Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jordy Nelson hanging 'em up.

A Packers HOF'er for sure, at his peak he was one of the best in the league. That double move he had was nasty, there was a couple of years there where he seemed to have an identical 40+ reception each game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's a good idea in theory, but I'll agree on it looking poor in how it is laid out. It's probably the most common penalty to occur on any given play... maybe behind holding. This rule could prove hugely disruptive, and should at least have something similar to a TMO in rugby (basically an on-call video ref) to make it more efficient than going under the hood, if they do insist on implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m hopeful it helps things, as it isn’t like it’ll mean every play being challenged, the coaches still only start off with two challenges. I'm guessing they’ll make it require blatant evidence to change the call/non-call on the field, not just minor contact.

They should do what a lot of coaches want and make everything challengeable/reviewable. This yearly slow expansion after every ref mess up in a big game is tedious and still leaves a team screwed the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

eagle eye wrote:
    I'm not certain about this but I don't remember the rule changing about reviews. It used to be that it could only be reviewed at full speed in video replays by officials.

eagle eye wrote:
    I'm not certain about this but I don't remember the rule changing about reviews. It used to be that it could only be reviewed at full speed in video replays by officials.

I hope you're right, at least that would be something. Poor Gronkowski must be wishing this rule was in place for years with defenders draped over him!

We'll wait and see i suppose, and it's only been voted in for a single year, so we not stuck with it if it ruins things.

The VAR system which I thought I would like has had a detrimental effect on regular football, (for me) as I find myself not celebrating goals as they go in and it kind of ruins the moment a bit. I see this as maybe having a similar effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Robert Quinn to the cowboys reported as agreed
    Late future round draft pick from the cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I hope you're right, at least that would be something. Poor Gronkowski must be wishing this rule was in place for years with defenders draped over him!

We'll wait and see i suppose, and it's only been voted in for a single year, so we not stuck with it if it ruins things.

The VAR system which I thought I would like has had a detrimental effect on regular football, (for me) as I find myself not celebrating goals as they go in and it kind of ruins the moment a bit. I see this as maybe having a similar effect.

Wouldn't matter, he never got the calls. Only OPI calls against him. Some of the carry on defenses got away against him was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1111364282191695874?s=21

To “spend more time on his faith and family” per a statement.

Hmmmmm......

I wonder what story is about to break very soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Paully D wrote:
    I wonder what story is about to break very soon?

I presume he got a head coaching offer.... I wonder if he had actually signed a contract. We will find out soon I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Greg Schiano:
    I have informed Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick that I am stepping down from my position at the Patriots. This is not the result of any one event, but rather a realization that I need to spend more time on my faith and family. I don’t want to look back years from now and wish I had done things differently. Therefore, I am taking time away from the game to recalibrate my priorities.

Sounds dodgy as hell, although could just be poorly worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Holy f*ck we just got gypped. Reports were there wasn't a lot of interested teams but jesus Christ. You trade him for a 6th? Even if he doesn't fit the system he is worth keeping instead of getting that.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1111423174707535873?s=19

• Advertisement

Last year of contract I suppose and Mike Davis was reported as being ahead of him in depth chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Knex. wrote: »
    Last year of contract I suppose and Mike Davis was reported as being ahead of him in depth chart.

Not worth trading for a 6th. Should have kept him and let him walk next season.

He might not be a good fit but he was still only around 50 yards shy of a 1000 yard rushing season last year. He is more valuable on the team for a season instead of trading him for a 6th and being forced to draft a RB now.

Such a stupid move. He has been a model pro since he was drafted and it appears Pace was desperate to get rid of him for some reason.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Not worth trading for a 6th. Should have kept him and let him walk next season.

He might not be a good fit but he was still only around 50 yards shy of a 1000 yard rushing season last year. He is more valuable on the team for a season instead of trading him for a 6th and being forced to draft a RB now.

Such a stupid move. He has been a model pro since he was drafted and it appears Pace was desperate to get rid of him for some reason.

Why Pace and not Nagy?

Just another case of RBs not worth much. Bears get their likely comp pick a year early and potential for a round earlier.

I agree rbs are not worth much, but also agree it would have just been better to keep him... Plus he would have got at least a conservative 5th round comp pick (I would imagine) albeit a year later.

Jordan Howard and a 2019 5th comp

Vs

A 2020 6th.

Its a bit of a no brainer,cant understand it on the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm very annoyed by this.

IMO you keep him on the roster if that deal is the best on the table. If a situation mid-season emerges where a team needs a RB due to injuries, you'll likely get a better deal. The Browns got a 2019 fifth rounder from the Jags for Carlos Hyde.

If you don't get a mid season trade, let him walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Strange one by the Bears, he’s been productive since he’s entered the league although a bit of a fall off past two years but that’s down to the Bears using Cohen more. Has been commented he’s a model pro, Eagles are getting a steal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I never got excited watching Howard, and to me he is almost the definition of a replacement level player. He offers next to nothing in the passing game and I can't imagine he would have many fans' hearts skipping a beat over the past two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Terrible move. He's a pro bowl rb, the second best in his draft class after Elliot. Moving him on made sense but there's no logic in doing that deal at all.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I agree rbs are not worth much, but also agree it would have just been better to keep him... Plus he would have got at least a conservative 5th round comp pick (I would imagine) albeit a year later.

Jordan Howard and a 2019 5th comp

Vs

A 2020 6th.

Its a bit of a no brainer,cant understand it on the surface

I'd be shocked if you'd get a 5th comp for him. Outside of Bell, no RB is looking to be worth more than a 6th round comp pick this year (including the likes of Ingram and Coleman) and it was looking like Howard's playing time next year would be limited. At best you'd be looking at a 6th round comp pick in 2021, where here you're getting potentially a 2020 5th (which is comparable to to a 2021 4th).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the Eagles got a great deal there.

Howard is a model pro who didn't have a great year due to sharing carries and a line that wasn't run blocking very well.

Davis is a very inconsistent player, I'd have Howard on a whole different level to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tony Romo is playing in a PGA tour event this week. It's not going so well for him though, tied 122nd after the first round. He hasn't started his second round but he won't be making the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

T. J lang retired at 31 good player but injuries held him back

That's a shame, he was (very) quietly maybe about a top 10 guard in the league just before leaving GB. I was half thinking if he was available leading into camp that the packers should consider a one year deal depending on what is addressed in the draft (though doing it under the cap would have been really tricky).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm a bit worried about this development to be honest. I'm not sure there is another non-called penalty that is reviewable. This means that when the officials take over from coaches challenge in the last 2 minutes absolutely every pass play will have the potential to be reviewed.

We might also see...

1. Hail Mary plays will be very valuable and far more deep shots have the potential for a review, bearing in mind that pass interference can look far worse in slow motion that real time full speed....

2..... this includes offensive pass interference as well, one could argue that one or the other happens on most pass plays. Things could get very tricky tacky.

It's a bad idea to bring in a sweeping rule change off the back of a single incident, even if it was a pivotal moment of the NFCCG. They might as well cut to the chase and make every play reviewable. An obvious hold on a game winning TD pass?Why wouldn't that be subject to review?

Finally, the most egregious penalty calls/misses this year were the hands to the face of the QB in my opinion, and these frequently came on key third downs (at least that's the way it felt!) I suppose we will have to wait for a high profile game where this is incorrectly called which materially affects the outcome before the NFL will change the rule (or did this happen in the AFCCG and no one remembers or is bothered by it.?)

I absolutely agree and I'm glad it's not just me who feels like this. The single incident in the NFC championship game was by any standard(bar the biggest LA rams homer fan) a shocking call. I mean how it wasn't called I don't know but it wasn't. From memory the initial remit of replay when it became permanent in the late nineties was to prevent obvious bad calls not ruining games. The one thing I'm happy about is it's still only two challenges as before. And while I'm worried if this will lead to every play or moment of a game being reviewable if it evens up the imbalance between how much of an advantage the offence gets over the defence in the league then maybe it's a potentially okay move. But I'll see how it works next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Mikemac is running a boards.ie mock draft again this season. Register your interest in the thread below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057968000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Emmanuel Ogbah (DE) traded from the Browns to the Chiefs

Eric Murray (S) traded from the Chiefs to the Browns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

I still find it very weird to see Odell with the Browns, going to be an exciting team to follow one way or another next season

Browns have waived Kindred. Thought he was a decent player, so be surprised if he's not picked up early on the waivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

CJ Anderson to the Lions

I know, I know that running backs just aren't valued so much and he's 28 but he did so well end of last season. I'm surprised how long it took

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Guffy

There's been very little movement on the running back fall market on a whole this off season.

Advertisement