Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Wow got to hand it to Marks their wheat-free chocolate brownies squares are absolutely incredible! Exactly the right texture (crumbly outside, chewy/fudgy/gooey inside) and there's no additives or dodgy stuff in the ingredients at all. They're made with sugar, gluten-free flour (rice, potato and maize), butter (not veg oil yay!), free range eggs, cocoa, ground almonds and xantham gum. I am seriously impressed by that list! They were supposed to be for christmas eve but after playing in the snow and going for a few drinks this evening my will power was seriously lacking :rolleyes: Hopefully there will be more on the shelves before Christmas!

For anyone interested Marks also do gluten-free mince pieces (about 4 euro for 4), gluten-free christmas cake and and gluten-free almond frangipane traybake. It took me a few goes to find any mince pies left, they keep selling out. Hopefully they're as good as the brownies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I ate those Hodgins sausages over Christmas, awful. M&S ones are much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

The Baytree in Athy, Co Kildare

Very nice restaurant. The chef is a coeliac and the majority of their mains, breads and deserts are gluten free. He does a lovely GF chocolate cake the likes of which I've only dreamed of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I've just come across this Irish coeliac's blog:

http://glutenfreephotos.blogspot.com/

It's got loads of information on their experience of eating out around the country, where to shop, what products actually taste semi-decent, that sort of thing. There's also recipes and a personable commentary on life as an Irish coeliac. I've already found it really useful. Latest post is about flourless chocolate cake. Must try it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thought Hodgins Blacking pudding was horrible- full of salt.

Recently ate in Chocolat in Limerick- menu has Coeliac friendly and Coeliac options available. Really nice place, I'll be going there again. Also, despite looking rather louche and glamourous it is surprisingly child friendly.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Ate in O'Connels in Donneybrook (Dublin) and it was excellent to not have to worry about what was coeliac friendly. Practically the whole menu could be made coeliac and all the desserts were made coeliac friendly, including a chocolate pudding that was very yummy.

You can have a look at the menu here.

http://www.oconnellsdonnybrook.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Anyone in lucan the gluten free goodie is now doing apple tarts.. they are nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

You can definitely buy Genius bread in Dunnes in Maynooth.

Superquinn in Ballinteer stock 'genius' bread. I had my first taste today and it's absolutely incredible. You can eat it 'raw' without having to toast it and it tastes fantastic. It's exactly like normal bread and if you gave it to a non coeliac, I doubt they'd be able to tell the difference. It comes in a full loaf and you just cut the slices yourself. No crumbling mess either. Its the best thing since....sliced bread.:pac:

Genius bread is nice alright, all the supervalues seem to have it now. But marks and spencer brown, seeded, loaf is a million times nicer, nutty and full of seeds.

I also like the liv well ciabatta rolls ( same as tesco own, probably produced in same place and different packaging?) very nice toasted but very crumbly and I've bought a few that had mould on them even well before the bbd.

Just want to note that with the new EC legislation there are several changes in this updated food list.

http://www.coeliac.ie/gf_living/choosing_food/food_list/updates

Including some Knorr soups, several Shamrock backing products and various sweets and crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Wantobe wrote: »
    Genius bread is nice alright, all the supervalues seem to have it now. But marks and spencer brown, seeded, loaf is a million times nicer, nutty and full of seeds.

I also like the liv well ciabatta rolls ( same as tesco own, probably produced in same place and different packaging?) very nice toasted but very crumbly and I've bought a few that had mould on them even well before the bbd.

Sounds fab. Roly's Restaurant in Ballsbridge do a fab nutty GF bread. Absolutely gorgeous treat!

Clonakilty Gluten free sausages - so so much better than the Hodgins range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Eebs wrote: »
    Clonakilty Gluten free sausages - so so much better than the Hodgins range.

Yup these are tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

M&S do a nice sausage also. Hodgins white pudding is nicer than the black version.

MnS started doing amazing food range. Haven't tried the bread yet but the chocolate cherry fudge cake is unreal. So so good.

Eebs wrote: »
    chocolate cherry fudge cake

:eek::eek::eek: Ok going in there first thing tomorrow to try this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

My fav of M and S gf range is the pecan/caramel squares, chocolate brownies yum too and people love the lemon drizzle cake. They have recently introduced GF sandwiches that seem to be very unpopular.

the pecan/caramel squares

What!! OMG I have been missing out big time, M&S rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Karlati

You might want to try looking up 'GFCF'. It's about going not only gulten free, but dairy free as well. http://www.gfcf.com
    Dairy sucks big time and can be worse than gluten.
    I'm a nutrition consultant/therapist and try to recommend this type of eating as there are many complications associated with both types of food..
    Good luck.. ;)

I ate at The Cherrytree restaurant in Ballina-Killaloe this week, just outside Limerick. When the waitress came I said I was coeliac and wondered what I could have on the menu. Why, pretty much everything, was the answer. They don't use flour in their sauces. I was brought gluten free bread without pre-booking as a coeliac.

And the food was to die for. I don't honestly ever remember having a better meal. I'll be back and heartily recommend this gorgeous restaurant to other coeliacs. We had scallops, halibut, quail and barbary duck. And a warm chocolate fondant served with baileys pannacotta. Mmmm. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭mjg

Zaks on Marlboro St, Cork have a seperate menu for coeliacs, day and evening. Ate there recently, just a simple lunch but nice and no problems afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My most amazing finds so far are Genius bread (although from the nutritional info it seems whoppingly calorie packed) and Tesco Free From Chocolate Brownies. They're actually nicer than any "normal" brownies I've ever had.

I'm really missing sauces and flavorings however...dinner time has become fairly bland. My favorite curry sauce is out of the question and I haven't found a replacement. Also I used to love Old El Passo Fajita Mix. Im missing both of these most.Has anyone found decent alternatives for either?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I have a birthday coming up soon, looking for coeliac restaurants in Dublin. Any suggestions? Preferably city centre or Ranelagh area

My most amazing finds so far are Genius bread (although from the nutritional info it seems whoppingly calorie packed) and Tesco Free From Chocolate Brownies. They're actually nicer than any "normal" brownies I've ever had.

I'm really missing sauces and flavorings however...dinner time has become fairly bland. My favorite curry sauce is out of the question and I haven't found a replacement. Also I used to love Old El Passo Fajita Mix. Im missing both of these most.Has anyone found decent alternatives for either?

Discovery have a whole range of coeliac friendly spice mixes and I like them way better then the OEP ones.
    The dry kind were out of stock in Tesco for a while but recently I saw them again. They have liquid sauces and one in a jar that has spices and has liquid sauce too. I guess just try see what you like.

My favourite coeliac restaurant in town is a thai restaurant in the italian quater called 'Koh'. You can get rice noodles there and the food is just gorgeous. It's a really nice place. Also in the Italian quater is La Taverna Di baccio who offer all their dishes with coeliac spaghetti. They make a mean carbonara.

If you look on menupages.ie you can actually also select 'coeliac' as an option to sort your results by. That's pretty handy to find new places.

Knorr doing a new instant gravy that's gluten free.

Also with the impending legislation a lot of products are changing their labeling, in some cases this means the product in question is not changing but they may no longer say they are gluten free. Be sure to check the coeliac society handbook for more up to date info on products and prepare to see lots more changes as the new legislation comes into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Does anybody know the bakery in cork that does the gluten free bread etc? I thought i heard that one had open recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Does anybody know the bakery in cork that does the gluten free bread etc? I thought i heard that one had open recently.

is it that new place by the bishopstown bar you're thinking of? nellys pantry? havent been in there but i think i remember reading in one of those free papers that she has an interest in GF foods because she's intolerant herself. ABC in the english market and the quay co-op do GF breads and other bits as well AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

pampootie wrote: »
    is it that new place by the bishopstown bar you're thinking of? nellys pantry? havent been in there but i think i remember reading in one of those free papers that she has an interest in GF foods because she's intolerant herself. ABC in the english market and the quay co-op do GF breads and other bits as well AFAIK

Cheers :)

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Had my lunch in The Farm on Dawson St today! Had a lovely bowl of soup with bread and both were gluten free! They actually said on the menu that the soup of the day was always gluten free! Sometimes it feels like you aren't gauranteed gluten free all the time in some places, it may be the odd gluten free special every few days... this was a nice change though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Slaygal wrote: »
    Prego's in Ballyowen SC Lucan offer GF Free Pizzas and Pastas. I think I read somewhere that The Coeliac Society approves this restaurant. I'm open to correction.
    Mario's in Ranelagh ( now owned by the same people) are offering the same. :D Pizza is one of the foods I really missed.

Marios in Ranelagh is now owned by whom????

Advertisement