Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Connors is a bit of a wanker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A bit ironic that a thread calling a Traveller a wanker turns out to be no more than the ever frequent After Hours anti-Traveller circlejerk.

I'm not sure you quite get the concept of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gwan After Hours, you gas ****.

What does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm not sure you quite get the concept of irony.

I think he does. **** calling someone a wanker is ironic.

Omackeral wrote: »
    What does that even mean?

I find it very amusing the same group of posters bang the same anti-traveller, anti-women, anti-forgeigner drum ad-finitum and then suggest someone else has a chip on their shoulder. Comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Made up my mind on him when he condoned robbing a 50c loaf of Lidl’s bread despite getting the €188 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I find it very amusing the same group of posters bang the same anti-traveller, anti-women, anti-forgeigner drum ad-finitum and then suggest someone else has a chip on their shoulder. Comical.

What’s that got to do with quoting me though? How am I anti-women or anti-foreigner in any way shape or form. As for Travellers, point out any untruths I posted. Go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's like when you see someone protesting against the KKK. Those anti racist feckers. Always with the chip on their shoulders. Always pointing the fingers and saying "wracist". And they're the ones stiffling free debate by calling racist everytime they see a guy burning a cross.

What’s that got to do with quoting me though? How am I anti-women or anti-foreigner in any way shape or form. As for Travellers, point out any untruths I posted. Go ahead.

If I mention Louise O'Neills, John Connors or Tommy Robinson you would get so worked up you will ignore any sort of reasonable debate, so I won't.

I just think it's funny anyway. I'm not arsed arguing about it.

If I mention Louise O'Neills, John Connors or Tommy Robinson you would get so worked up you will ignore any sort of debate, so I won't.

I just think it's funny anyway. I'm not arsed arguing about it.

Well done.

• Advertisement

Well done.

Haha, we've been here before. Fool me once...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Nidgy took his eye off the ball there.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

I work in a prison. They're massively, massively over represented within the system when compared to their numbers in the general population.

And the best place to find one in prison is in the que for the governor of a morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'm a victim boss, now hand over the cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Making assumptions there. I grew up in the heartland of Westies territory. Both my parents are from Finglas and I spend more time with gangsters than I do with my own family thanks to my job. There was fcuk all to ''get''.

It was a wafer thin story, that fella playing the psycho was the worst thing I've ever seen and the other two pals hadn't an ounce of charisma between them. Ending was pure gick too. I'd name 15/20 better Irish films off the top of my head. I enjoyed Stephen Clinch and it is quite fun seeing some areas you know on the big screen but calling it brilliant is such a stretch, nothing memorable at all about it really.

It was instantly forgetable.

Along the lines of White Collar Hooligan, The Ice Cream wars, and other straight to DVD "classics" from the likes of Paul Tanter. Although Tanters are a lot better written and acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A bit like the ones who defend traveller actions, sorry culture, are also the ones playing down terrorists and rapists from a certain background.

I know you would lump me into the above category, but the funny thing is I like foreigners quite a lot and I like women quite a lot.
    And I bet most of the guys here are the same. :D

But of course just because we don't want foreigners, or even natives, who subscribe to a certain religious and cultural ideology we must be, by your myopic definition, racist and against all foreigners.

Hell I would swap you and your cohorts for any foreigners, bar the ones subscribing to a certain incompatible ideology or the twonks from the likes of the religious right in the US.

And even better I would gladly swap all the well meaning socially liberal hipster males for foreign women any fecking day of the week.

But fook it I must be a racist misogynist all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Pack It In wrote: »
    Who is he and why should I care about his opinions?

He's the closest the travelling community have to a Mahatma Gandhi or a Martin Luther King, but speaks and acts like a cross between Conor McGregor and the Brad Pitt character from Snatch, while manfully hauling around an entire forest on his shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Gravelly wrote: »
    He's the closest the travelling community have to a Mahatma Gandhi or a Martin Luther King, but speaks and acts like a cross between Conor McGregor and the Brad Pitt character from Snatch, while manfully hauling around an entire forest on his shoulder.

d'ya like dags mcgregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gravelly wrote: »

Thanks for that. Honestly thanks. i had no idea who the thread was about :) Like most people the first person i thought of was the person who saves us from skynet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It’s not valid in any country as a whole. It’s valid in pockets of the USA where there are “ghettos” and socio-economic problems among the African American community. However, as someone else said, black people in America by and large are well-integrated. They by and large are educated. They by and large are law-abiding. They by and large have jobs and pay taxes.

Can you say all of that about travellers in Ireland? Not a chance.

it's still valid, blacks apparently have a higher representation in relation to crime just like travelers. the same things as said about all travelers dispite a minority only being involved in crime, were once said in the mainstream about all blacks dispite only a minority of them being involved in criminal activity. so yes the poster's post was accurate.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Honestly thanks. i had no idea who the thread was about :) Like most people the first person i thought of was the person who saves us from skynet.

Maybe someday he will save us from Skynet, though if the main victims of Skynet were to be "the settled community" then probably not.

it's still valid, blacks apparently have a higher representation in relation to crime just like travelers. the same things as said about all travelers dispite a minority only being involved in crime, were once said in the mainstream about all blacks dispite only a minority of them being involved in criminal activity. so yes the poster's post was accurate.

I think that could be where your argument falls down, boss. How come 95% of posters on here and in real life (and that number is probably being conservative) have nothing but bad experiences and bad reports about members of the Travelling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Is following his tweets the equivalent of the person I know in the 1980s who used to buy The mirror, which at the time has a very anti-Irish bias, they purchased the paper just to get annoyed and outraged at its anti-Irish bias!.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Is following his tweets the equivalent of the person I know in the 1980s who used to buy The mirror, which at the time has a very anti-Irish bias, they purchased the paper just to get annoyed and outraged at its anti-Irish bias!.

Not on twitter myself so only see his hypocritical vitriol spread across other media platforms. He’s in magazines, on radio and on tv.

I think that could be where your argument falls down, boss. How come 95% of posters on here and in real life (and that number is probably being conservative) have nothing but bad experiences and bad reports about members of the Travelling community?

We're all wrong - travellers are, in reality, kind and gentle souls, full of music and song, hardworking, law-abiding, and god-fearing, and all the experiences every single person you meet in real life has had at the hands of the travelling community is the result of a biased and racist viewpoint of the tiny proportion of the travelling community who only act that way because of the terrible suffering they have endured at the hands of the evil settled community who consistently refuse to allow them to live their lives free of the burdens of settled community rules and regulations, while resenting the freedom the travelling community have to ignore the foolish bonds of work, housing, taxes, education, responsibility, and not slicing the fück out of people with slash hooks.

(or something to that effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

That’s it, really.

Just a little bit maybe.. As an actor he's very one dimensional, he's no Tom Hanks. Couldn't see him playing any other type of character than the one he usually gets cast in, or casts himself in but he does have his fans. He's a bit like marmite, you either love him or hate him.

I’d love an actual straight answer tbh from EOTR or Summer in the City or Grayson. Why do the overwhelming majority of people you speak to and read about have negative dealings with Traveller people?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just a little bit maybe.. As an actor he's very one dimensional, he's no Tom Hanks. Couldn't see him playing any other type of character than the one he usually gets cast in, or casts himself in but he does have his fans. He's a bit like marmite, you either love him or hate him.

Would you say people have a Love / Hate relationship with him?:D:D:D

He's always cribbing with the poor mouth. "He can’t get an agent to represent him and no film-makers or casting directors will look past the fact that he’s a Traveller"

And yet here he is, in Movies, on the TV. How is this possible if "no film makers or casting directors are looking at him"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Why do the overwhelming majority of people you speak to and read about have negative dealings with Traveller people?

They just seem to have a certain knack of rubbing people up the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pretty crap actor tbh, there are other travellers who act and have much 'deeper' presence onscreen.

He's done well and fair play but I have no idea where his media push has come from as he's just not very likable, no matter what his heritage is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement