Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celtic Legends

Options
  • 08-09-2003 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I'm really interested in the old irish legends but I cant seem to find a good book that contains more than one or two stories and most of the websites ive found summerise long tales down to only a paragraph or two. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've skimmed through "Early Irish Myths and Sagas" by Jeffery Gantz (Penguin). This might be what you'd be looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭shock

Speaking of Celtic legends can anyone remember the name of the hound Cu Culainn killed, its been buging me for ages and i cant find it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

the hound of ulster, which i think translates as Cu Ulaid

Thanks Vader, Maybe now i can get some sleep.

wait a min. im not sure about that. The blacksmith who owned the hound was called Chulann, so when Senete killed it he was renamed Cu-Chulainn, ie chulann's hound but that the origional was the called cu-ulaid doesnt sound right. I think it was the hound of ulster in english but cant be sure

• Advertisement

Im trying to decide betweem:
    1)Early Irish Myths and Sagas
    2)Irish Myths and Legends
    3)Celtic Myths and Legends

but its hard. Can you remember which stories are in "Early Irish Myths and Sagas" or does anyone else know anything about any of the other books on my list?

think i have some of them somewhere, i'll have a look for em.

Advertisement