Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan given police warning for "transphobia"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Very Frankensteinesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A person could be called far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

He's one of those "be tolerant and liberal and open-minded or I'll punch you" types and then does a u-turn re trans folk (in accordance with the TERF - trans exclusionary radical feminist - agenda; he is weirdly radical feminist and refers to trans men as self loathing - le irony). Personally I think he seems like a prick on both counts.

It's mad that the police are entertaining this stuff though. It should be a Twitter matter imo, not a police matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they're eating each other.

Will he be sent to the gulag or get away with some light electroshock therapy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The world has gone to sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The reason he gave the former names was to expose this persons past where they were claiming to be a lawyer and defrauding people. Also, the person had previously been harrassing linehan and had threatened to publish the address of his wifes business online. What did she hope would happen with that information being made public amonst the TRA extremists?

It's ridiculous that the police are getting involved in Twitter spats. What a waste of time and funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,455 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Seems a bit ridiculous?

There are a few things are ridiculous about it - the first of which is that someone would feel the need to harass another person on social media, the second is that someone would have to make a complaint to the authorities against someone for harassment in order for them to be told to stop. The third thing is of course that an adult has to be told to stop harassing people on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Good enough for him, the prick. Maybe he'll be more careful now, turn himself off and on again, etc.

That said, his accuser seems like a massive cry-bully. There was a pair of them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Plebtards

• Advertisement

I wonder how many police hours this person has wasted. She sounds like the bully tbh, not linehan.
    The creator of Father Ted is embroiled in a row with a transgender activist, who allegedly published online several addresses linked to his family in an attempt to “shut him up”.

Graham Linehan, the Bafta award-winning comedy writer, said he would not stop voicing his concerns in the debate over transgender rights, after personal details and addresses linked to his wife’s company were tweeted by Stephanie Hayden, an activist with a history of threatening Twitter users with legal action, and reporting them to police if they disagree with her views on gender. Publishing such details online is known as doxxing.

This week she reported Mr Linehan to Norfolk constabulary for “transphobic harassment”, after he shared a post with his 672,000 followers that included details of Ms Hayden’s various aliases, examples of her conduct online and financial history. The scriptwriter said he shared the details because he believed Ms Hayden to be “a dangerous troll. I believe it’s important to shine a light on people like that because they are harming women and transwomen”.

Ms Hayden, 45, an activist from Leeds previously known as Tony Halliday and Steven Hayden, claims to be a lawyer but is not recognised by any professional legal body.

She has previously accused Sussex University of being a “temple of transgender hate” and supported the campaign to oust female academics if they challenged transgender orthodoxy. She was also among the activists who pressurised a billboard company this week to remove a poster in Liverpool, which said the dictionary definition of “woman” was an “adult human female” because it was offensive.

When a transsexual solicitor challenged Ms Hayden, who graduated with a law degree from Birkbeck, University of London, to prove her professional credentials, she made allegations of hate crime to West Yorkshire Police.

Mr Linehan, 50, claimed Ms Hayden posted details of his wife’s company, and published them online, in retaliation for sharing details of her background.

“Hayden was trying to shut me up by attacking my wife,” he said. “The only thing the extremists will accept in this conversation is complete capitulation but I won’t stop talking about this.

“There’s this unquestioning reverence for anyone who says they are transgender, but this unquestioning loyalty is really dangerous. Once people start silencing views, they start thinking they can get away with anything. This time, Stephanie has overreached.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/father-ted-writer-graham-linehan-says-the-trans-activist-stephanie-hayden-is-dangerous-troll-6pwrg9p68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's mad that the police are entertaining this stuff though. It should be a Twitter matter imo, not a police matter.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that the police are getting involved in Twitter spats. What a waste of time and funds.

I was reading that earlier and those were more or less my thoughts. Sounds like there's a dick and a twat involved there but I didn't think either of those used to be police business.

I'm sure the cops were delighted to be dealing with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Can people really be held responsible for their phobias ? An irrational fear or aversion ?

I wonder how many police hours this person has wasted. She sounds like the bully tbh, not linehan.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/father-ted-writer-graham-linehan-says-the-trans-activist-stephanie-hayden-is-dangerous-troll-6pwrg9p68

Can't read the whole article but this line stood out from the bit I can read
    were tweeted by Stephanie Hayden, an activist with a history of threatening Twitter users with legal action, and reporting them to police if they disagree with her views on gender.

as the kids say these days : I can't even

wexie wrote: »
    I was reading that earlier and those were more or less my thoughts. Sounds like there's a dick and a twat involved there but I didn't think either of those used to be police business.

Tbh the police in the UK seem only too delighted to get involved with these issues. Try getting them to attend the scene of a burglary or a domestic assault though and you might be waiting a while.

Can't read the whole article but this line stood out from the bit I can read

as the kids say these days : I can't even

The article was written by a journalist who openly shares Linehan's agenda on transgender people. As it's supposed to be a news article in the 'paper of record' and not an opinion column or an uncritical interview (which it essentially is), I'm surprised that line got past the sub editors.

If someone reports harassment (or perceived harassment) to the police, they have to act on it. In this case, it seems like they acted proportionately and don't appear to have wasted too much time. I'm sure they didn't arrive around at Linehan's house with flashing lights and carry out a dawn raid, fling him in the back of a van and drag him down to the nick. Whether it was tit-for-tat or not, what he did was wrong, and the police just told him not to do it again (and if he does, both he and his accuser are wasting their time). It's more embarrassing for him than anything - I mean, he's a grown man. Imagine the Gardai calling to your door because of something you said to someone on here.

Imagine the Gardai calling to your door because of something you said to someone on here.
    Unless someone threatened me on here there is no way in hell the Gardai should be knocking on anyone's door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hehehehehe

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Linehan is very talented but doesn’t come across as the nicest chap. Then again, neither does this woman he’s spatting with. There’s a pair of them in it.

Unless someone threatened me on here there is no way in hell the Gardai should be knocking on anyone's door.

Even then, I probably wouldn't be arsed reporting them. But it's easy for me, a cis man who's never been threatened before, to say that. If I was a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing, I might feel differently.

• Advertisement

Linehan is very talented but doesn’t come across as the nicest chap. Then again, neither does this woman he’s spatting with. There’s a pair of them in it.

No he certainly doesn't.

Having said that I don't think any of this should have attracted more than an email from Twitter support saying : cop yourselves on or you're both getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tbh the police in the UK seem only too delighted to get involved with these issues. Try getting them to attend the scene of a burglary or a domestic assault though and you might be waiting a while.

It's a valid point for sure,possibly explained by the various "modernization" crusades in the various constabularies.

Most of them now have substantial "Fast-Track" career paths reserved for Graduates,which results in the far lower age-profile we see in UK Police TV interviews.

Some UK Superintendent rank, and above often look like Freshers,in comparison to the more....er...emm..."Mature" looking Garda officers sent before the same cameras.

It's not all viewed positively by the rank & file plod however,with a constant refrain of "disconnection" between the Uni Graduate and the College of Hard Knocks officers.

Being a Police Officer in the U.K. is not at all comparable with being a "Member" of An Garda Siochana...as they are two very different motivational bodies. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Even then, I probably wouldn't be arsed reporting them. But it's easy for me, a cis man who's never been threatened before, to say that. If I was a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing, I might feel differently.

particularly if your raison d'etre was the stirring of sheit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

didn't he doxx someone else on twitter a few months back as someone merely disagreed with something and Linehan then took shot at his parents and other things (I think the fellas disability)....Linehan is known to be a prized prat, but the looper who complained isn't much better...how many names does he/she need

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I doubt anything will come of the police complaint.

Still, the "debate" that he's been having on twitter is somewhat interesting. I've often found him to be insufferable sometimes but not quite enough to unfollow. He comes across as an asshole a lot.

In the past few months, he has been calling out what he sees as absurdities from some trans activists. He's an open and unashamed feminist and he has been pointing out the problems of treating men in wigs as women under the law. Some cases that he highlighted include a business man who dresses like a woman sometimes winning some woman of the year award from some magazine, anatomically male rapists raping women in female prisons and anatomically male people in women's domestic abuse shelters. He's viewing this from a feminist perspective so he's not keen on men encroaching on women's spaces, particularly when it puts women at risk.

The other side in the "debate" is hard to pin down. Maybe I don't get it but it seems to be suggesting that if you feel like you're a woman, then that should be enough to be treated as a woman under the law and organizational policy. I could be wrong here and could well be mischaracterising it so maybe someone else could explain it better.

Anyway, as with most "debates" that he gets involved in, it's quite toxic.

he lost a ball earlier in the year

that's very careless of him

Worst one-balled person ever. You wouldn't find other one-balled people playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning.

Worst one-balled person ever. You wouldn't find other one-balled people playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning.

Does he do the high notes?

(I'm sorry that was terrible :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Which one

Advertisement