26-02-2021, 11:18   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
Weren't British tanks famously crap, though?

I gather that by the time of D-Day the British had largely switched to using American Sherman tanks, and even they were not considered to be much good compared with the best German tanks that they faced. Many writers of the period point out that the advantage the Shermans had over Tigers and Panthers was merely that there were more of them. Also, that they were more serviceable and repairable and could be patched up and put back into the fight after suffering minor damage more easily than the Germans which had to be abandoned or destroyed by their own side once they suffered any significant damage.

Just a brief anecdote: my late father was a child in England during the War. He used to visit a convalescent centre with his mother where wounded soldiers were recuperating after hospital treatment. He said he once spoke with a wounded British tank driver (he would have been about 10-11 years old) and asked him "Are those Tiger tanks any good?"
"Too ****ing god, son!" was the reply.

The British used a range of tanks, following D-Day, differently armed Shermans to the US 17pdrs?, Cromwells ( & Centaurs), Churchills, they had a challenger built in low numbers and still used Valentine tanks in Italy, so its likely they were using their Grant tanks there also, but Grants were also used in Europe too, I think its just that Shermans get recognised and maybe photographed a lot?
By the end of the war they had Comets, I think fighting had ceased by the time Centurions had arrived
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 20:31   #272
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
Weren't British tanks famously crap, though?

I gather that by the time of D-Day the British had largely switched to using American Sherman tanks, and even they were not considered to be much good compared with the best German tanks that they faced. Many writers of the period point out that the advantage the Shermans had over Tigers and Panthers was merely that there were more of them. Also, that they were more serviceable and repairable and could be patched up and put back into the fight after suffering minor damage more easily than the Germans which had to be abandoned or destroyed by their own side once they suffered any significant damage.

Just a brief anecdote: my late father was a child in England during the War. He used to visit a convalescent centre with his mother where wounded soldiers were recuperating after hospital treatment. He said he once spoke with a wounded British tank driver (he would have been about 10-11 years old) and asked him "Are those Tiger tanks any good?"
"Too ****ing god, son!" was the reply.
the M4 Sherman was known as the "Ronson Tank" by the British, because it lit first time and "Tommy Cookers" by the Germans for pretty much the same reason.
28-02-2021, 19:11   #273
Fritzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
the M4 Sherman was known as the "Ronson Tank" by the British, because it lit first time and "Tommy Cookers" by the Germans for pretty much the same reason.
This particular statement should be in the thread below:

Commonly believed historical inaccuracies

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058146697
Thanks from:
01-03-2021, 14:23   #274
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzbox View Post
This particular statement should be in the thread below:

Commonly believed historical inaccuracies

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058146697
that's a surprise. It is pretty much taken as fact, I wonder where/how it originated.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion