms are named too easily. The whole idea of naming storms needs to be reviewed. It isn't working correctly and as others have said it will lead to apathy and dis interest when a proper storm comes along!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

What I have learned on this thread, and on others recently, is basically no matter what ME do half the people on here will be giving out.

If they don’t name it it will be “cant believe they didn’t name this. Its much worse here than storm X last month”

If they do name it “can’t believe they named this its only going to be a normal windy day”

That’s life I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Bio Mech wrote: »
    What I have learned on this thread, and on others recently, is basically no matter what ME do half the people on here will be giving out.

If they don’t name it it will be “cant believe they didn’t name this. Its much worse here than storm X last month”

If they do name it “can’t believe they named this its only going to be a normal windy day”

That’s life I guess.

Well said. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bio Mech wrote: »

That’s life I guess.

Indeed. Rather than simply engage in the moaning, offer a solution.
    In this case the solution is very simply that the switch to impact based warning system needs to happen as soon as possible.

MÉ staff are no doubt wonderful but the red tape in any quango requires a chainsaw to cut through and get anything done. Combine this with the apathetic Irish "ah it'll be grand" attitude and you have a process which could be done in a week taking half a decade. Patently ridiculous situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Absolutely unnecessary to name this storm. It will be a typical heavy winter gale on the exposed west coast. I guarantee tomorrow people. Will be asking, yet again, what was the fuss about. Weather warnings have become a joke and I dread the day when a serious storm does hit us and no one pays any heed due to apathy and I fear the scenes of death and destruction.

The system has been agreed on, if something meets the criteria, it should be named. If met offices feel we're over naming Atlantic depressions that wouldn't get a mention in the 80s it's up to them together to change the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I had a long discussion of the storm naming system on Twitter yesterday. The below points pretty much are what my opinion on it is.

I like the idea of naming storms. As a weather historian, I find a naming storm system useful. It's easier to say Storm Ali for example than "a deep area of low pressure on 19th September 2018". I can recall storms easier this way too.

However, such a system needs to be treated with great sensibility. The way the current Mets (UKMO and Met Éireann) do it in my opinion is not very sensible (especially Met Éireann) and really inconsistent (especially UKMO).

Both agencies have entirely different criteria for naming storms. The UKMO's naming system is impact based whilst Met Éireann's is solely based on numerical criteria for gusts or mean wind speeds. I think the UKMO's way of doing it here is 100% superior but even it has problems.

There are many factors that affect how severe or impactful a storm can be. Factors include:

- Time of the day. If it's during the day like Ali when people are commuting and transport services are on, there will be impacts felt compared to at night when there aren't many people.

- Time of year. If it's during mid to late Winter and there are no leaves left on the trees, there will be less of an impact. In early to mid-Autumn when trees are in full leaf, big storms could be very impactful on roads.

- Geography. Is the area of likely impact inland or coastal? Coastal regions are exposed to quite strong gusts whilst strong gusts are relatively rare in inland areas. Fairly moderate winds for coastal regions could be considered strong to very strong in inland areas.

There's more factors but those are the main 3 I can think of. I wish Met Éireann would take a leaf out of the UK Met Office's book here and move to an impact based system as a result. However, that does not mean the UK Met Office does not have any problems, it certainly does.

The UK Met Office is inconsistent. There have been some very impactful storms that were not named (most notably 18 January 2018) and there have been some storms with little impact yet they were named. Met Éireann has a similar issue - mostly with the latter than former.

The current state of the naming storm system has a lot of issues that need to be resolved. One would wonder how on earth semi-state bodies like these Met agencies would be this unprofessional.

The naming storm system is seen as an advantage to the mainstream media in going over the top with scaremongering headlines. I understand this point but then again, the mainstream media is not really in the power of the Met agencies. Mainstream media articles like such should be illegal to be honest.

Last point here being that Met Éireann need to improve on their warning system majorly so. Giving a red or amber warning for the entire country when some areas will barely get a warranted yellow (using their silly fixed numerical criteria) is pathetically lazy.

Issue the necessary warnings for the areas likely to be impacted by the storm. Ophelia was not a stir in a teacup in my opinion but it was quite overhyped by the media and the fact that Met Éireann issued a red warning for the entire country which was not warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Are we in for more hysterical news reports from 'The Prom " in Salthill for the millionth time in the last couple of years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I think the best system to name storms would be using wind speed scale , which i think met are currently using. If they drop below the required scale should be called With an EX. For example if Eric wind speed dropped below, it should be called Ex Eric. I think this would work as the population would know what to expect if it's an ex storm or an actual storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind just starting to get up now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Potential for a Stingjet off the northwest coast?

wms?SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&EXCEPTIONS=INIMAGE&VERSION=1.3.0&LAYERS=meteosat%3Amsg_airmass%2Coverlay%3Ane_10m_coastline%2Coverlay%3Ane_10m_admin_0_boundary_lines_land&STYLES=raster%2C%2C&SRS=EPSG%3A4326&WIDTH=1686&HEIGHT=710&BBOX=38.162962813862,-47.742956657895,65.675463025458,17.589543844573&FORMAT=image%2Fjpeg&TIME=2019-02-07T20%3A00%3A00.000Z&

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oops69 wrote: »
    Are we in for more hysterical news reports from 'The Prom " in Salthill for the millionth time in the last couple of years ?

Likely not (thank god!), as high tide is quite early!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This may be one of those events that verifies as an orange level warning at coastal stations but seems more like a yellow level event to most of the population. However, I think it will play out as borderline yellow/orange for significant portions of the population in Connacht and north Clare. Bear in mind, this is coming in quite early, peak gusts may be around 0600-0900h (09-12 for west Ulster).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

more interesting than the wind is the potential for surprise snowfall around Kildare, Carlow, wexford and Waterford on Sunday morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some gust predictions, ARPEGE and ICON very strong in the W /NW , FMI- HIRLAM has backed off a bit. ECM has also brought strongest winds to the extreme W , N/W.

anim_vyj3.gif

arpegeuk-52-43-0_wfy5.png

iconeu_uk1-52-32-0_pjq1.png

aromehd-52-42-0_emo6.png

fmiuk-52-42-0_mzw1.png

0t4LvQ8.png

Tfb19zq.png

I6YaaPE.png

002CL6n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

re surprise snowfall: I agree and we have that possibility covered in the Boards forecast. I do think it will be partly limited by elevation but the potential is there for some snow in parts of the southeast by Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Euro 4 looks very strong along the coasts for a time

IW6nE6P.gif

jmRAQ9y.png

T41nU1j.png

031I7Ia.png

rw8MW38.png

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Any potential for surprise south Midlands? By that I mean gusts of 115-120km rather than maxing 95km or 100km?

Surely not.. I'm thinking, but for the experts is there any real possibility?

a rough few hours for Grace going on them Meteorite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

oh im looking foward to this,

10yi35z.jpg

a rough few hours for Grace going on them Meteorite!

The Islands look like they are going to get a battering alright.

The ECM 12Z did change it's track considerably keeping the center more offshore. This seems a big correction over previous runs, other European models over the last couple of runs showing much higher wind speeds and the track nearer to the coast. As I type the ARPEGE 18Z rolling out and it has tracked a bit further off the coast as has the WRF. These more in line with the HIRLAM now I reckon.

ECU1-24_tkf9.GIF

l6k5mqt.png

uOSfEFt.png

arpegeuk-2-21-0_ovv8.png

iconeu_uk1-2-13-0_ogj8.png

arpegeuk-2-15-0_qcv4.png
    hirlamuk-2-15-0_msh3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Possible wind gusts

Mace Hd 72knots
    Newport 70knots
    Belmullet 68 knots
    Malin Head 62 knots
    Finner 58 knots

Latest ARPEGE rolling out now, looking slightly down early morning but still very strong but the winds later Fri evening look stronger on this run with the warning levels possibly needing to be revised higher for tomorrow evening / Sat morning.

anim_ibb1.gif

Knock TAF issued at 11pm forecasting gusts up to 55 knots between 8am and 11am.

Cork max gusts 55 knots(5am to 7am)
    Shannon max gust 50knots(10am to 2pm)
    Dublin max 50 knots between 8am and 4pm.

Windy day ahead, be interesting to see the gusts at Belmullet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Latest ARPEGE rolling out now, looking slightly down early morning but still very strong but the winds later Fri evening look stronger on this run with the warning levels possibly needing to be revised higher for tomorrow evening / Sat morning.

Aha, sting in the tail then!

• Advertisement

AROME 18Z just out. That would be a wild night across the country Fri evening / Sat morning. Looks far stronger than the initall winds from the storm for many. Would bring more very heavy rain into Northern counties also. Would need to see other models verify this.

Now that would be a sting in the tail.

anim_cbk5.gif

anim_huj8.gif

Advertisement