05-12-2010, 09:59   #16
myonehere

Alderman James J Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousgal View Post
I'm trying to find out what happened to James J. Kelly, who owned the tobacco shop on the corner of Camden St. & Harrington St. (Kelly's Corner). Two pro-British journalists who were on his premises during a raid by soldiers on 25th April 1916 - McIntyre and Dixon - were arrested and executed unlawfully the following day along with Sheehy-Skeffington. Kelly was later arrested (in error) and deported to Wandsworth Jail, London, where he was tortured but released without charge 16 days later. He was an Alderman, Justice of the Peace, and one-time High Sherriff of Dublin. Does anyone know what happened to him after 1916?
Thanks.
I can tell you that James J Kelly was certainly still around in 1923 and giving his address as 35 Upper Camden Street [Although I seem to remember reading somewhere that, by then, he was living at a large house on the outskirts of Dublin.

This is proven from the original logbook of one of the vintage cars I own– James J Kelly was the first owner entry and he gives the tobacco shop address in Upper Camden St.. The owner changed in 1934 [9 years was quite a long time to own a car then] to a Mr Patrick Hession and then to Henry Barlee – both also of Dublin.

We must assume that [Alderman] James Kelly was still reasonably well-off in 1923 to have the wherewithal to be able to purchase a car new – and a Bugatti at that!

I should be most interested to hear of anyone knows any further about any of these gentlemen or, indeed, cars in general in Dublin during 1923!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-12-2010, 23:12   #17
ardobod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_doyle View Post
in "Wexford's Civil War" mention is made of Volunteer George King (an insurance agent) who left his home in Liverpool for Ireland where he took part in the Rising and was interned in Fron Goch. Active during the Tan War under the name Nicholas Murphy. Died in the Meath Hospital 5th Feb 1923 following an attack on a military party guarding the ruined house of the Free State Chief Solicitor, Mr Corrigan, Leinster Rd, Rathmines. King was 26, single and came from Blackwater, Co Wexford stock.

I've not yet been able to find out if this man was English born of Irish parents, or Irish born and emigrated when young.

George King was my grand uncle
He was the youngest of the the King brothers John , Pat , Edward, all born in Liverpool of Irish stock. His older brothers came to Dublin for the 1916 rising and were attached to the Kimmage Garrison . John ,Pat , and Edward all faught in the GPO. John my grandfather was badly wounded by a bullet while evacuating the burning building.
. As far as I am aware George was not in the GPO or Dublin during the rising and arrived in the city later on. During the civil war George was the only brother not to be on the side of the Free State. John King
25-06-2014, 12:52   #18
akiva.mahon

Alderman James Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonehere View Post
I can tell you that James J Kelly was certainly still around in 1923 and giving his address as 35 Upper Camden Street [Although I seem to remember reading somewhere that, by then, he was living at a large house on the outskirts of Dublin.

This is proven from the original logbook of one of the vintage cars I own– James J Kelly was the first owner entry and he gives the tobacco shop address in Upper Camden St.. The owner changed in 1934 [9 years was quite a long time to own a car then] to a Mr Patrick Hession and then to Henry Barlee – both also of Dublin.

We must assume that [Alderman] James Kelly was still reasonably well-off in 1923 to have the wherewithal to be able to purchase a car new – and a Bugatti at that!

I should be most interested to hear of anyone knows any further about any of these gentlemen or, indeed, cars in general in Dublin during 1923!
I'm one of Alderman James Kelly grandchildren, from my mother's side, nee Marie Kelly. As far as we know Mr. Kelly had no children from his first wife. He remarried, don't know exactly when and from his second marriage he had five children. My mother was born in 1925, the eldest of the five. What I understood from my mother, aside from dealing in tobacco he also invested in the stock market. He went bankrupt in 1939. A large majority of his stocks were from the Marconi electronic company and because of the connection with the Mussolini regime their stocks failed. Two of his daughters are still alive, namely Maeve Burket and Patricia Ellison.
Thanks from:
25-06-2014, 12:55   #19
akiva.mahon

Alderman James Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonehere View Post

I'm one of Alderman James Kelly grandchildren, from my mother's side, nee Marie Kelly. As far as we know Mr. Kelly had no children from his first wife. He remarried, don't know exactly when and from his second marriage he had five children. My mother was born in 1925, the eldest of the five. What I understood from my mother, aside from dealing in tobacco he also invested in the stock market. He went bankrupt in 1939. A large majority of his stocks were from the Marconi electronic company and because of the connection with the Mussolini regime their stocks failed. Two of his daughters are still alive, namely Maeve Burket and Patricia Ellison. Mr. Kelly passed away in 1954.
Thanks from:
26-06-2014, 19:56   #20
Santa Cruz
Banned

Can't be of much help but thanks lads for all the references. The English based IRB groups had a significant part to play in the run up to and the actual Rising. I do have some info re the London Centre. Collins, Dunne, Hegarty Sheahan and others left their London jobs in the Spring of 1916 to return to Ireland for what was to be an all Ireland Rising
Advertisement
10-08-2014, 15:13   #21
Curiousgal

James J Kelly of Kelly's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiva.mahon View Post
I'm one of Alderman James Kelly grandchildren, from my mother's side, nee Marie Kelly. As far as we know Mr. Kelly had no children from his first wife. He remarried, don't know exactly when and from his second marriage he had five children. My mother was born in 1925, the eldest of the five. What I understood from my mother, aside from dealing in tobacco he also invested in the stock market. He went bankrupt in 1939. A large majority of his stocks were from the Marconi electronic company and because of the connection with the Mussolini regime their stocks failed. Two of his daughters are still alive, namely Maeve Burket and Patricia Ellison. Mr. Kelly passed away in 1954.
That's great to know Mr. Kelly has living descendants! I put up the original request for information about him as I have a postcard/personal photo signed by him in 1916. I will PM you with some more info I found that you may or may not be aware of. He seems to have been such an interesting character and given how well known 'Kelly's Corner' is in Dublin, I was amazed at how little info is available on him personally on the web.
04-11-2014, 20:48   #22
myonehere

James Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiva.mahon View Post
I'm one of Alderman James Kelly grandchildren, from my mother's side, nee Marie Kelly. As far as we know Mr. Kelly had no children from his first wife. He remarried, don't know exactly when and from his second marriage he had five children. My mother was born in 1925, the eldest of the five. What I understood from my mother, aside from dealing in tobacco he also invested in the stock market. He went bankrupt in 1939. A large majority of his stocks were from the Marconi electronic company and because of the connection with the Mussolini regime their stocks failed. Two of his daughters are still alive, namely Maeve Burket and Patricia Ellison.
How wonderful to read this, after long break from this board. If you would like to know, we have collected some information together about James Kelly. And might you like a copy of my cars logbook?
regards
11-11-2016, 01:43   #23
mimi whelan

Hi I am another descendant of JJ Kelly sister to your previous respondent, I would love to expand on the information you have already if you are still interested.
11-11-2016, 09:18   #24
myonehere

hello Mimi,

.. thankyou for the reply and yes, I am still very interested in any information that you can supply on James J Kelly..
best regards
Paul T
Advertisement
11-11-2016, 09:35   #25

There's this famous article about Alderman Kelly

https://thecricketbatthatdiedforirel...-j-kelly-1916/

Quote:
James J. Kelly, a 45 year old merchant, owned a tobacconist shop on the corner of Camden Street and Harrington Street, also known as ‘Kelly’s Corner’. He was a Dublin Corporation Alderman, a Justice of the Peace and had previously held the office of High Sheriff of Dublin. Kelly was a Nationalist, but not a member of either Sinn Fein or the Irish Volunteers, believing more moderately in self-determination for Ireland. However, on the 26th April 1916, the third day of the Rising, he found himself suddenly linked to the rebels and to the story of Francis Sheehy Skeffington.
I assume you've contacted the archivist in Dublin City Council (the former Dublin Corporation, of which James Kelly was an alderman)?
11-11-2016, 18:37   #26
myonehere

I have sent you an message here - if you would like to Email me I can pass on quite a lot of further information on James Kelly ..

best regards
PT
11-11-2016, 19:04   #27

FWIW - Interesting that he invested in Marconi - Marconi's wife was Irish, one of the whiskey Jamesons.
12-11-2016, 00:49   #28

Marconi was a Fascist. Though his radio invention was politically neutral.
14-11-2016, 04:31   #29
paul71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
FWIW - Interesting that he invested in Marconi - Marconi's wife was Irish, one of the whiskey Jamesons.

???

I thought that was his mother, not wife?
14-11-2016, 04:40   #30
Peregrinus

Both his mother and his first wife were Irish. It was his mother who was descended from the Jameson whiskey family. His first wife was an O'Brien.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion