Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why do frozen meals get such a bad rap

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

sdraobs wrote: »
    ill stick iwth the frozen meals. ingredients arent that bad. better than the average person who might think they are too tired to cook

Make sure you wash it down with something healthy, like a glass of Sunny Delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

okay, i stand corrected. i was hoping for some justification or someone to agree. i think i must be wrong. thanks for contributions everyone. f**king chopping and frying pan for me. ....cleaning up*** ahhh:(.

There absolutely is a market for decent pre-made dinners. Not all 'ready meals' are necessarily bad.

And the odd time it's not an issue. But all the time and you're eating stuff that's not good quality, nutritionally.

Anyway, batch cooking makes life a lot easier, as someone above mentioned. I do it on the weekend. You can make it as handy as you like and a slow cooker would be your friend so you can lob it all in and head off and come back to a weeks worth of dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

based on Dial Hard, ill stick iwth the frozen meals. ingredients arent that bad. better than the average person who might think they are too tired to cook so order in a pizza/mcdonalds/ or krispy kreme

Just to clarify, I wasn't advising you to eat frozen meals! You seem to be differentiating between ready meals and frozen meals but a frozen ready meal is still a ready meal.

What I was saying is that you need to be hyper-aware of nutritional values and portion sizes instead of just fixating on ingredients lists and going "Oh well these all sound ok".

Really, my advice was to cook from scratch and freeze at home. Clearly you don't enjoy cooking, so batch cooking is your friend. As is a slow cooker.

Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

thanks, that sounds like a good idea. i appreciate your input and suggestion.

You're welcome mate, get the food right and you are laughing.

Monday night was my movie night, big plate of pasta, headphones on and watch films like Bladerunner and Alien.

Great days.

PS - if you need a drink to match your perfect pizza or fresh pasta, a shiraz wine from Australia is my choice. Lindemans preferably, never Jacob's Creek.

Ok, shouldn't do this here, but film list:

1. Alien
    2. Aliens
    3. Bladerunner
    4. No Country for old men
    5. There Will Be Blood
    6. Sunshine
    7. Star Wars
    8. Cold Mountain
    9. Vanishing Point
    10. An inconvenient Truth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cooking for one is boring and pointless. You're cooking for 20 mins and it's eaten in 10.
    Batch cook recipes for 4 or 5 people, and freeze the rest. If you did that every night for a week, you'd get the guts of the rest of the month eating out of the freezer.

Even with a family of four, I tend to up recipe's so they'll do 7 or 8 portions. Time is the same, and then we've a freezer tray full of options for lunches or evenings when time is tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What you posted in the OP:

INGREDIENTS: Cooked Spaghetti(Water, Durum Wheat Semolina), Tomato Pur(Water, Tomato Pur, Beef (13%), Tomato, Onion, Water, Cornflour, Red Wine(Red Wine, Preservative (Sulphur Dioxide)), Garlic Pur Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Chicory Fibre, Yeast Extract, Basil, Thyme, Flavouring, Oregano, Black Pepper, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Onion Powder, Beef Extract, Tomato Powder, Sunflower Oil.

They don't rely on being frozen to preserve them. They add sulphur dioxide (E220).
    I doubt that, they are using red wine, and it has the ingredients of that red wine listed, that is why they use brackets. The second ingredient in the red wine is sulphur dioxide which is very common.

Since the ingredient is listed as part of another ingredient you cannot tell how much there is. i.e. ingredients are listed in order of greatest, but if it is within brackets this does away with that.

The first wine I checked on tesco has sulphur dioxide listed
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253228741

Allergy Information
    Contains Sulphites
    Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites

You would probably struggle to find an "ingredient priced wine" which doesn't. If you look at frozen fish fillets there is usually nothing added at all, and fish does have a reputation of being short shelf life.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266264084

It reminds me of people going on about McDonalds, going OMG did you see the list of 100 ingredients that goe into a single burger!!! make it at home instead, at least you know what is going into it. Then they go get mince, a typical burger bun
    Ingredients
    Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Yeast, Sugar, Rapeseed Oil, Sesame Seed (1.7%), Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dextrose, Emulsifiers (Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate, Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Di-Acetyltartaric Esters of Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids), Soya Flour, Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Palm Oil, Flour Treatment Agents (L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid).
    bit of heinz ketchup
    Ingredients
    Tomatoes (148g per 100g Tomato Ketchup), Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice and Herb Extracts (contain Celery), Spice
    american mustard
    Ingredients
    Water, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Mustard Flour (11%), Sugar, Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid), Mustard Bran (3%), Salt, Turmeric Powder, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Garlic Powder, Colour (Curcumin), Flavouring.
    a slice of gherkin
    Ingredients
    Gherkins, Water, Sugar, Salt, Acidity Regulator: Acetic Acid, Distilled Barley Malt Vinegar (1.3%), Firming Agent: Calcium Chloride, Natural Spice Flavouring, Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide
    And quickly it tots up to about the same.

Advertisement