15-02-2021, 20:41   #16
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Havoc View Post
I was thinking of showmaster, sorry.
Thanks anyway for that. That's another one to add to the vocabulary.

How wonderfully German.
Advertisement
15-02-2021, 20:41   #17
magicbastarder

what is it used for (i work for germans and have never heard it used)?
15-02-2021, 20:44   #18
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroamado View Post
Why are you afraid of change? i certainly am not.
I have noticed huge language changes and i think most have come through education.
I think the changes i am referring to have come mostly through the good influence Americian Companies here.
We speak English whether correct or not i do not care, i did not ever hear the two words i mention on British but i may have be wrong...
Are you sure English is your first language?
Thanks from:
15-02-2021, 20:48   #19
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
what is it used for (i work for germans and have never heard it used)?
Compere/emcee/MC
Thanks from:
15-02-2021, 20:51   #20
magicbastarder

once phrase i hear germans using a lot, which may be a direct translation from german, is 'deep dive'; for a session where they examine a topic fully.

i hear/see 'prepone' being used very occasionally by indian colleagues; but i mean i'd hear it maybe once or twice a year.
Advertisement
15-02-2021, 21:04   #21
Del.Monte

The media have a lot to answer for in relation to mucking up our language importing as they do all the latest buzz words from the US as they try to sound cool. Noostalk and Today FM in particular should be put on trial for crimes against the language.
15-02-2021, 21:47   #22
Insect Overlord

Quote:
We speak English whether correct or not i do not care, i did not ever hear the two words i mention on British but i may have be wrong...
In that case, I suggest you put forward some more appropriate examples of unwelcome imports. Your rugby suggestion doesn't make much sense. Would you insist on saying fly-half or out-half? What happens in a play when the ball isn't first passed to the number 10? The player who gets the ball in the those situations, when it comes to analysis, can only be described as the first receiver. It's a literal term, and I can't see how it could be better described.
15-02-2021, 23:32   #23
maestroamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
In that case, I suggest you put forward some more appropriate examples of unwelcome imports. Your rugby suggestion doesn't make much sense. Would you insist on saying fly-half or out-half? What happens in a play when the ball isn't first passed to the number 10? The player who gets the ball in the those situations, when it comes to analysis, can only be described as the first receiver. It's a literal term, and I can't see how it could be better described.
For me first receiver is an Americian term as is rookie, i lived there for a time. I think before these terms were introducer commentators used the actual players names, i do not watch analysis.
15-02-2021, 23:33   #24
maestroamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Are you sure English is your first language?
Have another glass of moonshine...
Advertisement
16-02-2021, 12:38   #25
dubhthach

Quote:
I have noticed in recent years that our language has become very Americian so i just thought i would bring it here as i prefer if we kept abit of our traditional identity.
I will give the few new recent examples i heard on tele recently i can think of off-hand, others may add more, two recent ones made me cringe, yesterday the rugby match i heard "first receiver" and a few weeks ago i heard on All Ireland final day "rookie" I think i am a person of the world but i do not want to feel like i am at a "ball game" I think tv and movie pretty well established.
Whats the view here?
I blame Dallas tbh
Thanks from:
16-02-2021, 18:40   #26
maestroamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
The media have a lot to answer for in relation to mucking up our language importing as they do all the latest buzz words from the US as they try to sound cool. Noostalk and Today FM in particular should be put on trial for crimes against the language.
That's interesting, i have sister who lives pretty close to SF.
A few years ago she was here and she was surprised to hear a word here she had just heard a few Months earlier in US. I cannot rembember word...
17-02-2021, 11:59   #27
Donalde

We need to ramp up these new words and roll them out!
I wonder if another virus, or variant of the existing, might cause some disruption in the Global Village? Or is is it all done by TV?
17-02-2021, 15:41   #28
maestroamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalde View Post
We need to ramp up these new words and roll them out!
I wonder if another virus, or variant of the existing, might cause some disruption in the Global Village? Or is is it all done by TV?
There was talk sone years ago about us coming an Americian colony (51st state)
You may be right Donald could run here Aras Dunbeg, its a lovely spot...
17-02-2021, 15:54   #29
notabogsnotion
Banned

The English have never heard of the word 'delph'.

Irish use 'press' instead of cupboard.

Loads of **** different.

Language evolves.

Language can be very representative of a culture e.g. Dia is Mhuire duit to say hello. Clearly religious.

I bought an Oxford dictionary which also included the etymology of the words.
17-02-2021, 19:02   #30
riffmongous

Quote:
For me first receiver is an Americian term as is rookie, i lived there for a time. I think before these terms were introducer commentators used the actual players names, i do not watch analysis.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of 'wide receiver', because first receiver doesn't make much sense in an American Football context, as 99 times out of 100 there is no second receiver. It does in rugby though, in the back line typically the fly half is the first receiver, inside centre is the second and so on.

There is an ongoing thread on the rugby forum talking mentioning Ronan O Gara's analysis and how he uses 'insider' terms that a layperson wouldn't be familiar with it (-1 and -2 defender was the quote) and I wouldn't be surprised if first receiver actually is a rugby term

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion