Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The swirling toilet stage 2 ambulance drivers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

worded wrote: »
    They must get to see sone horrific stuff. A local one lost his mind and did away. One on the radio has depression, tough job
    Yes, suicide is high among EMS professionals. A 2016 study in the US showed that suicide accounted for 5.2% of deaths of EMS workers compared to 2.2% of the general population. In Australia it was reported the suicide rate was up to 20 times higher than general population, and that about 25% of EMS worked suffer from PTSD.
    Are they drivers only or are they paramedics ?
    They are all registered medical practitioners who are also trained in emergency driving. Malpractice can lead to them being struck off the register.

There are three levels of EMS crew here. EMTs typically crew the Intermediate Care Vehicles whose main role is to transfer patients between health-care facilities. but also respond to some emergency calls. Their training is about a six-week course, and salary is between €25,000 and €32,000.

Paramedics have a two-year qualification period which includes a Diploma in Emergency Medicine which is delivered in-house by both the National Ambulance Service and Dublin Fire Brigade. There is also a four-year Degree course in UL, and I'd say eventually all Paramedics will have Degree-level qualifications, that's the direction the profession is moving internationally.

Paramedics crew the Emergency Ambulances and respond to all 999 calls. Their salary ranges from €26,000 to €36,000.

Advanced Paramedics have a further two-years training and must have at least a year's prior experience as a qualified Paramedic. They work either on Emergency Ambulances alongside another Paramedic, or they drive their own Response Car and respond to serious calls as back-up for Paramedic crews. Their salary is €35,000-€45,000.

Pay hasn't really been a huge issue to EMS staff here, on top of their salary there are various allowances and overtime is common enough. Almost a third of the workforce want to be represented by a union other than SIPTU because they are dissatisfied with representation on working conditions. If they do achieve actual union recognition, then the major issues would be related to working conditions, not pay.

One example is unhappiness with how lunch breaks are handled. Crews are given thirty minutes for a break, however once fifteen minutes are up, dispatch can task them for another call and they are deemed to have received their full break, even though they haven't. They work twelve hour shifts and which can include stressful calls and even when they are on a break they can't relax fully for the entire rest period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes you were a public servant. Of course you and your wife’s pension is way more than my private sector wage.
    My taxes and my children’s taxes will pay your wages. I’m not sure if I should take offense.

Fecal merry go round indeed

I was never a public servant, so you can get off that angry high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One swallow does not a summer make...

You missed the whole point of that, it was even in bold type

then that's who's going to be applying for any further vacancies. ...........

And i reckon we are already at that point ( or getting there )

Or do you need 1000 posts to get a prize or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

I was never a public servant, so you can get off that angry high horse.

Your wages weee from the tax pot and your pension was paid out of the tax pot. You can wrangle definitions all you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Del2005 wrote: »
    And what where we supposed to do when we were broke and paying sky high interest on loans? What other department should have had its budget slashed to fund the money pit of the HSE?

Foreign Aid. Thats almost a billion a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

kneemos wrote: »
    They're paid way more than their UK comrades.

Hopefully this Government will have the balls to finally put some manners on the public servants. Teachers must be the best paid in the world at this stage.

Whats the average cost of rent and cost of living in Manchester, Liverpool, Derby, Birmingham??

Your wages weee from the tax pot and your pension was paid out of the tax pot. You can wrangle definitions all you want.

You were bragging how your pension is more than my wages yesterday.

Fecal merry go round.

You are deluded. My pension is a private pension that I paid for and manged myself. Children's allowance, back in the days when it was a tiny amount, is the only payment this family ever got from the tax pot. I don't even collect the state pension I'm entitled to. And yes my pension, judging by tax paid, is higher than your wages but it is in no way related to payments from state funds; as my salary through the years was not either. There's no wrangling of definitions involved.

You are deluded. My pension is a private pension that I paid for and manged myself. Children's allowance, back in the days when it was a tiny amount, is the only payment this family ever got from the tax pot. I don't even collect the state pension I'm entitled to. And yes my pension, judging by tax paid, is higher than your wages but it is in no way related to payments from state funds; as my salary through the years was not either. There's no wrangling of definitions involved.

You worked for the government in some form or other whether it was a teacher or welfare office person. I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You worked for the government in some form or other whether it was a teacher or welfare office person. I remember.

Did some teacher refuse to let you go to the toilet in class, forcing you to crap yourself?

You're obsessed with public servants and toilets and it can't be healthy for you.

Not me. I did private contract work for many organisations, both private and public, in many countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Pure begrudgery, simple as.

You don't like people who earn more than you, and you like them even less if they're state paid.

You don't like people who earn more than you, and you like them even less if they're state paid.

No some people deserve to be rich. Doctors, surgeons, business men, great artists, but when there is a limited amount of money in the public coffers people shouldn’t get rich just for turning up everyday and not giving anybody a reason to sack them in a world where it’d have to be a very serious reason.
    For the people sucking on the public teet to see this as nothing but begrudge shows their total loss of reality where they think they should be rich because they passed an exam at 20 years of age in a time where anybody can do that. If the toilets in the hospital broke and a plumber came in and fixed them should he be rich for it? The whole place would shut down without running water. What if a fuse blew, should the sparks be rich. Where does it stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,147 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No some people deserve to be rich. Doctors, surgeons, business men, great artists, but when there is a limited amount of money in the public coffers people shouldn’t get rich just for turning up everyday and not giving anybody a reason to sack them in a world where it’d have to be a very serious reason.
    For the people sucking on the public teet to see this as nothing but begrudge shows their total loss of reality where they think they should be rich because they passed an exam at 20 years of age in a time where anybody can do that. If the toilets in the hospital broke and a plumber came in and fixed them should he be rich for it? The whole place would shut down without running water. What if a fuse blew, should the sparks be rich. Where does it stop.

None of that explains your obsession with Srameen. If you think doctors deserve to be rich then why do you have an issue with Srameen?

I know a couple of plumbers and sparks who are earning excellent wages and build up extremely successful businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I know a couple of plumbers and sparks who are earning excellent wages and build up extremely successful businesses.

Course. I come from a family of electricians and each are doing very well.
    I know a few plumbers that left the trade, but it wasn't for lack of money. More they didn't like the working conditions

Few people are getting rich in the public service. 50k isn't a fantastical wage. I'd say it's probably near the average for most professionals with 5 or 6 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I would say it's actually a direct result of now FF leader Michael Martin's creation of the HSE.

Do you not remember what was in place before the HSE ??
    We had ten seperate Health Boards all run seperately leading to a totally disjointed service and became a quango for family based 'jobs for the boys'.
    In principle the HSE was a far better layout but unfortunately inherited a lot of the problems of clerical overstaffing from the old Health Boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you not remember what was in place before the HSE ??
    We had ten seperate Health Boards all run seperately leading to a totally disjointed service and became a quango for family based 'jobs for the boys'.
    In principle the HSE was a far better layout but unfortunately inherited a lot of the problems of clerical overstaffing from the old Health Boards.

The major issue with the HSE is that even though they had identified what jobs were needed, rather than hand out redundancies and make people apply for the new positions, they just gave everyone who had a job, a job, which led to overstaffing, and instead of allowing these jobs to filter out over time, they then kept refilling them. Lunacy. Admin staff in the HSE are crippling the system.
    Too late now but a simple and cost neutral policy, considering the ludicrous wages of admins in the PS would have been to increase frontline staff every time an admin or similar retired. Knowing people who have wokred on both sides of the line in St. Vincents, it is borderline criminal what goes on with the inherited admins.
    Its no different in other PS jobs, admins in 3rd level institutions getting salaries 3 or 4 fold what their private sector equivalents were getting. Technical, academic and support staff are actually not far off being reasonable but the unions are strongly supported by the Admins, and there in lies the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

How do you define rich?

How do you define rich?

I suspect it's all relative and, in his case, anybody earning more than he is.

How do you define rich?

Living in a place unattainable by the general population. You can’t just make the hundreds of thousands of busmen Lias drivers Garda and nurses rich. They would just buy up the whole of Dublin and become slum landlords. House prices would sky rocket.
    It’s a delicate eco system that is at breaking point.

Go to your bathroom and have a dump in your toilet. Then flush it. Wait until right before the noise stops.
    The poop signifies society as we know it. The eco system. The public service.
    The water is the trough, the pig feeder the tax pile.
    The poop will go down the Swaney with the water. Trying to grab as much of it as it can.
    That moment right before the noise stops. That’s where we are.
    A huge spinning toilet.
    One last fecal merry go round before we are in the septic tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

How do you define rich?

Living in a place unattainable by the general population. You can’t just make the hundreds of thousands of busmen Lias drivers Garda and nurses rich. They would just buy up the whole of Dublin and become slum landlords. House prices would sky rocket.
    It’s a delicate eco system that is at breaking point.

Go to your bathroom and have a dump in your toilet. Then flush it. Wait until right before the noise stops.
    The poop signifies society as we know it. The eco system. The public service.
    The water is the trough, the pig feeder the tax pile.
    The poop will go down the Swaney with the water. Trying to grab as much of it as it can.
    That moment right before the noise stops. That’s where we are.
    A huge spinning toilet.
    One last fecal merry go round before we are in the septic tank.
    Ah, that explains it.

Your mad as a badger.

Ah, that explains it.

Your mad as a badger.

What does my mad as a badger have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What does my mad as a badger have to do with anything?

Who knows, but I'm sure you'll come up with some toilet and fecal based analogy.

Copromania. You should go to a doctor and get diagnosed

Who knows, but I'm sure you'll come up with some toilet and fecal based analogy.

I just googled that, your head is in the toilet pal.

It's all scatology.

It's all scatology.

Skeebap ba badabo

Skebap ba bada do
    That doesn't rhyme with toilet, or bullsh1t.

I can unblock it though

Make it clean like a nuns tit.

You wanna battle me, in your mothers seomra suite, counting thanks cause daddy wasn’t there to hit ye.
    Uh what

Advertisement