Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Months Mind

• 28-02-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

All, I'm writing a novel on set in rural Ireland set in the 1940's. A key part of the story happens at Months Mind. My question is, Did the Months Mind always take place in a Chapel in the form of a mass, or could it take place in the home of the deceased? Also, was it always a mass or could it take the form of a priest holding a short ceremony in the home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The month's mind Mass AFAIK took place in the local church. It certainly did in the '60's and '70's. However, there were annual 'anniversary masses' that could / did take place in the home if the family had a clerical influence. Are you confusing the mass in the home with the 'station mass' that still persists in some areas? See here . (Not that I agree with all in that link, for examplethere were more priests in Ireland per head of population during the Penal Laws than today and several mass rocks post-date those laws and were a convenience to locals rather than places of subterfuge.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nagantino

Pedro,
    Thank you for that, so informative. Over the years, I've been to many Months Mind masses and little gatherings in family houses that correspond with Stations. I want the confrontation that occurs in my story to happen at the Months Mind, but, as I'm writing it, I can manipulate the story to suit. The story is set in rural Armagh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The Month's Mind is a strong and well observed tradition in the West of Ireland.
    The family often have a note in the local paper ( or more recently on local radio ) thanking those who assisted at the time of the bereavement and giving details of the MM mass. It gives an opportunity to those who were unable to make the funeral to sympathise. There may be some light refreshments in local hotel or family house.

In some families legal business such as giving out copies of the will be postponed until the MM. Emotions tend to be raw just after a funeral, so MM is a more suitable time.

In most families there is an anniversary mass each year. As years pass the mass may be for all deceased members of a family.

Advertisement