Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Summer/ Autumn 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

I have made done my summer analogue forecast in April based on Solar,Enso and QBO and got two years that kinda matched - 1996 and 2006, both had higher than average pressure anomalies nearly exactly where our high pressure sits during this warm spell, I have posted that here earlier if you remember. I wonder if that is just pure luck or there is something more to it.

j

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The GFS is known for wanting us to go back into a normal pattern. During the previous warm spell, it was unusually consistent with showing no breakdown in a pattern for a long while. I started giving the GFS more credit than I normally did but as soon as the return of the westerlies started to appear, I figured that the GFS was back in its normal state of chopping and changing a lot. Remember the Friday 15th June deluge it was showing? I bet many of you wish that came true by now.

I remember for a few days that the GFS was also showing us going into a westerly phase by next Saturday, now that looks to have been delayed. The UKMO shows us in a very humid and thundery easterly scenario for next weekend which would make westerlies not likely to return for a while as shown from the previous warm spell which had a few thundery interludes around each of the weekends of the period.

CFSv2 has now significantly re-strengthened the above average heights for July with a large anticyclone just centred to the north of the country drawing in warm easterly winds. It's very similar in ways to July 1955 how this pattern is setup on the model. If you did not know, July 1955 was Ireland's sunniest month on record. Bar weakening the heights for a time to average for July 2018, the CFSv2 has remained consistent on an anticyclonic July (as shown by its precipitation anomalies) throughout.

I had two ways July 2018 could go in my Summer forecast:

1. Deteriorate into a very cool and relatively wet month.
    2. Continue the Summer on from a warm and dry June with a huge anticyclonic again over us.

Looks like the latter is continuing to be favoured.

My word of advice would be to focus on the weather up to Friday or Saturday for now because you'll find just too many chopping and changes afterwards.

McoEUsp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Changes again for the weekend. UKMO keeps the very warm continental flow throughout delaying the incursion of thundery LP from the south until the early days of next week.

Sunday, very warm.

UW120-21.GIF?26-17

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looks to me as if the aforementioned thundery spell may not happen at all now? That low pressure seems to be forecast to fill almost entirely by the time it actually gets to us.

GFS does show a rain band from some high pressure to our northeast for next Wednesday, but I'm unsure as to whether this would involve thunder or not - the rain is coming from an Atlantic system, but the high pressure is persisting over Ireland in this setup - we're essentially sitting on the boundary of the jet stream:

gfs-0-180.png?6

gfs-2-180.png?6

I know ye were saying to stick with the ECM, but unfortunately it doesn't have precicptation charts, at least not on Meteociel. The ECM's nearest forecast window for this period is 168-192 hours, so here's a GIF which flips between the two:

hmNzAvt.gif

What kind of setup would we get from this, with regard to rain, temperature and/or the possibility of thunderstorms? I was getting kinda excited at the prospect of some decent thunder for the weekend so holding on to the idea that it's not quite dead yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I know ye were saying to stick with the ECM, but unfortunately it doesn't have precicptation charts, at least not on Meteociel.

Try weather.us - it has precip accumulation charts, low-res 'overview' (which includes precip), and a much better version of the ECM output in general than Meteociel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

NAVGEM says 35 in areas next Monday :D No breakdown until well into Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM quickly changing magazines and reloading next weekend. GEM agreeing

ECU1-240.GIF?28-12

gem-0-240.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like a wobble at most.

UKMO - high pressure building in from the southwest towards the end of next week.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

GFS - more or less the same trend.

GFSOPEU12_216_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

ECMWF also on board, a brief interlude of cooler (but still warm) weather over the coming week before another huge area of high pressure builds right over us. Think our weather is officially broken if this comes to pass :pac:

tempresult_rqi0.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking promising. Been holding that pattern the last few runs. At the moment looks like the E astern side of the country getting the warmest temps, up into the high 20's. In general a warm week coming and increasing in temperatures towards the weekend. Will be watched closely no doubt :).

ozKWIX2.gif?1

OvAhY6A.png

0MMRey4.png

hB9hRIH.png

ECM0-192_xnt7.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

18z GFS is about as good as it gets for anyone wanting more of the same, warm/hot and settled right out to the end of the run on July 15th. A few showery days here and there but almost totally dry in the east

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

18z GFS is about as good as it gets for anyone wanting more of the same, warm/hot and settled right out to the end of the run on July 15th. A few showery days here and there but almost totally dry in the east

I want this !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

km79 wrote: »
    I want this !!!!

Me too, but with a nice deluge to help with crops at some point. The worry is, if it rains, we want the good weather to continue later and not dissapear into an early summer memory. No sign of much rain on the models yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

GFS 12z on board again. Very July 2013-esque.

6B8RO0R.png

UKMO same trend.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

GFS 12z on board again. Very July 2013-esque.

6B8RO0R.png

Livers around Ireland shudderðŸºðŸº

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing the Warm/ Hot conditions continuing with heights building again from Fri right out to the end of the run with another Omega Block.

Very dry outlook also.

XL0e6qb.gif?1

C8EU7yg.png

3mPd3OS.gif?1

2N4YdTp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭bloopy

What is a 'mega ridge' and what effects does it have weather wise?

bloopy wrote: »
    What is a 'mega ridge' and what effects does it have weather wise?

In Summer, very warm/hot and settled conditions. They can be difficult to shift and especially with this strength of a ridge that the ECM shows, no doubt it wouldn't budge to at least a week and a half (can be longer). It's even more intense than the July 2013 ridge that brought over two weeks of very dry, warm and sunny conditions so could only imagine what this ridge would bring if it verifies. It's kind of similar to August 1995.

• Advertisement

12z runs continue the saga.

k1Q00pY.png

XSoMXyB.gif

U1dcDj1.gif

Strong signals of HP from next week end into the following week.

3k7vJoi.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

looked at 10 day forecast for Sligo on two sites

Both have no rain forecast.

Whatever about 1995 which had drizzle and mist in NW at times was 1976 this dry in Sligo

Never seen no rain forecast in Sligo 10 day

I thought Id typed the wrong town

Remaining all one way traffic by next weekend and for the following week. High pressure in control and temperatures soaring again. Random...

icon-0-180.png?02-00

Little details will have to wait until closer the time.

GFS going all out Spanish plume by day 10

GFSOPEU06_228_2.png

:-o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

GFSOPEU06_228_2.png

If their was ever a time for a "Jaysus Ted" Meme, this would be it. :eek:
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If their was ever a time for a "Jaysus Ted" Meme, this would be it. :eek:
    Anyone?

Would that bring thunder storms ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFSOPEU06_228_2.png

Imagine those pinks over Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What kind of temps would be expected it that verifies??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

pad199207 wrote: »
    Imagine those pinks over Ireland!

We'd be having temperatures in the 40s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement