Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dfx- wrote: »
    Another trade: a TE from Seattle for a 5th round 2020 pick..

Don’t know anything about him but he can’t be worse than Grimble. Hopefully this guy can block and help the tackles before Mason gets killed, and hopefully Vance injury is not serious.

Great to have a W on the board. Couldn’t stay up as I’d an early start this AM but going by the short highlights they kept things very simple, lots of dink and dunk around the LOS to the running backs etc. Samuels and Conner looked good and another TD for Johnson who looks to be a very good receiver in the making. Hopefully they start taking some shots down the field once MR is more comfortable.

A win v Baltimore on Sunday would be dreamland but I’ve a feeling they will run all over the Steelers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Woke up around the 3rd quarter for a bit. You'd have to be disappointed not to beat them again, their OL is awful - Dalton was sacked eight times by various Steelers, the most he ever had been sacked.

But looking at the scorecard, it looks like another slow start and a lot of reliance on short screens to RBs. You've got to imagine Ravens will shut that down and ask Rudolph beat them over the top.

Which is not good.

It was important to get a win and it looks like they got the game plan spot on for last night. I’m looking forward to watching it later on. Defence had a night by the sounds of it.

By all accounts JuJu and other receivers were getting open in previous games and he is either not seeing them, is afraid to throw it, or is being instructed to check down. Something has to change there.

Important to get the win psychologically before it became a stats thing to beat up a new QB.

You'd hope Ben will be an advantage being on the sideline.

• Advertisement

Xavier Grimble has been cut. Writing was on the wall I suppose once they signed Vannett who looked more than decent last week. They apparently also may need to cut Moncrief before week 10 in order to recoup the compensatory third round pick they were due for Lev Bell, this came off the table when the Eagles cut Fort due to whatever crazy formula the league uses. Moncrief has done nothing to convince anybody that he is worth a roster spot to date so you’d imagine he will be gone before the deadline as they really need that pick.

Can’t watch the Raven game this week as I’ll be travelling. The more the week goes on the better I’m feeling about it. I think they’ve a good chance of turning them over if they can contain the run damage.

Ugh.

The Paxton Lynch era is upon us! They cut Fred Johnson and Elliot to make room for Lynch and Edmunds. Johnson won’t clear waivers you’d imagine as he looked quite promising and there are over a dozen teams with chronic lack of oline depth. Same thing happened with Skipper a few weeks back. I guess Rudolph will be out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The Paxton Lynch era is upon us.

Probably defines our season in a sentence this!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Probably defines our season in a sentence this!!

Yep, comical disaster at this stage. In fairness we have always been in the shake up for the playoffs up to now so can’t really complain.

One bright spot is that the secondary looks much improved and the defence is getting lots of sacks and takeaways. If the offence wasn’t such a liability or even if Ben was healthy I think the Steelers would be doing fine. Even with the insane run of injuries they have been competitive in all games except the opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Chargers will win easy on Sunday night.

Given the Steelers are starting a guy at QB that was on the street a few weeks ago that’s hardly a brave prediction.

I do think that the Steelers pass rush will get to Rivers though so if Duck isn’t terrible at QB there is slim hope.

Yawn......

Steelers D completely shutting down the Chargers. Wish I could stay up for the rest of this but so far so good anyway.

The Duck with the win!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    The Duck with the win!!!

Watched the first half but had to go to bed then. Defence won it for them. Duck is as good as you could hope for for a UDFA though.

Great to have the bye week now because the number of injuries is gone beyond a joke.

Watched it through. Great defense until the 4th quarter where they nearly let them back into it, getting beaten by Henry and Williams over the middle.

Two very long offense drives helping the defense stay off. Conner ran riot.

Note for Berry for the final punt pinning them to the one yard line.

Any chance of Hargrave being traded to get back a pick is surely gone now.

Any chance of Hargrave being traded to get back a pick is surely gone now.

They’ll need him until the end of the season and may even look to re-sign him? Cam and Alualu are pushing on and Tuitt is constantly getting injured. If he has any interest in staying in Pitt I wouldn’t be letting Hargrave go personally, especially given their lack of draft capital.

Through all the issues with the offence the bright spots this season were the improved secondary and pass rush. Tuitt was playing at a pro bowl if not an all pro level. This leaves them really thin on the D line.

The Ravens and Browns are not particularly great but any slim chance the Steelers has of making a run at the division has passed with this news you’d imagine.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's much chance of Hargrave getting the money at the Steelers he's going to get elsewhere like Jesse James. It was being touted that if they were 2-4/2-5ish at the trade deadline, it would be worthwhile to get something for him because he's not staying. There has supposedly been very little conversation between the two on staying.

Hopefully Haden is ok too. Him going off brought in Artie Burns with the expected calamitous consequences. Cam Sutton really impressed I have to say.

Yeah there is a lot of money tied up in the D line already with Cam Heyward and Tuitt on big deals. That said, Hargrave, Hilton and Bud Dupree are all up at the end of the year and they surely have to use their first two picks on offence.

Main thing for next year is get Ben back and get some weapons around him to help move the ball. 2019 is looking like a lost season due to injuries and the loss of AB.

Sutton is looking very good and the whole secondary is looking better, albeit that tendency to give up big plays at times is still there.

The worry is how long is it going to take to get the offense right? It has taken seven straight years in the draft + Fitzpatrick and Haden to get the defense up to this level.

It’s easier to ‘fix’ an offence I think, especially if you can get another year or two out of Ben at a good level. Who know what way he will be when he gets back though.

Fair play to Rudolph to recover after a horrendous start, it would have been easy to fall apart at 14-0 with the crowd booing the team. He kept drives going after that albeit with some great plays from his receivers. He is not near ready to be a starter and may never be but thats his second win in four starts.

Two big home games coming up now v Colts and Rams they need to be winning at least one of those if there is to be any faint hope of a playoff run.

Conner apparently sustained an AC Joint injury in garbage time hope he’ll be ok, he was great last night, Nix made a big difference when he was in there.

Not hugely positive after that given the opposition. In fairness to the booing fans, Hurns breaking four 'tackles' at the goalline for his TD deserves criticism after Rudolph throwing INTs and underthrowing the ball.

14-3 at halftime and Miami gives up a touchdown. Looking at the highlights, there was a lot of 1st and 20, 3rd and long completions. The Colts and Rams won't be as accommodating.

I don't think the offense is anywhere near good enough for a playoff, but it's important to make the record respectable to reflect the defense. They are better than the 3-4 record.

Yeah the Ravens should win the division pulling up but you never know.

The offence is bad and it’s hard to see where improvement will come from but while they are mathematical in it I’ll keep some hope.

Great win versus the Colts, Fitzpatrick has been on fire INT wise since his trade!! Back up to .500 not getting excited but it’s positive, a win is a win.

A bit lucky but I think they were due one of those. Colts are a good team but they were missing some big names and obviously lost Brissett early.

Rams are next up at Heinz again. That’s going to be a tough one. If they somehow manage to win that then a WC spot is very much a possibility.

• Advertisement

Fitzpatrick has 4 INT since we traded for him, maybe few more and that 1st we gave the Dolphins for him might not seem like bad business.

Advertisement