Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Inspirational" quotes...

Options
  • 04-01-2017 4:56pm

...they are taking over, social media, chalked on boards in cafes and restaurants, I even opened the box containing runners the other day to be greeted with "obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated". What sort of inane nonsense is this? Why would I need the extra edge of a lame quote after I had bought their bloody runners? Where did this craze start? I get advertising tag lines, but they are usually catchy as opposed to clunky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it OP.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

(Terry Pratchett)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

"Inspirational" quotes...

Ask me Bollix - Works in so many situations

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What you can do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Then just knock it on the head - no use being a damn fool about it. Find something you're good at, Poindexter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jimgoose wrote: »
    If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Then just knock it on the head - no use being a damn fool about it. Find something you're good at, Poindexter.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I was growing up, you'd see the odd inspirational quote, from famous philosophers, military tacticians, huge leaders of industry.

Now its the likes of Beyonce, Simon Cowell and Alan Rickman.

How times change.

What you can do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done.

The moment you commit yourself, is the moment you are assured the Sales droids will find a way to overcommit you and you'll look like an idiot.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Trying is the first step towards failure.

You must unlearn what you have learned, Grasshopper. The Empty Head is the beginning of Wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You've only got one body, and you've already ruined it.

Your family loves you because they have to.

It's not just Monday, your whole life sucks.

Some people just aren't going to find love.

If you cant laugh at yourself that's okay, because the rest of us can laugh at you instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.... I'm not sure when the transition happens though... I'm feeling older, but non the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"It's better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single tumblr quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"It's all a load of old ****, isn't it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Push. Go past the max. Reach over the top. Master your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If you are not improving you are dis-improving.

Padraic Harrington on why he was going to change his swing after winning the LAST of his majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Wherever you go, there you are.

I like that one, it's very simple and accurate and makes good sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If at first you don't succeed, you shouldn't have started in the first place.

One to keep in mind when starting future threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

OP, if you wait long enough by the river, the bodies of your enemies will float by.
    So just be patient and everything and everyone will eventually die.

• Advertisement

I'm not pathologically lazy - I refuse on principle to contribute to the eventual heat-death of the Universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

"Ah well, sure you're not learning unless you are making mistakes"

*That's what I say everytime I screw up in work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

DO A BARREL ROLL!
    Peppy Hare

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love how must of these quotes about making the most of life, living each day to the max etc are posted by pverweight, lazy bastards who sit on FB all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Philosophy doesn't get the dishes done. How wise CJ was:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Clarebelly wrote: »
    DO A BARREL ROLL!
    Peppy Hare

Clarebelly, he was there,
    He did his famous roll,
    He stuck his head between his legs
    And vanished up his hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

"There are 3 ways to get a thing done: the right way; the wrong way; and the Max Power way"
    "Isn't that the same as wrong way?"
    "Yes, but faster!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Great doors turn on humble hinges.

Eat humble pie OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12031212/Scientists-find-link-between-people-impressed-by-wise-sounding-profound-quotes-and-low-intelligence.html
    Scientists find link between people impressed by wise-sounding, 'profound' quotes and low intelligence

A new study has shown that people who believe in psuedo-profound, intellectual-sounding quotes are less intelligent

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »

Wonder is there any link with shortening attention spans in a world where we are bombarded with clickbait articles, Twitter etc. I see fewer and fewer wrestling with books and perhaps unaware that it can take a bit more than a few words to convey a message worth considering.

Advertisement