Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What I eat daily on a healthy eating plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

painfully slow if I'm being honest
    Perfectly sustainable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cake Man wrote: »
    Perfectly sustainable though.

yeah, i've done the whole rollercoaster thing, I had 2 weddings to attend in june and wanted to be able to buy a new suit off the rail, which i did, that was my main motivator. I'm delighted to say that I haven't gone backwards, just have to take it 30 days at a time - as in I did a month of proper eating before introducing exercise, then a month of getting to bed early to try and maximise rest (this one is still a work in progress though, some weeks are better than others).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Really loving this thread!

Breakfast 8am - 2 poached eggs on whoelgrain bread, cup of green tea and glass of water

Mid-morning snack 11am - peanut butter on multigrain crackers, cup of green tea

Lunch 1.30pm - bacon & lentil soup ( lots of veg in this )

Dinner 6pm - stir fry with noodles, beef and lots of veg

Snacks - handful of almonds, handful of rasberries, apple & orange

This is just for today I tend to mix it up a lot every day so I don't get bored :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drlamp

Breakfast was porridge with cinnamon, honey, peanut butter and almond milk.
    Lunch was corn cakes with hummus and 1/2 punnet of strawberries.
    Snacks were banana, apple and a teaspoon of peanut butter with a medjool date.
    Dinner is going to be vegetarian massaman curry (happy pear recipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

After cheating with WW ready meals and cans of tuna for lunch and dinner all week, finally got the saucepans out again. Made chicken korma with spinach and brown rice. So damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Short bulk phase at the moment.

Today
    Breakfast:
    2 wheat bixies with a scoop of choc orange protein powder, 100ml low fat milk and water.
    Big coffee.

Lunch: Low gi cob (mini one from lidl, don't follow low gi - just tastes good), medium chicken breast (boiled with seasoning), 2 slices lean ham, 1 slice of pepper cheese, 2 boiled egg whites and a banana.

Afternoon snack: Protein muffin.

Post w/o dinner:
    3 quarter pounder burgers (lean steak mince), 2 potatoes as wedges, mushy peas.

Fruit bowl- grapes/ strawberries.

Supper: Protein shake with 1 scoop creatine. Protein bar.

Also have several coffees during the day - prob not the healthy bit.

Following the above I can allow myself a couple of beers on a Friday/Saturday.

The last few days for lunch I was having a salad of mixed lettuce, prawns, smoked salmon and lighter-than-light mayonnaise. Had to admit, didn't like the smoked salmon. It was okay, but it was putting me off the lunch.

So last night I bought two small salmon darnes (one for today's lunch, one for Friday), cooked them in the airfryer and swapped them in for the smoked salmon. Completely changed the lunch. Delicious now, and will definitely be having more of it in the future.

It's an important thing about dieting (or just eating healthier), you should always still enjoy what you're eating. I went with the smoked salmon and prawn salad because it was healthy (and I thought I might like it), but even though it was okay, it was putting me off having it in the future. Now with cooked salmon instead, I do want to eat it, and will now be looking forward to having it again.

Made meatloaf for the first time, one of the BBC GoodFood recipes. Really enjoyed it. First time making it so I think a bit of fine-tuning in my cooking for it might be required and could improve it.

But really looking forward to tonight's dinner; prawn korma. One of my favourite meals since I started the diet, and will be having it for the next few nights (cooked each night rather than making it all tonight and reheating tomorrow and Wednesday which I'd usually do if it was chicken korma or something).

Good day today. I made a big batch of seafood chowder for the week. Need to thicken up the sauce when I reheat the other portions, but other than that, it was delicious. Plus, tried hummus for the first time and actually really enjoyed it with some carrot sticks. Got a trio of flavoured hummuses (hummii?). Shall be a semi-regular snack from now on I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Penn wrote: »
    Good day today. I made a big batch of seafood chowder for the week. Need to thicken up the sauce when I reheat the other portions, but other than that, it was delicious. Plus, tried hummus for the first time and actually really enjoyed it with some carrot sticks. Got a trio of flavoured hummuses (hummii?). Shall be a semi-regular snack from now on I think.

Hey, would you please be able to post the actually recipe for the chilli and prawn dishes you mentioned earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Penn wrote: »
    The last few days for lunch I was having a salad of mixed lettuce, prawns, smoked salmon and lighter-than-light mayonnaise. Had to admit, didn't like the smoked salmon. It was okay, but it was putting me off the lunch.

So last night I bought two small salmon darnes (one for today's lunch, one for Friday), cooked them in the airfryer and swapped them in for the smoked salmon. Completely changed the lunch. Delicious now, and will definitely be having more of it in the future.

It's an important thing about dieting (or just eating healthier), you should always still enjoy what you're eating. I went with the smoked salmon and prawn salad because it was healthy (and I thought I might like it), but even though it was okay, it was putting me off having it in the future. Now with cooked salmon instead, I do want to eat it, and will now be looking forward to having it again.

I don't like the texture of raw smoked salmon but it flakes up nicely when cooked. Much more appealing for me.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Hey, would you please be able to post the actually recipe for the chilli and prawn dishes you mentioned earlier?

Sure.

Prawn Korma:
    150g prawns
    2tsp Korma paste
    2tsp ground almonds
    Brown rice (I go with 50g uncooked which gives about 100g cooked)
    150ml water
    Handful of spinach
    Coriander
    Turmeric

Cook the brown rice in a pot with a half teaspoon of turmeric mixed in (makes the rice yellow and gives it a little bit of spice) for 25-30 minutes. Fry the prawns in a little bit of oil, then add the korma paste and the ground almonds. Mix them until the prawns are covered in the paste, then add in the water. Fry in a medium heat stirring occasionally to make sure the korma paste mixes with the water to make the sauce. Once the rice is cooked and strained of water, I normally throw in finely chopped spinach and mix it in with the rice, but that's optional, I just do it to add potassium to my diet. Once the rice and prawns are cooked, plate up and sprinkle with a bit of coriander.

The almonds and water is an alternative to coconut milk, so the korma sauce isn't going to be as creamy, but I don't think it really matters with the prawns. When I've made chicken korma though, I do use light coconut milk instead.

Chilli (this is for 5 portions, as I do it in a batch cook in the slow cooker):
    500g lean beef mince
    500g tomato passata
    100g Frank's Hot Sauce
    Worcester sauce
    225g red kidney beans (drained)
    Cayenne chilli powder
    Chilli flakes
    Paprika
    250g uncooked brown rice (again, 5 portions of 50g)

Brown off the mince in a pan and drain off any fat (depending how lean the mince is). Then just whack in everything to the slow cooker and mix it up (apart from the rice which you cook separately). The mix of sauces and seasonings (I also use garlic, pepper and salt) is what I use, but you can adjust it to your own taste very easily. Cook on low for about 6 hours. This does me for 5 small portions, usually for lunch, but if you're using for dinner you might be more inclined to go with 4 medium portions. You can also add in bits of veg but I tend to go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thank you very much.

Made thai green chicken curry for lunch for the week but instead of making brown rice to go with it, just upped the amount of chicken and added some veg in the curry to bulk it out. Lower carb/calories, more protein/veg and still tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm keeping a close eye on everything I eat at the moment. My goal is to get enough calories (2500 - 3000) but to limit saturated fats and salt. I think there's a lot of people who have high or borderline-high blood pressure and they have no idea how much salt they're taking in. It's in almost everything, even stuff that doesn't need it.

Breakfast is either 4 Weetabix or 100g porridge, with a banana. Low-fat milk; about 300ml on the Weetabix or 50ml on the porridge. Muesli sometimes.

Lunch is a double-fried-egg sandwich on wholemeal bread with a slice of low-fat cheese. This is all the bread I eat most days, because 2 slices contains nearly a gram of salt. If I could eat anything I wanted, I'd probably be eating 4 or 6 slices a day. Alternative lunch is 2 cheesy scrambled eggs & some McCain microwave chips. Chips get a bad rap but they've almost zero fat and zero salt, and they're a convenient way to get some calories in. I'm pretty sure that the low-carb fad of recent years is mostly nonsense. Maybe it makes sense if you're trying to lose weight.

Dinner is about 100g of wholemeal fusilli, with broccoli, carrot, and chicken thigh with no skin. It pains me a little to take the chicken skin off and drop it in the bin. Apart from the chicken, it all cooks in 10 minutes in the one saucepan so it's handy.

In terms of snacks, I'd have a small orange and an apple during the day. A low-fat yoghurt. (The anti-dairy thing is a fad, also, I reckon; low-fat dairy is fine. I try to get 3 or 4 dairy portions a day.) Rice cakes with peanut butter are good also; almost no salt, and you get some calories in, along with healthy fats. Lidl do wholemeal rice cakes, and Aldi to a 'Whole" peanut butter that is a bit better, nutritionally, than other peanut-butters. Jaffa cakes are the least worst option I've found as far as biscuits go.

Once or twice a week: A tin of sardines or mackerel, for a bit of variety and for the healthy fats. A can of Ambrosia creamed rice, cold, if I need to grab something really quickly.

When I follow the above and don't cheat, my salt intake is about 4 to 5 grams a day, and saturated fat is about 20g a day and calories are 2400 to 2800.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm keeping a close eye on everything I eat at the moment. My goal is to get enough calories (2500 - 3000) but to limit saturated fats and salt. I think there's a lot of people who have high or borderline-high blood pressure and they have no idea how much salt they're taking in. It's in almost everything, even stuff that doesn't need it.

You just need to get past the low salt and saturated fat fads now lol. You are right about high blood pressure, it is a silent killer. Its something Ive been looking at and for the princely sum of 50 euros you can pick up a monitor from a pharmacy. I’d say a lot of people have a head in the sand approach to their blood pressure. Do you actually test yours or have a sense what raises it or lowers it?
    It is complicated though but as such avoiding salt isn’t a consideration for me as there is no substantive correlation between salt consumption and cardiac events within reasonable ranges plus as I tend to avoid processed convenience foods there wouldn’t be a lot of sneaky salt in my diet. If you are worried about blood pressure there are multiple factors to look at, obesity , put on 10 KG and your blood pressure will go up by a minimum of 10 points. Other things can be ratios of sodium to potassium , low potassium can raise your blood pressure. Magnesium levels influence blood pressure, then there are all the other factors, sleep, stress, fitness levels probably.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    You just need to get past the low salt and saturated fat fads now lol. You are right about high blood pressure, it is a silent killer. Its something Ive been looking at and for the princely sum of 50 euros you can pick up a monitor from a pharmacy. I’d say a lot of people have a head in the sand approach to their blood pressure. Do you actually test yours or have a sense what raises it or lowers it?
    It is complicated though but as such avoiding salt isn’t a consideration for me as there is no substantive correlation between salt consumption and cardiac events within reasonable ranges plus as I tend to avoid processed convenience foods there wouldn’t be a lot of sneaky salt in my diet. If you are worried about blood pressure there are multiple factors to look at, obesity , put on 10 KG and your blood pressure will go up by a minimum of 10 points. Other things can be ratios of sodium to potassium , low potassium can raise your blood pressure. Magnesium levels influence blood pressure, then there are all the other factors, sleep, stress, fitness levels probably.

Yep, I do have a blood pressure monitor alright (50 quid in Boots, bought years ago). I’ve been told that the ones that go around your upper arm are more reliable than the wrist ones. In my case, my BP is high-ish for a medical reason that I can’t do anything about, so I have to keep an eye on some of the above factors (sleep, salt etc.).

I saw that there was some new research in the last couple of years that high salt intake may not be a problem for people whose blood pressure isn’t already high. That’s interesting about magnesium & phosphate; I’ll probably look into that.

Edit: By the way, I use the Lifesum android app for tracking what I eat. You just have to be careful to double-check the data it holds for each food and correct it if necessary. I paid 40 quid for a year, but I see that it's on special offer this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I did not know that magnesium levels influence blood pressure, is that lack of or too much magnesium

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

goat2 wrote: »
    I did not know that magnesium levels influence blood pressure, is that lack of or too much magnesium

A deficiency or magnesium has been linked to high blood pressure and there are studies that have indicated a certain level of magnesium reduced blood pressure.

But its good to get a decent level of magnesium on board for a host of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Edit: By the way, I use the Lifesum android app for tracking what I eat. You just have to be careful to double-check the data it holds for each food and correct it if necessary. I paid 40 quid for a year, but I see that it's on special offer this week.

How does Lifesum compare to MyFitnessPal?

• Advertisement

How does Lifesum compare to MyFitnessPal?

I don't know - Just checked my phone and it seems I tried MyFitnessPal for nutrition earlier this year, but I've zero memory of it.

Lentil and tomato soup, plenty of lemon and chilli in this one.

IMG-20190108-144544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

silverharp wrote: »

In what way does magnesium effect bp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

goat2 wrote: »
    In what way does magnesium effect bp

There is line of thought that low levels of magnesium and NOT high levels of sodium contribute to high blood pressure

twould be interesting to see how taking 2-3 epsom salts baths weekly or using magnesium oil coupled with using natural pink salt would change you if at all.
    sea swimming will allow your body to absorb plenty of magnesium too.

Never liked the feel of the Mg spray on my skin.
    Does oral supplementation work?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Does oral supplementation work?

Yes, if you get the right one.

Get either magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate. Sometimes you will see glycinate labelled as bis-glycinate or “chelated magnesium”.

Avoid magnesium oxide - it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Damn, I just got Magnesium there the other day from Holland and Barrett, just checked the ingredients and it's Magnesium Oxide.

Is it really that bad? Should I be bringing it back for a refund? Haven't used them yet luckily enough

Moyglish wrote: »
    Damn, I just got Magnesium there the other day from Holland and Barrett, just checked the ingredients and it's Magnesium Oxide.

Is it really that bad? Should I be bringing it back for a refund? Haven't used them yet luckily enough

It's not that it's useless but the bioavailability is typically of the order of 4-5% versus 25-30% for Mg citrate.

It's just a poorer form of supplement. I'd get MG citrate next time; H&B have plenty of that also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's not that it's useless but the bioavailability is typically of the order of 4-5% versus 25-30% for Mg citrate.

It's just a poorer form of supplement. I'd get MG citrate next time; H&B have plenty of that also

I use the chelated magnesium from solgar it's 100mg per tablet and not too big

Advertisement