Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,096 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tim Tebow was making this same argument against ND, and in favour of Georgia et al. Says ND have only played one ranked team, Michigan, so therefore haven't proved they're good enough.

He didn't seem to notice that until this week Georgia had not played ANY ranked teams. But that didn't seem to matter. Nor does it matter that they actually lost when they did play one. Alabama have played one ranked team, as have Ohio State. So why is that a stick to beat ND with, but not the others?

Because "foooootttttbaaaaawwww"

Bama also had a nice week against the Ragin' Cajuns and have yet to play the mighty Citadel. Georgia also had to deal with a tough road assignment against Austin Peay and will no doubt be quaking in their boots at the impending visit of the UMASS Minutemen.

It's the same tired nonsense every year. ND know what the score is - win out and they're in, lose a game and it will be very difficult. They also seem intent on continuing to play a national Div 1 slate that will sometimes be brutal and - at best - be like this year: no gimmes with at least one excellent team to be faced.

I'd ignore it all, survive and advance. That's all that ever mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because "foooootttttbaaaaawwww"

Bama also had a nice week against the Ragin' Cajuns and have yet to play the mighty Citadel. Georgia also had to deal with a tough road assignment against Austin Peay and will no doubt be quaking in their boots at the impending visit of the UMASS Minutemen.

It's the same tired nonsense every year. ND know what the score is - win out and they're in, lose a game and it will be very difficult. They also seem intent on continuing to play a national Div 1 slate that will sometimes be brutal and - at best - be like this year: no gimmes with at least one excellent team to be faced.

I'd ignore it all, survive and advance. That's all that ever mattered.

Yeah I can understand that an SEC team with one loss should get in ahead of an ND team with one loss, and I know ND have made their bed as regards staying out of a conference and not having a championship game, but if ND are undefeated that should be it this year, I don't see anything on the SEC teams' schedules that indicates they shouldn't be.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    Lads - it'll be a travesty if ND sneak into the top 4 and keep a legitimate contender out due to their very easy schedule. In fairness to Notre Dame, they always schedule tough but this season its a terrible slate and they really are not impressing me. The Michigan game not withstanding its been pretty easy and they have struggled with some very poor teams.

The way things are shaping up we'll end up with a Big 10 winner, SEC winner, Notre Dame and Clemson.

Notre Dame and Clemson are average teams with soft schedules in my opinion.

Just wanted to come back on this because I didn't want to sound like I was going after you or anything about it. You're definitely right that ND have struggled in a few games where they should have been handy winners, and I don't think anyone here is claiming they are the best team in the country just now. But on the other hand they've been dominant against very strong teams like Michigan and Standford (the latter was a top ten team before that performance), so it's a little unfair I think to only hold ND accountable for the games they were a bit poorer in and not give credit where it's due. Very hard to stay at peak levels every week, so far they've peaked when they need to against big opponents. Going by their remaining schedule if they go undefeated I don't see how it would be any less deserved than OSU or, say, LSU going in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Top 4 vs Ranked teams

Alabama 1-0
    Ohio State 2-0
    Clemson 0-0
    Notre Dame 3-0

Ranked teams remaining on schedule:

Alabama 1
    Ohio State 2
    Clemson 1
    Notre Dame 0

NC State is the only ranked team on Clemsons schedule, but of course its a travesty if ND get in having beaten Stanford, Michigan and Vtech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

adrian522 wrote: »
    Top 4 vs Ranked teams

Alabama 1-0
    Ohio State 2-0
    Clemson 0-0
    Notre Dame 3-0

Ranked teams remaining on schedule:

Alabama 1
    Ohio State 2
    Clemson 1
    Notre Dame 0

NC State is the only ranked team on Clemsons schedule, but of course its a travesty if ND get in having beaten Stanford, Michigan and Vtech.

Texas beat USC,TCU and Oklahoma all ranked higher thus far
    Still to play West Virginia and potentially one of Oklahoma or WVU in a big 12 finale.
    We win out we should without doubt be in the playoffs
    But I guarantee even if we do that our opening day loss to Maryland will count against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

brinty wrote: »
    Texas beat USC,TCU and Oklahoma all ranked higher thus far
    Still to play West Virginia and potentially one of Oklahoma or WVU in a big 12 finale.
    We win out we should without doubt be in the playoffs
    But I guarantee even if we do that our opening day loss to Maryland will count against us.
    It's a tough spot for Texas but the top four have to win out or I think Texas get in.

If the Buckeyes win out they are in but if they lose to Michigan I'm not sure either of them get in because Notre Dame beat Michigan. Clemson have to beat NC State and it looks like they will win all their other games and they are in. Bama look unstoppable and Notre Dame must win out to stay in.

I've a feeling that Texas will make it if they win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

8 minutes gone in the Bama at Tennesse game. 21 v 0.
    And to to be truthful this could get even uglier for Tennesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

OldRio wrote: »
    8 minutes gone in the Bama at Tennesse game. 21 v 0.
    And to to be truthful this could get even uglier for Tennesse.

Not much on the box so I said I’d tune in to watch Alabama for the first time this year. Thought it would be close enough but it was game over after 5 minutes. Can’t see anyone beating Bama the way things stand.

Buckeyes in big trouble. They just can't stop the Boilermakers. They got a TD to cut it to 15 but Purdue went straight down the field and made it 22 again. 5.41 left in the 4th quarter as I type.

Back to 15 again now. Buckeyes need a quick stop though or it's over.

• Advertisement

Oh wow, Purdue respond again.22 point lead again with 3.37 left.

Pick six 49-20 Purdue, 2.08 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just switched on Clemson v Florida St.
    Not exactly thrilling.

Lawrence. 6ft.6inch QB. Freshman for Clemson. The boy may have a future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

He was the most hyped QB coming out of high school in decades.

Nebraska Cornhuskers lead Ohio State in a game of football for the first time since 1955.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Death Valley is pumped up. Two offensive false starts for Alabama on that first drive. GEAUX Tigers

LSU always seem to save their best for Alabama. They did very well to hold them to a field goal on the last drive but they are still down 9-0 and don't have an offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

eagle eye wrote: »
    LSU always seem to save their best for Alabama. They did very well to hold them to a field goal on the last drive but they are still down 9-0 and don't have an offense.

They're just getting nothing done on offense, we'll see how tuas knee is after his rush TD. But they have to wake up on offense.

• Advertisement

Irish beat Northwestern by 10. Very important result there rankings wise because they beat a top 10 ranked Wisconsin and a ranked Michigan State and only lost by 3 to Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That was definitely a big one for the Irish, it was a real potential banana skin. There was a good chance they'd be turned over there. They'll have the playoffs firmly in their sights now, although the FSU game would still worry me. Bad and all as the noles are this season, they'll rumble someone down the stretch.

Watched the Buckeyes take care of business against the Spartans earlier, tough close game for a long time before Ohio State got it together.
    I watched the Sooners get lucky and beat the Cowboys who went for two with 1 minute left in the fourth and list by 1. Great game.
    I'm watching the Irish now against the Seminoles, they've had a pick already and Wimbush just passed it to Boykin for the go ahead TD. Very nice pass from Wimbush who is my main concern tonight with Book out. He looked good on that first pass though.

Great start for the Irish off of fantastic defense which has accounted for two turnovers already. 17-0 with still 6 minutes left in the first.

42-13 final score, great win for the Irish and a good night for Wimbush. Two games on the road now, tough one next week against the high scoring Syracuse and then the Trojans at the Coliseum. If they win both they are in the playoffs.

Ohio State 14-3 down to Maryland already
    All not well at the shoe...

Notre Dame thump Syracuse, Alabama win big in the second half after going in at halftime level with The Citadel. Clemson win big too, Michigan win, Georgia win, Oklahoma win, LSU win, Washington State is 55-14 up at halftime over Arizona!
    West Virginia lose to the OK State Cowboys, Ohio State beat Maryland in overtime and UCF win 38-14 over Cincinnati.
    Might be a bit of a shake up with UCF possibly moving past both the Buckeyes and West Virginia.

West Virginia could slide a bit after that OSU loss.
    Texas holds it's in destiny in it's hands and could get into the big 12. Beating IOWA State in a 15 v 16th team ranking might push us inside the top 12

And Michigan fluffs their lines as usual
    Down 41-19 early in the 4th at the shoe

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    And Michigan fluffs their lines as usual
    Down 41-19 early in the 4th at the shoe
    Good, ****ing delighted, they can stop with the ****e talk about having them ranked ahead of a team that beat them now.

Advertisement