Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you good or kill you, Just Veg for a month?

• 10-04-2019 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭

I am not talking about a weight loss diet per say, Just thinking about going healthy ? for 6 weeks. Only steamed or boiled veg, plenty of water and no gargle,tea or coffee. I normally walk for an hour each evening anyway but a stone lost would do no harm either.
    I love meat though especially Lamb's Liver, Steak, Boned stuffed Chicken breasts etc....This is worse than my decision to stop smoking, or no drink for lent...
    I am afraid ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Your pants should be afraid, trust nothing down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Not committing to two scatological focused threads.
    I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Id love to hear how you get on-how you feel physically and emotionally. Im a big meat eater and would like to swop some meat from veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say the smell from your emissions would be dodgy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Wtf?
    Read it again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Why not just try a week first?

If I was to go this I'd have to say yes to nuts and eggs too.

It can be done for sure. A previous colleague did this sort of - he went on salads for lunch every day for a month. Lost a considerable amount of weight that he was happy with.

Would you consider organic stuff?

Would love to hear your progress and your weightloss reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Pretty crazy idea, OP.

There aren't many calories in vegetables at all. You could eat 1 kg of vegetables such as spinach, salad greens, celery, cucumbers, etc., and take in around 200 calories, roughly equivalent to one small Mars Bar. A man should eat a minimum of 1,500 calories a day (a woman 1,200) even while losing weight.

You're also going to get very little protein or fat. Eating vegetables is healthy as part of a balanced diet, but eating only vegetables for a whole month is probably not a good idea.

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Why not just try a week first?

If I was to go this I'd have to say yes to nuts and eggs too.

It can be done for sure. A previous colleague did this sort of - he went on salads for lunch every day for a month. Lost a considerable amount of weight that he was happy with.

Would you consider organic stuff?

Would love to hear your progress and your weightloss reports.
    Ok, Starting tomorrow till my birthday 19 May.
    I have had meat every day since I remember. My late,kinda Religious but suspicious Mother never spoke to me on Friday but Good Friday was the worst
    Will keep you posted.

Pretty crazy idea, OP.

There aren't many calories in vegetables at all. You could eat 1 kg of vegetables such as spinach, salad greens, celery, cucumbers, etc., and take in around 200 calories, roughly equivalent to one small Mars Bar. A man should eat a minimum of 1,500 calories a day (a woman 1,200) even while losing weight.

You're also going to get very little protein or fat. Eating vegetables is healthy as part of a balanced diet, but eating only vegetables for a whole month is probably not a good idea.

Potatoes are a notable omission, speaking of calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sheer folly! Cut back on meat if you wish. Incorporate more fruit and veg in to your diet. Eat more chicken and fish instead of red meat. Cutting out major sources of protein and iron in one foul swoop is not to be recommended.

It's called using a bit of common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I'd say the smell from your emissions would be dodgy.

It'd never pass the NCT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

This is why the cabbage soup diet isn't sustainable (you'll fart whomever you live with into next week):O

Pretty crazy idea, OP.

You never mentioned ****loads of spuds in your lettucepatch demo and I dont mean to sound like a Smartarse either and appreciate your comment.
    What has protein apart from meat ? Thank's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Stopped eating meat eight years ago. Healthier than ever. Just lol at all the tender folk on here that think your world will end or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wtf ? wrote: »
    You never mentioned ****loads of spuds in your lettucepatch demo and I dont mean to sound like a Smartarse either and appreciate your comment.
    What has protein apart from meat ? Thank's

Quinoa , chickpeas, lentils, oats, barely, soya, eggs, dairy, nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i love meat and would never consider giving it up. and this comes from an ardent animal lover.

i cant see how veg for a week or month is healthy. by all means cut down/out meat but just veg isnt practical or healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have heard that you can overdose on fibre in the first few weeks. If you have been eating meat all your life and are serious about giving it up I would take it one day at a time.

The fibre overdose can initially make you quite regular, however it can go the other way after a few days, feeling bloated etc. Your energy levels will probably drop and you may feel unwell for a while. This will improve, but I think if you are serious about giving up meat you should get proper advice as you go.

Don't kill yourself, there is nothing wrong with eating meat, it is very normal. Sure, eat less and maybe you might feel better about yourself, but I think mixing it up and having a varied diet is a lot less extreme and a lot more normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think not eating meat is as much of an issue as restrictive way you intend to prepare veg. I'm a meat eater who loves veg, nuts, pulses. I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand vegetables after a month of boiled or steamed blandness.

Well still on the diet apart from a night 10 days ago when I was nearly quitting and ordered a veg curry online. I have lost 18 lb but thats also walking every day and water most of the time instead of coffee. I really don't feel deprived as I eat as much veg to fill me and thats it. I do miss bread the most and fizzy drinks to clear the ****e from my tongue but fizzy water does that too. I miss something sweet really. 20 days to go anyway.
    Sorry for the late update.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I stopped eating meat for about a month before Christmas, eggs fish and nuts were my protein sources in that time. I lost a few pounds without going to the gym that month, had a couple beers and still drank coffee so wasn't going to extremes.
    I probably only eat red meat once a month now, eat chicken and lamb but not as much as I used to. Definitely feel better although it could be down to just eating more veg,pulses to fill in the gap that meat left as opposed to meat being that bad for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I never eat red meat and I'm perfectly healthy. The trick is to cook it until it's brown. This increases the nutrient and calorie content and kills harmful bacteria too.

The thought of eating red meat disgusts me in all honesty, but if people want to do it, have at it. I just prefer it when it's brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Well still on the diet apart from a night 10 days ago when I was nearly quitting and ordered a veg curry online. I have lost 18 lb but thats also walking every day and water most of the time instead of coffee. I really don't feel deprived as I eat as much veg to fill me and thats it. I do miss bread the most and fizzy drinks to clear the ****e from my tongue but fizzy water does that too. I miss something sweet really. 20 days to go anyway.
    Sorry for the late update.

How is your body adjusting?
    Have you omitted sauces, butter, oil?
    You've got me intrigued now - what do you eat for breakfast, dinner etc?

Teepinaw wrote: »
    How is your body adjusting?
    Have you omitted sauces, butter, oil?
    You've got me intrigued now - what do you eat for breakfast, dinner etc?
    No, I still add butter to spuds,cabbage etc. The secret is not to kill yourself otherwise I would have given up ages ago.
    As to the body, My No2,s are regular now and once a day seems to do. I dont mean to be graphic but when I use the toilet now I feel a huge relief and just carry on. I hope that answers your Q

Stopped eating meat eight years ago. Healthier than ever. Just lol at all the tender folk on here that think your world will end or something.

So, where do you get your D3, B12, calcium, iron etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There no badge of honour in embracing a way of eating that makes you feel better. It's really not a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Am I reading that right that you lost 18lbs in three weeks??

Am I reading that right that you lost 18lbs in three weeks??
    Yes, About 6 lbs per week, Bear in mind I was 18st starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

i love meat and would never consider giving it up. and this comes from an ardent animal lover...

There isn't any contradiction in these positions, however much vegetarian propaganda would like there to be.

Watch animals. They eat other animals. My cat ripped a blue tit apart this morning before my alarm clock even went off. This same cat knows to avoid large strange dogs and always to have an escape route. All this may be ugly to some of our sensibilities but it is at the very centre of all life on our planet. Your incisors did not evolve in your mouth to rip particularly tough pieces of lettuce.

Small order animals, some unicellular, in the earth will eat me when my time comes. As they should. This is the cycle. Woe betide the arrogance of those who think that the order of nature is theirs to determine. Vegetarianism is a quasi-cult built purely on sentiment and is utterly incapable of any vision or understanding beyond doe-eyed Disney caricatures. 99.99% of all meat a human consumes is from an animal that didn't even know it was being killed. Which is more than I can say for that poor blue tit, bless it. Bad kitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Are you not eating fruit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yes, About 6 lbs per week, Bear in mind I was 18st starting off.

That's still quite quick. Combined with the fact that you're taking in almost zero protein I'd say you've lost a lost of muscle along with fat, and another 20 days will do further damage, especially with a daily hour of cardio.

Would you add in some eggs, even just the whites, some tofu, nuts and seeds? Health food shops sell nutritional yeast which is 50% protein and usually fortified with b12, very low calorie and you can sprinkle it on basically everything savoury.

Also I hope you're eating a broad variety of vegetables, not just relying on spuds and 3 or 4 others.

Sincere congratulations on the weight loss and I'd say it'll be easy to stay away from the junk after this, it'll taste like just that, junk. But (I'm not a doctor) this seems like a far too fast and nutritionally insufficient way to go about things.

Advertisement