Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lava_man

Both teams went at it, a couple of delays with injuries. Great performance from the defense, again. Kaep did well, his intercept came from a poor snap. I liked some of the 3rd down conversions - a rarity with Alex Smith. Re Akers, I agree but he is coming from such a high standard set last season.

Difficult to assess what effect the QB situation will have on the locker room, so long as they're winning things will stay calm. I imagine Smith has a loyal following seeing as he's been there 8 or so years, but getting dropped is part of the game.

Williams has been solid on special teams, hard to forgive for last year! Hopefully Ted Ginn slots back in.

The secondary looks the weak link, they gave up a few yellow flags.

All-in-all though we're looking strong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice of Jim Harbaugh to clear up the QB situation. When asked about what goes into his decision he had this to say.

Alex Smith is our starting quarterback. He has not done anything to lose that job. In fact, he's playing at a very high level. Also, Colin Kaepernick, you can't categorize him as a backup quarterback because he's started games, and played very well in those games.

So 2 starters, no Backup. :confused:

+1. no idea. mind games? or the beginning of the quarter back committee??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another Classic from that interview:

Reporter: "Speaking about those guys, how ready are they? How ready is LaMichael James to return kicks on a reasonably full-time basis if he had to? How ready is A.J. Jenkins to really take a load as far you can tell?"

Jim Harbaugh "I know what you just asked, but I was so mesmerized and dazzled by your voice right there. You have got a great voice. I lost my train of thought."

Full transcript:
    http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/11/26/3695328/jim-harbaugh-press-conference-transcript-49ers-vs-saints

Going by the transcript it sounds like Kaepernick will be starting. A lot of emphasis on the team thing to give himself a bit of wiggle room if things go wrong.

• Advertisement

good news here, Navarro Bowman has signed on with the 49ers on a 5 year deal...This makes me happy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000101785/article/navorro-bowman-signs-extension-with-san-francisco-49ers

"but the biggest concern at the moment is David Ackers, missed 1 FG and had another blocked, this needs sorting out soon or it will come back to bite us in the ass"

So true.

Well yes, it wasn't a terrible kick, but that's twice now in overtime he has missed game winning kicks.

Also Ted Ginn should really have put his body on the line to recover that mess of a read option play.

Essentially it was a game that should have been won.

We still have to play Seattle and New England, if we dont win at least one of those Seattle still have a shot at the division.

Also Green Basy are now looking good to overtake us in the race for the 2nd seed in the NFL now too.

Yeah, it would be unfair to attribute the loss on Ackers. Agreed, don't know what Ted Ginn was doing strolling along with the football on his own 2 yard line - awful toss to him btw. Should've smothered it asap.

The Rams worked hard for the win and they have our number. All Kaepernick needs is the experience. The talent is there.

It'll be interesting to see how Seattle do without the 2 corners.

Still confident of winning the division.

Yeah, should still win the divison,

So far this season we seem to put 2 good performances and then 1 terrible 1.

Dont understand how you go from beating the bears and the packers to losing to the Rams.

Should at least get back on track against Miami this week, beofre 2 very tough games following that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Ok, If the Niners won yesterday they would have locked up the #2 seed! The only way they would lose it is if they went 2-2 the rest of the way while the packers or bears went 4-0!!!

If they beat the dolphins and patriots then Gore could've rested the last 2 weeks. But of course that's not the case anymore.

Now if the Niners go 3-1 they will lose the #2 seed if the packers or bears go 4-0.

Yesterday was a HUGE loss, more than what most people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Incredible to think we haven't been able to win 3 on the spin all season despite at times looking completely dominant.. Doesn't augur well for the playoffs! I still believe we're the most complete team out there when we click. Huge games at Seattle and New England. Please don't blow this!

Beat the Dolphins 27-13 yesterday, some good and some bad in the performance.

The Good:

Colin Kaepernick was very efficient and didn't force the ball into coverage going 18/23 for 185 yards and 100.2 passer rating. He also had a 50 yard rushing TD to ice the game right at the end.
    Frank Gore looked very good, equalling the 49ers rushing TD record with 50 and gaining his 6th 1000 yard rushing season. The 49ers seem to be reducing his workload in the hope of keeping him fresh for the playoffs. He only carried the ball 12 times, he also made a huge play in the passing game picking up 19 on a screen play on 2nd and 20.
    Lamichael James looked very good, with 8 carries for 30 yards, and 15 recieving yards. He could be a huge bonus for us heading into the playoffs, assuminng we are indeed heading into the playoffs.
    Aldon Smith scored 2 more sacks, giving him the 49ers single season record and inching him ever closer to the NFL single season record. He needs 3.5 more sacks to equal this and with the Cardinals still to play that looks doable.

The not so good

Colin Kaepernick put the ball on the ground on the 49ers first drive luckily recovered by the offense. He also seemed hesitant to throw the ball down the field at times which resulted in him taking a few sacks (4 in total).
    We had to use timeouts where Kaepernick didn't seem aware of the play clock running down and still trying to change plays.
    The 49ers were awful on 3rd down and against a better team would probably have cost us.
    Special teams gave up another long kickoff return, which det the Dolphins up nicely at mid-field.
    Harbaugh again wasted a challenge and our last timeout on a pretty silly challenge, he does this far too often to be honest.

Not too muck else to take from this game, a good win against a decent enough defense, our offense struggled at times, but you can't argue with a win at this time of year.

The 49ers now lie at 9-3-1, the seahawks are 1.5 games back. With the Packers winning they are now 9-4, half a game back in the race for the second seed.

The 49ers now know that there are 2 huge road games coming up. Sunday night in New England and the following week in Seattle, beofre finishing up against the hapless Cardinals.

In order to hold onto the number 2 seed the 49ers are likely to need to win out. The Packers face the Bears, Titans and Vikings.

In order to secure the division the 49ers need to beat either the Patriots or the Seahawks, if they lose both of those we would be left looking for a wildcard berth as the Seahawks play Buffalo and St. Louis in their last 2 games.

In other news Pete Carroll suddenly seems a lot less touchy about teams running up the score then when he was at USC. Going for it on 4th and 23 or whatever when up by 50 is a probably a bit much.

Don't plan anything big for the next 2 Mondays as the niners are on SNF @ New England this Sunday and the game the following week @ Seattle has just been moved to the late slot also.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000108773/article/ninersseahawks-week-16-game-flexed-to-snf

In other news Brandon Jacobs has been released after a series of idiotic tweets and doing nothing all year.

Just reading about Jacobs there, said he is suspended for last 3 games. Strange that he never got a chance after recovering from injury but his tweets are like those from a spoilt brat. I didn't know that he regularly spends 20 minutes pre game punching the goal post padding, his way of dealing with the situation. Riiiight.

So the Patriots on Sunday night, should be pushovers.

Playoff scnarios for the weekend aka who to root for in the early games:

49ers Seal the division with:

49ers win + Seattle loss

That was the easy bit.

49ers Clinch a playoff spot with:

49ers win

or

49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + MIN loss or tie

or

49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + WAS loss or tie + GB-CHI does not end in tie

or

49ers tie + DAL loss or tie + MIN loss or tie + Chicago loss

or

49ers tie + NYG loss or + MIN loss or tie + Chi loss

or

49ers lose + MIN loss + DAL loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Just reading about Jacobs there, said he is suspended for last 3 games. Strange that he never got a chance after recovering from injury but his tweets are like those from a spoilt brat. I didn't know that he regularly spends 20 minutes pre game punching the goal post padding, his way of dealing with the situation. Riiiight.

What a nutter butter. He was apparently trying to engineer a release to get back to the Giants (thank god that didn't happen)

49ers missed nothing with Jacobs this year. He is washed up and is a super diva on par with TO/Chad/Moss

Exactly the same situation has Braylon Edwards last year, waste of a roster spot. Especially at RB where you have Gore, Hunter,James, Dixon

So a a confidence rating of 1 to 5 (1 being no chance, 5 being sure thing) how confident are you that we will beat the Patriots?

I think I started the week around 2, but I think I've edged my way up to a 3. The 49ers haven't been great the last few weeks but if they can bring their best performance I think we have a chance.

I think the Patriots secondary could give up points and to win we will probably need to put up points and control the clock.

Very excited by it, a little nervous but I don't think we will get blown out by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

You think there's a ~60% chance that the patriots lose this game?

• Advertisement

I'd see at as more of a 50 50 type game which is why I'm wavering between a 2 and a 3, if I was being objective and neutral I'd give the Pats a slight edge. But objectivity and neutrality go out the window where the 49ers are concerned.

I don't buy into the general consensus that NE are going to march to the superbowl based on their performance against Houston.

The last time the Niners were 6 point underdogs? Week 1 at Lambeau field. Must re-watch that one.

Similar to Adrian I find myself becoming more confident as this week has progressed. Obviously it's a huge task, patriots are THE form team right now and their offence is at times unstoppable. But the 9'ers D will be relishing this challenge. Their chances of winning depend on them slowing the game right down and forcing the patriots into mistakes and hopefully turnovers. Kaep and co need to make the most of the chances they get too. I think it will be closer than the 5 point spread, I give us a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Patriots are on fire right now and this game is in New England. 49ers have to travel like 2500/3000 miles to go the patriots in December.

Anybody that says we're going to march to the SB is kind of an idiot, but we're obviously favorites after Monday. And I don't think any reasonable pats fan is part of that general consensus.

Forcing the patriots to turnover the ball is sooo much easier said than done. It's not something we really do. Brady did some preparation for your D after the Jets game on thanksgiving and started watching film straight after the Houston game. Your D will probably need to have a stellar night for the niners to have a chance.

I'm really trying to be objective here but we have to be at least 60/40 to win this game.

Eerily reminiscent of the Saints game last January in many respects.

Leagues best offense against best defense. Not too many siding with the 49ers.

49ers will need to control the clock, get pressure on Brady and win the turnover battle.

Also Kaepernick will need to control the play clock much better than last week where it cost us 4 timeouts.

A big ask? certainly but not impossible.

Don't forget the Patriots are coming off a short week.

One to look forward to certainly. While a defeat isn't the end of the world I really don't want the niners going to Seattle next Sunday night with the division title on the line.

Very excited.

Wow, just wow. Bedtime.

Well that was ..........interesting to say the least.

Got out of New England with a win in December, facing 65 pass attempts from Brady, but putting up enough points to see us through. Just.

Thoughts:

Kaepernick threw 4 TD passes, Alex Smith never managed this during his career. He made a lot of good decisions, other than the INT he played a very good game. Could have had a few more scores, just missed on a couple of throws.

David Ackers, really needs to sort out his FG kicking or it's going to cost us in January.

Ted Ginn looked horrible on the punt returns, really hesitant and lucky not to turn one over.

How many fumbles between Goodwin and Kaepernick? One of them resulted in a TD but still something that needs sorting out.

Frank Gore is amazing, hopefully he breaks the 49ers rushing TD record next week.

Playcalling got overly conservative in the third quarter. Both on offense and defense.

Lamichael James, that kick off return swung the momentum back our way after giving up 4 TD's in succession.

Defense came up huge when it really mattered, got pressure on Brady and played really well for the most part.

Defense got by without Justin Smith for most of the second half, hopefully his injury is not too serious.

Crabtree is having a great year, 2 TD's and over 100 yards last night.

Delanie Walker made some nice plays, scored a TD and recovered the onside kick.

Any reason Brady didn't draw an unsprortsmanlike penalty when he threw the ball into the ground full force after the 49ers got a timeout off on defense in the second half?

Great game, really dug out the win when it looked like we were going to capitulate completely.

So the 49ers will wrap up the division with a win in either of the last 2 games (@ Seattle or v Arizona). We remain a half game ahead of Green Bay in the race for the number 2 seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Jeez late night, quarter past 5 when I got to bed . I found this game to be different than the last couple. For once Kapernick was aloud to throw the ball and with great effect, wasn't perfect but very effective and the plays in the first half were really working especially the fake punt.

The defense seemed to fall apart with Justin Smith was injured and they came up against the unstoppable machine that is Tom Brady. But sign of just how good they are is when it was 31-31 and the quick TD. This really puts them back as real Superbowl contenders but the one big question that is being asked, is Ackers up to it in tight games?

I know everyone is giving the refs a hard time, but like my grandfather used to say: The day I can't do my job drunk is the day I turn in my badge and gun.

Seahawks Sunday night, big game, but not as big a gmae as it would have been if we had failed to beat the Patriots.

The 49ers can wrap up the division with a win here or a win against Arizona next week.

In order to secure the 2nd seed and a first round bye we need a 49ers win and a Packers loss. If both teams win the 49ers would need to beat Arizona to secure the 2 seed.

Justin Smith has not taken part in practice this week and would seem a long shot to play. Seahawks CB Richard Sherman sat out practice also, presumably dealing with his appeal against a suspension, if that appeal is unsuccessful then he would b unable to play, should hear more later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fair play lads, great (no..........monumental) win for ye.
    I have to LOL at the Pats fans excuses at the loss, I watched the whole game & have to say the 49ers were by far the better team, ye must fancy a crack at the SB now ??!!
    The one thing that really grabbed my attention was Kaepernick's attitude, he showed no fear, he just let it rip, if I was a 49ers fan I'd be very happy/excited about the future !

• Advertisement

I've been hugely impressed with Kaepernick, he has been making really good decisions for the most part, has made some big plays and hasn't really turned it over to much.

He makes throws that Smith used to just not make , so is not quite as safe but has much better upside.

The fact that he has a few games under his belt going into the playoffs is very beneficial.

He obviosuly needs to sort out the fumbles on the snap that happened against the Patriots.

His stats so far, for games he has started are something like this:

v Chicago:

243 yards 2 TD's 0 INT 133.1 rating

@ Saints

231 yards 1 TD 1 INT 90.6

@ Rams

208 yards 0 TD 0 INT 83.8

v Dolphins

185 yards 0 TD 0 INT 100.2

@ Patriots

216 yards 4 TD 1 INT 107.7

Total 1083 yards 7 TD's 2 Interceptions 66.7 completion pct.

His passer rating for the year is 101.5

Rushing he also has 379 yards and 5 TD's for the season

Advertisement