Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gendarmerie?

• 21-11-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Would you be behind such an idea to form a military police force here in Ireland?

Take half of the members out of the Defence Forces and detach them to this proposed police force. Their main role being to back up AGS, whenever the case may arrise.
    Also, maybe limit their powers of arrest and jurisdiction over civilians, unless a member of AGS is with them.

Giving AGS the red button option of having two cars full of fit military trained men/women, landing down whenever things get out of hand, would IMO be an invaluable resource. Thus giving AGS a fighting chance in dealing with the ever increasing number of absolute scumbags, who terrorise decent people in this country, with what sometimes seems like total impunity.

Call such an idea crazy or insane, but I genuinely feel that the Gardaí have lost control in certain areas. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The rebirth of the Black & Tans!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

No. What a cringy post. You think a SWAT team will suddenly cure society?

Heck just cut out the middleman and give everybody guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Could we call them "The Lads"rather than the Gendarmerie?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The Gards haven't lost control. They've lost interest. What's the point of arresting, charging and prosecuting the same people every month when all they get is a slap on the wrist and released back to offend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They are army trained to be an army

They are not trained to be police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is that not what the ARU/RSUs were set up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I didn't mention anything about guns or "SWAT" teams.

SSr0 wrote: »
    I didn't mention anything about guns or "SWAT" teams.

Why are you authoritarian mate? Do you feel like youre losing control? Violent notions towards certain people?

Be honest, why feel the need to murder? Thats the bottom line isnt it? That your proposal will kill some people and itll cure society?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Why are you authoritarian mate? Do you feel like youre losing control? Violent notions towards certain people?

Be honest, why feel the need to murder? Thats the bottom line isnt it? That your proposal will kill some people and itll cure society?

You got me, my real name is actually Adolf...

SSr0 wrote: »
    You got me, my real name is actually Adolf...

More like George Bush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The Gards haven't lost control. They've lost interest. What's the point of arresting, charging and prosecuting the same people every month when all they get is a slap on the wrist and released back to offend again.

Exactly.

If i was arresting the same c*nt every couple of months just to see them rack up charges and walk free every time then i'd reach a point where i just wouldn't bother anymore, i don't blame them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Exactly.

If i was arresting the same c*nt every couple of months just to see them rack up charges and walk free every time then i'd reach a point where i just wouldn't bother anymore, i don't blame them at all.

Guess we're lucky our guards don't have the same attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is that not what the ARU/RSUs were set up for?

It's exactly what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Grayson wrote: »
    Guess we're lucky our guards don't have the same attitude.

I agree, it's not a job i could do myself so fair play to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

An annual Purge or Hunger Games might solve a few social problems :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I don't recall the ERU/ASUs complaining that they are under resourced - they probably have more money spent on them per person than any other operational unit in terms of equipment and training.

The problem is not enough frontline gardai walking the streets and doing community policing. A gendarmerie would not be appropriate for that, and the defense forces would have to be retrained, at considerable expense, for policing duties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

First why dont we recruit train and equip the gardai properly

then correct the behavior of the judges and solicitors to properly punish criminals and isolate them from the rest of us.

coupled with proper secure treatment for those with addiction issues and mental health problems

public confidence is raised quality of life improved for all and people think long and hard about the consequences of crime before they choose to commit one.

but that would be classed as a fascist far right science fiction work of Robert A. Heinlein or Joe Haldeman,

be nice though woulnt it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

if they were going to be paid the same as guards, why not just recruit more guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

How about we just employ a police force that are both interested and capable of doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Jail is full.

We will have to go Brazilian on this and start disappearing people.

"That pedo rapist guy - I haven't seen him around in a while!"

"Yeah now that you say it. Ah well. Reminds me: I must bring in the last of the turf from the bog."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

topper75 wrote: »
    Jail is full.

"Yeah now that you say it. Ah well. Reminds me: I must bring in the last of the turf from the bog."

Nearly December, you need to get a move on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That is a cosmically terrible idea and totally unnecessary, particularly given that we already have a police unit with guns out the wazoo, to be deployed as and when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We need more normal gardai not a new type of gardai. Transport police would be the most worthwhile new force. The ERU and the ARU cover what you described OP.

joe40 wrote: »
    Nearly December, you need to get a move on

Hold your horses - my proposed Disappearing Programme and suspension of habeus corpus won't be implemented until summer 2020 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

MadYaker wrote: »
    We need more normal gardai not a new type of gardai. Transport police would be the most worthwhile new force. The ERU and the ARU cover what you described OP.

I don't think going down the UK-esque route of Traffic Wombles will solve anything except a public service budget surplus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

topper75 wrote: »
    Jail is full.

Could we not just go "Saudi" on this one and chop people's hands off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people"
    -Adama

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

No, because these super police arrest these guys, they get another conviction to add to the list, and it's out the door of the Courts a free man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

at least the ARUs look semi professional. Ordinary gardai in their manky ill fitting hivis anoraks look a fooking state

• Advertisement

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people"
    -Adama

A noble chap if ever there was one.
    Adama-classic-battlestar-galactica-14627280-1170-570.jpg

Advertisement