Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think you need to eat more. You are more than likely starving your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Definitely agree with Stench Blossoms! Are you exercising on top of that? That would mean if your burned 200 cals in a session you'd have only 1000 left for your body to use.

I was similar to you, eating around that, and lots of exercise on top and my weight was so random. I'd lose a small bit then I'd fly up the scales for no reason.

Since I upped my protein, lowered the carbs a little and started eating around 1500 cals a day my weight has stabilised (TOUCH WOOD!!!) and I've even lost a little.

If you're nervous about upping cals do it gradually, I did it 50-100 cals extra a week until I hit 1500. I may up again to 1600, depending on how my weight goes.

It's important those extra cals come from good sources though, like adding some olive oil when cooking or eat nuts for snacks!

No expert all the above is just based on my experience of the same situation! It can be so frustrating when you're stuck at a certain weight for so long!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

1200 a day is way too few calories! For a start you'll never sustain that in the long run, its a recipe for a yo yo weight. I think you'll need to play the long game here as you are just effectively toning up (11 stone at 5:5 isn't too bad anyway, don't put so much pressure on yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Yeah I was worried about that alright. It's just that I've been following the 1500 cals per day for so long and getting nowhere. Granted that was with me being less strict on myself at weekends so I guess I must have been wiping out my deficit at weekends. MFP calculates my maintenance cals at around 1850, which seems low so that's why I started dropping the cals to 1200. So I'm going to take your advice and up the calories to around 1500 per day and see if that helps move things along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What a great thread! I am also a Food Diary veteran, I lost about 3 stone on mine about three years ago but unfortunately through certain stresses/ excitements (new mortgage, job and engagement, amongst other things!) I've put most of it back on.

My wedding is in June and I've been chipping away at the weight loss once again. I've lost almost a stone since before Christmas, aiming for another 1.5 for my hen in April and would love 2stone gone for the wedding :)

Currently doing 5:2 with a low-carb slant. I'm also going to try and keep my beloved dairy to a minimum, as I think it flares up my psoriasis as well as asthma/ allergies. It's my first fast day today and I feel fine so far, not hungry at all which is strange!

weight.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Just wondering if any of you get people commenting on the food you eat? I usually have a salad for my lunch; I try to make it very appetising, plenty of protein (chicken or salmon both of which I really like), usually half an avocado or pesto for good fats, mixed salad leaves, maybe some beetroot and orange segments, stuff like that. I regularly get people saying to me in the work canteen "oh thats very healthy" or "is this a new years resolution?" ( even though I've been eating like that since early last year). It makes me a bit self conscious about taking out my lunchbox, knowing someone will comment on it.

hollypink wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you get people commenting on the food you eat? I usually have a salad for my lunch; I try to make it very appetising, plenty of protein (chicken or salmon both of which I really like), usually half an avocado or pesto for good fats, mixed salad leaves, maybe some beetroot and orange segments, stuff like that. I regularly get people saying to me in the work canteen "oh thats very healthy" or "is this a new years resolution?" ( even though I've been eating like that since early last year). It makes me a bit self conscious about taking out my lunchbox, knowing someone will comment on it.

100% yes and I hate it.
    Work has eased off a bit recently but home is lethal! I love at home and cook my own dinners so I can have what I want and eat the way I want! There are always questions: "what are you having NOW? etc.. And I've upped my meals/cals recently, all healthy stuff, as I had too big a deficit with my exercise. Now the comments are like "oh you're having something else!? " so frustrating especially because everything is accounted for in my cals like and I don't throw them away on junk!

It can be very frustrating alright.

In other weight loss news I am officially obsessed with the hairy bikers diet book. Had the Korma again and it was even nicer than before! Made a few changes (quark, extra.veg etc) but such nice recipes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

hollypink wrote: »

I am so paranoid when it comes to that issue. I keep thinking that people are looking at me saying look at the fat girl eating again :o I know its stupid but I can't help it. I don't have an issue at home as my family are used to me now. I hate eating in front of people who are not family or friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I saw a article on facebook about discipline and one point that struck home was this
    When people comment on your results and say things like “Wow you have a lot discipline” answer “No, I just make loving choices for myself". Reinforcing your own positive behavior will help you grow in strength.

I dont see myself actually replying like that but I think it's a good way to think of it.

Full article in case anyone is interested:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/161/The_Myth_of_Discipline.aspx

So yeh this was happening me for awhile. Not a huge fan of people criticizing my food choices.

I countered it by saying 'Man, you are having ANOTHER portion of bread today?' or 'Ahhh treating yourself again today?' and it soon stopped.

I know that sounds mean but I think commenting on my food in the first place was pretty mean as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

21.5 to 12.5? Fair play bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Denerick wrote: »
    21.5 to 12.5? Fair play bud.

That's incredible.

My friends know what I'm doing so it's okay for me, thankfully, I don't think I could handle people commenting on my food all the time!

Question, according to myfitnesspal I'm overshooting my protein every day, is that a bad thing/something I should watch? Bearing in mind I'm not doing exercise (yet). But to be honest I'm struggling to fill my calories as it is and I don't want to bump it up with carbs :(

misslt wrote: »
    That's incredible.

My friends know what I'm doing so it's okay for me, thankfully, I don't think I could handle people commenting on my food all the time!

Question, according to myfitnesspal I'm overshooting my protein every day, is that a bad thing/something I should watch? Bearing in mind I'm not doing exercise (yet). But to be honest I'm struggling to fill my calories as it is and I don't want to bump it up with carbs :(

The standard goals for mfp are brutal. You can manually change them. I've mine set to 40:30:30 p:c:f

The standard goals for mfp are brutal. You can manually change them. I've mine set to 40:30:30 p:c:f

That's great, I didn't know that.

What should I be aiming for roughly? I'm totally new to this, trying to learn a little bit everyday :)

I was recommended 40:30:30 so go with that. I think doctorwhogirl is on something similar.

I was recommended 40:30:30 so go with that. I think doctorwhogirl is on something similar.

Brilliant, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

MFP set my carbs to about 60% and in the beginning I didn't know I could change it. Mine is similar to DWG's it's 40:30:30.

Pembily wrote: »
    MFP set my carbs to about 60% and in the beginning I didn't know I could change it. Mine is similar to DWG's it's 40:30:30.

Yup! Those are the macros I stick to! I actually have them set to 50 25 25 but I stick to 40:30:30 myself. Might have 41% or so carbs round weekend treat days etc... It seems to be a good recommended macros intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Yup! Those are the macros I stick to! I actually have them set to 50 25 25 but I stick to 40:30:30 myself. Might have 41% or so carbs round weekend treat days etc... It seems to be a good recommended macros intake.
    Oh that is what you mean by macros, now it makes sense :o

• Advertisement

Okay updated my macros and am getting them mostly right (will take a bit of tweaking I think).

Weighing in tomorrow morning. Should be interesting! Haven't given it 100% this week as I'm still finding my feet so I'm not expecting anything, just as long as I haven't put anything on ;)

At what point should I be concerned about my egg consumption? I'm having two eggs (whole) for breakfast most mornings and am just concerned about my cholesterol.

At what point should I be concerned about my egg consumption? I'm having two eggs (whole) for breakfast most mornings and am just concerned about my cholesterol.

Never.

I have 2 eggs EVERY morning and my cholesterol is just fine.

If you want to add me on mfp pm me and I'll give you my username.

Never.

I have 2 eggs EVERY morning and my cholesterol is just fine.

If you want to add me on mfp pm me and I'll give you my username.

That's great, I love the eggs!

Thanks so much, ill pm you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Do you find the macro split makes a big difference? I've been using the MPF default for about 6 months, and the one time I tried to up my protein intake I fell off the wagon completely. I can't tolerate a lot of fat ever since I had my gallbladder out, small amounts are okay, but any more makes me unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

That is just amazing, well done you look great.

Do you find the macro split makes a big difference? I've been using the MPF default for about 6 months, and the one time I tried to up my protein intake I fell off the wagon completely. I can't tolerate a lot of fat ever since I had my gallbladder out, small amounts are okay, but any more makes me unwell.

It's hard to eat healthily without a gall bladder, but there are some very good tips here

http://balancedbites.com/2012/12/faqs-how-can-i-eat-paleo-without-a-gallbladder.html

One of the most important ones is to try the autoimmune control method to find what suits your body and what doesn't.

Not everyone illicits the same responses, and it's necessary to find exactly what to avoid while still finding some good fats that you can work with.

The macros are quite important for two main reasons
    1 - A body run on carbohydrate yearns carbohydrate (easiest fuel to turn into glucose and bodyfat)
    2 - A body run on fats is a satiated body, and calorie control comes more naturally.

Obviously there's a middle ground that someone in your own situation should look to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

It's hard to eat healthily without a gall bladder, but there are some very good tips here
    Obviously there's a middle ground that someone in your own situation should look to find.

Thanks for that, I don't really find eating healthily a problem, in that I eat mostly unprocessed fruit and vegetables, eggs, chicken and fish, yoghurt and am usually able to maintain my calorie deficit, along with getting good amounts of exercise. It's only really some fats that I don't tolerate well, nuts, cheese, large amounts of oil. So I suppose what I'm wondering, is if I stick with a diet that has a moderate amount of carbs, but keep to my calorie goal, am I going to be less successful than if I was eating an equivalent amount of calories but with lower carbs?

I changed my macros because naturally I found myself eating more protein than carbs.

I looked at my pie charts on mfp and on the days I diaried properly I was closer to 40:30:30 than the 25:55:20 they had me on :O

Edit - I've actually set them up wrong, I have carbs in as 40%, whoops!

Today I'm at 40% carbs but normally wouldn't have two main carb portions :)

I changed my macros because naturally I found myself eating more protein than carbs.

I looked at my pie charts on mfp and on the days I diaried properly I was closer to 40:30:30 than the 25:55:20 they had me on :O

Edit - I've actually set them up wrong, I have carbs in as 40%, whoops!

Today I'm at 40% carbs but normally wouldn't have two main carb portions :)

I think in or around 40 is grand! For me anyway!

I'm just back from my first football training session in 12 years!!!!!!!!! And I lived! I'm a bit wheezy because of the fog, think the asthma is kicking in, cold weather doesn't help!

I'm probably about 2 stone lighter than I was then (and I was 14! :P) and it was great to be able to run around more easily. I'm nowhere near as fit as the others but I didn't die! Hurrah!

I wore my heart rate monitor out of curiosity and it read 808 at the end!?!!!!! :O :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's exactly why I'll never get a heart rate monitor :)

very health-anxious since I started getting panic attacks several years ago, I won't watch house or similar shows because I don't want to give myself ideas and that kind of information would just send me loopy. had myself convinced that heartburn was cancer a couple of years ago.

Advertisement