Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breaky Bitcoin Blues

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

No surprises, they crack down on everything good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭kerplun k

kerplun k wrote: »
    That's a very bold statement to say BTC will never recover from this, of course it will. I've set a reminder to poke you when it hits 5.5 again. :pac:

seamus wrote: »
    5.5 is a very soft target. It could bounce up to that (and back down again) next week. ;)

Nevertheless, I'm pretty confident you'll never receive that reminder.

In 2025 there'll be a thread entitled, "Who remembers Bitcoin? Did you make any money out of it?"

Poke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Fuking bullsh1t though.

No reason for it, if anything another $40 million getting stolen off Binance...price should be plummeting.

Whales must think enough time has passed since last pump to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

vargoo wrote: »

Fuking bullsh1t though.

No reason for it, if anything another $40 million getting stolen off Binance...price should be plummeting.

Whales must think enough time has passed since last pump to do it again.

Do you own any cryptocurrencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Crypto has made a nice recovery with some 50% up this week alone.

Bitcoin has surpassed $8,000 having been as low as $3,500.

So those referred to in the OP may not be too badly off after all. Hopefully they held.

What the future holds who knows but certainly a fascinating investment option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

man all the people calling it a pyramid scheme, tulips etc....
    longest pyramid scheme ever if thats the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Is there anyone on here using arbitrage strategies with crypto currency exchanges?

How are you getting on with it? I would be curious to know as I am considering looking into it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

Serves people right for buying crypto currency.. Useless numbers on a screen

seamus wrote: »
    I'm afraid nox, with all due respect, this belief that a rally is more likely than a collapse reveals your ignorance about just what bitcoin is.

Sell now, get out while you have something. In a decade, bitcoin will be a piece of history and nothing more.

I hope no crypto investor reading the above paid it any heed, I know I certainly didn’t.

Since this bit of advice to “sell now” my portfolio has increased x4 and is approaching break even (which I have no intention of selling at either as I didn’t invest to break even and will ride it out to see where things go from there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

We're all rich, congrats! Against all odds it worked out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

jobless wrote: »

Of course it's a pyramid scheme!

But I'm happy to make money on it. As long as there are people stupid enough to pile on for FOMO, I'll keep making a few quid. A fool and his money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- There is a whole forum for cryptocurrency. It's located here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1814
    Not a forum I frequent myself so be sure to read the charter regarding posting before starting a thread.

Charter- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057793212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Moved from AH to Cryptocurrency. See above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

dotsman wrote: »
    jobless wrote: »

But I'm happy to make money on it. As long as there are people stupid enough to pile on for FOMO, I'll keep making a few quid. A fool and his money...

Such a ridiculous statement from someone who's actually divested FIAT into this, I would've thought people would do basic research before parting with their money which would get them past the dumb ass Ponzi and pyramid scheme ****, but here I am proven wrong lol. If you actually think it's a ponzi/pyramid scheme by the way not only are you dumb but you're a scumbag for jumping in trying to make money off of stupid people as you say, same way anyone involved in any pyramid scheme preying on stupid people is a scumbag.

Watch this in its entirety and come back to your post here. It's 40 minutes but very easy watching, you need to actually look at the video too not just play it half assedly in the background. It's a must watch for anyone who actually has an interest in the industry:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

dotsman wrote: »

Do you actually know what a pyramid scheme is?...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Holy fiddlesticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Great mod decision. Thread will be much less cancerous and virtually useless for attracting ignorant shítposters now.
    This could be a playpen for any self-avowed lowlife criminals unwilling to research on red days into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

grindle wrote: »
    Great mod decision. Thread will be much less cancerous and virtually useless for attracting ignorant shítposters now.
    This could be a playpen for any self-avowed lowlife criminals unwilling to research on red days into the future.

What was the mod decision. Have posts been deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Nice gains this morning! HODL

What was the mod decision. Have posts been deleted?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110531253&postcount=434

They moved this from After Hours to here. It benefits crypto discussion beacuse most are viewing it with a dim "heard about it on the radio" mindset but is objectively negative because even the mentally deficient should be allowed to voice their consistently invalidated viewpoints. Depends on how you feel about repetitive thread-spam and lengthy rebuttals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

grindle wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110531253&postcount=434

They moved this from After Hours to here. It benefits crypto discussion beacuse most are viewing it with a dim "heard about it on the radio" mindset but is objectively negative because even the mentally deficient should be allowed to voice their consistently invalidated viewpoints. Depends on how you feel about repetitive thread-spam and lengthy rebuttals.

Thanks, I hadn't a clue what was going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A complete scam of course, and it just goes to shows what happens when large amounts of people who don't understand economics, the creation of wealth, and the systems behind it, attempt to 'get rich quick'.

That said, not everyone lost money. Over 90% of people did. I made some money off Bitcoin completely by chance. A number of us here at the bank in Frankfurt bought some of them a number of years back. We had intended to give them to one of C-Suite in the bank as a joke present - the 'future of money'. We didn't however, as he died of a massive heart attack before we had the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, we forgot about them, until last December, where we saw that each coin was valued at over 10k dollars a pop. We cashed them all in at 14700k a pop, which wasn't the height of the bubble, but no point getting greedy with this sort of thing, and ending up being a bag-holder/owner of worthless digital 'beany babies'.

I paid the required tax on the profits, and was able to purchase a small holiday home in West Cork with the proceeds. I also had enough left over to purchase a golf course membership down there, as well as a Paul Henry painting for the kitchen. So all-in-all, a pleasant experience.

Don't even bother reading about it these days. There's this idea that those of us who work in traditional banking are terrified of bitcoin. We aren't. It's silly libertarians playing silly games with silly virtual money.

Good man Aongus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Any ideas on what's causing the upswing?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Any ideas on what's causing the upswing?

The purest of hopium. General uptrend in the cycle, big money looking at the last cycle in regards to a BTC halvening and getting in ahead at lower prices in comparison to where they think it could be - nobody really knows but those are the most likely.

I was kind of sceptical wrt timeframe that we'd follow the exact same 4y cycle again, I thought it may take another year or two. Looks like it'll happen faster unless we have another year long bear market (also plausible).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Tether printing 2 billion fake dollars caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Arrival wrote: »
    Such a ridiculous statement from someone who's actually divested FIAT into this, I would've thought people would do basic research before parting with their money which would get them past the dumb ass Ponzi and pyramid scheme ****, but here I am proven wrong lol. If you actually think it's a ponzi/pyramid scheme by the way not only are you dumb but you're a scumbag for jumping in trying to make money off of stupid people as you say, same way anyone involved in any pyramid scheme preying on stupid people is a scumbag.

Watch this in its entirety and come back to your post here. It's 40 minutes but very easy watching, you need to actually look at the video too not just play it half assedly in the background. It's a must watch for anyone who actually has an interest in the industry:

When one invests in shares, they are buying something that has an underlying value (a little piece of a company that owns assets) that is generating wealth (profits). Yes, there is a small element of speculation regarding price, but it is investing in something tangible.

Similarly, when investing in property, they are buying something that has an underlying value (land/building) that is generating wealth (rent). Yes, there is a small element of speculation regarding price, but it is investing in something tangible.

Hell, even if you trade in Gold/commodities, there is an underlying asset with value.

Bitcoin et al are currencies. And very bad ones at that. The main points that people use when expressing their love for crypto are also the reason why it can never work. A currency needs government backing -until it is legal tender, it is merely a sideshow. It needs strict regulation - right now, the land of cryptos is the financial wild west. It needs central bank interference - as long as it is fluctuating wildly, it is useless as a currency.

Ultimately, cryptos have no underlying value. The price they are been traded at reflects 100% speculation and nothing more. And, while not strictly a pyramid scheme in the traditional sense, that's the closest common term that people understand (it is more a series of pyramids). And if you can't see that, then you need to cash out immediately and stay away.

P.S. Calling people names because they know what they are doing is a little silly. "Bigging up" something that you are invested in, however, is a very scumbag thing to do and, in regulated environments, is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Tether printing 2 billion fake dollars caused it.

Correct and right Flashy... As they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Thankfully my model predicted this allowing me to buy a few coins at 3900. Close to cashing out soon. A tidy profit made.

attachment.php?attachmentid=483636&d=1561545398

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Give it a rest lads yous are just coming off as pathetic, get a life and stop trying to put people down, that's all you try to do, one up people thinking you know everything. Sham.

And paddy your model, don't make me laugh that's the funniest **** I've heard in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

rapul wrote: »
    Give it a rest lads yous are just coming off as pathetic, get a life and stop trying to put people down, that's all you try to do, one up people thinking you know everything. Sham.

And paddy your model, don't make me laugh that's the funniest **** I've heard in a while!

Cool the jets rapul. People having a civilised debate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I'm calm as can be, expressing my opinion on a public forum isn't a crime

And to be fair nothing civilised about how you and your chum talk to people and have done for quite some time now, as I said forever trying to one up people, pathetic

Advertisement