Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Annual Leave in January

Options
  • 21-04-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right to post but anything goes here.

For those of you working, would you ever take your 2 weeks holidays in January or February and then still have a fairly long year ahead? I usually take a few days aroud April or May then my 2 weeks August/September but next year I may have an option to go away in January.
    Jut not sure I can go a whole year with approx 10 days annual leave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I used to take two weeks in January, a week in March, three weeks in August, and odd days here and there.

It depends on how many days leave you have, or can build up.

But to use it all on January and face a full year with none - madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would be taking 10/11 days so around half my allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Gael23 wrote: »

For those of you working, would you ever take your 2 weeks holidays in January or February and then still have a fairly long year ahead? I usually take a few days aroud April or May then my 2 weeks August/September but next year I may have an option to go away in January.

You already go a whole year without a two week break... August- August.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Could you go to a few conferences later in the year for a breather from the office?
    That's why the Americans go to places like the tech summit, they only get 10 days holidays per year.
    Good opportunity to hook up too.

I couldn't do it but I think it's a psychological thing, I always carryover a/l even though they don't like it, can you work o/t and build up a/l rather than get paid for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Does your company’s AL calendar run January-December? That’s pretty unusual in Ireland, a lot would do April to April or May to May, the logic being that people can satisfy the high demand period of summer and then have days left over for the usual few necessary days at Christmas.

Also, I think getting away in January is perfect if you have the money. I personally hate how depressing the work environment is in January, especially in the financial services industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I usually save my holidays. It's almost May and I still have 24 of 28 to use. I'd probably be ok using 10/11 early because I'd have plenty left over but if I was using more than half I think I'd struggle for the rest of the year. It's great getting to August or September with a few weeks annual leave left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Mr.S wrote: »
    January / February is a great time to go away, and a nice start to the year ahead.

10 days for the remainder of the year is actually a fair bit, it's 2 weeks off from work - just use them around bank holidays / take Friday or Monday off and have long weekend breaks.

If you run out there's always the option of unpaid leave if needed.

I try to use bank holiday weeks, only use 4 days (Tuesday to Friday), which saves a day each time. Works well and you have friends and family off on the Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Last year I took 3 weeks off in February as I went to Thailand and that’s when the weather tends to be best. Also managed to go to Italy for 10 days in September and Iceland for 5 days in November. These days include my weekends so really I used a lot less actual annual leave days. I also took 2 days off for weddings. Oh and a week off (including the weekend) for Christmas. Didn’t take any random days off or half days or anything like that.

Holidays reset in January. We work bank holidays so get days in lieu and also get and extra 3 days holidays at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

A couple of times I've gone to the sun for Christmas. Take the last working week of the year off, take the Christmas holidays, then take the first week of January. It's nice to get heat and long bright days at that time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Get a medical cert for 3-4 days later in the year!

Allinall wrote: »
    You already go a whole year without a two week break... August- August.
    That’s a good point, but then it’s nearly 18 months before your next holiday
    This is it wrote: »
    I try to use bank holiday weeks, only use 4 days (Tuesday to Friday), which saves a day each time. Works well and you have friends and family off on the Monday too.
    Had thought about this. Take say the August bank holiday week and only use 4 annual leave days. I can possibly work up 2 or 3 days by working bank holidays but that’s not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

holidays are for the weak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

holidays are for the weak

They’re so last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Gael23 wrote: »

You can always whinge to your colleagues for the rest of the year.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Get a medical cert for 3-4 days later in the year!
    Could do a bit of that too. I’ve regular hospital appointments 3 times a year which I always take days off for. Could take them as sick days

Advertisement