Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread without may contain sesame Ireland

• 02-11-2018 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi

Is there any mainstream breads in Ireland that do not contain sesame and also don't have the warning may contain sesame?

My son has an allergy to sesame and we will shortly be visiting Ireland so I wish to get a safe bread for him while we're there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The only products I have ever seen with sesame are the buns for Big Macs, McChicken and quarter-pounders in McDonalds (cross-contamination with other McDonalds products may exist, especially other burgers). Some other burger chains will have similar buns.

Bread in shops will normally have a full list of ingredients and allergens, although I have never seen sesame listed. For restaurants, talk to the manager or chef.

However, cross-contamination in the supply chain is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭username2013

Victor wrote: »
    The only products I have ever seen with sesame are the buns for Big Macs, McChicken and quarter-pounders in McDonalds (cross-contamination with other McDonalds products may exist, especially other burgers). Some other burger chains will have similar buns.

Bread in shops will normally have a full list of ingredients and allergens, although I have never seen sesame listed. For restaurants, talk to the manager or chef.

However, cross-contamination in the supply chain is a possibility.

Yeah, it's the cross-contamination that you have to worry about. Here in Canada there is a list of the top 100 allergies. If your product contains OR may contain trace amounts of these products, then you must list that on the labelling. There is the top 14 in Ireland (https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_allergy_alert_notification.html) but I'm not sure what the protocol is regarding "may contain" in Ireland the the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the traditional irish bread is soda bread so sesame wouldn’t be a normal ingredient of that type of bead. Given the couple of cases in the UK where people died because of eating pre made sandwiches I’d play it safe and tell him not to eat any sandwiches made in a coffee shop type establishment, sesame seeds can end up in all kinds of spreads and similar too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the traditional irish bread is soda bread so sesame wouldn’t be a normal ingredient of that type of bead. Given the couple of cases in the UK where people died because of eating pre made sandwiches I’d play it safe and tell him not to eat any sandwiches made in a coffee shop type establishment, sesame seeds can end up in all kinds of spreads and similar too.

Yeah, pre-made is out for any family with an allergy kid! :-) Just wanted to make sure that the bread we buy is safe too. I contacted Brennans and they were incredibly helpful and supplied the following information.

"The following products do not contain sesame seed and there is no risk of cross contamination as no sesame seed used on the lines:

Family Pan & Half Pan

Wholemeal pan with Vitamin D 800g & 400g

Wholegrain 800g & 400g (With and without Vitamin D)

Good For All (Thick & Medium Sliced)

Be Good Wholemeal 600g

Be Good White 600g

Be Good Wholegrain 600g

Brown & White in one Bite (800g & 400g)

Wholegrain Chia 800g & 400g

Quinoa 800g

Multiseed 400g

Batch Loaf 800g & 6 Slice pack

Hi Fibre Batch."

Posting here as this may be of interest to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco are good for listing allergens in their products. But I would double check the packet.

If I had any sort of life threatening allergen I would be tasting a small sample and leave the rest for later.

Your list matches tesco.
    A white brennans bread weight watcher bread does have it listed
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250840193
    Allergy Information
    May contain traces of Sesame Seeds
    Sesame
    Soya
    Wheat

while a batch (on your list) does not
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250840008
    Allergy Information

Soya
    Wheat.

The problem with lists is they can change at any time, so you always have to check the pack.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco are good for listing allergens in their products. But I would double check the packet.

If I had any sort of life threatening allergen I would be tasting a small sample and leave the rest for later.

Your list matches tesco.
    A white brennans bread weight watcher bread does have it listed
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250840193
    Allergy Information
    May contain traces of Sesame Seeds
    Sesame
    Soya
    Wheat

while a batch (on your list) does not
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250840008
    Allergy Information

Soya
    Wheat.

The problem with lists is they can change at any time, so you always have to check the pack.

Thanks rubadub. I found Brennan's to be fantastic for providing allergy information. The person I dealt with even followed up with some of their providers to confirm what they used in their emulsifiers. Really nice for a company to go that extra yard for ya and not have to pull information from them.

Advertisement