Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you install BBC iPlayer on the Apple TV 4K?

• 16-01-2021 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I'm curious to know if there's a way to install UK streaming apps on the Apple TV in Ireland, such as signing in with a UK account to get them and then back to your Irish account? I know you could a few years ago but I'm not sure has that changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I think it still works. I have apps from the Irish, UK and US App Store on my Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I think it still works. I have apps from the Irish, UK and US App Store on my Apple TV.

That's yearly gray to hear. I didn't want to spend money on it if I couldn't get some of the apps I wanted as Ireland has pretty limited apps that doesn't make it worth it.

Is yours an Apple TV 4K box?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I have the Apple TV HD which is the same but is HD only. It's the same software and App Store on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

The answer is yes. I have apps from all over the world as I have set up accounts from all over the world and swap in and out of accounts when they need updating. Of course you'll need a DNS service or VPN to make it work. America has some pretty decent FTW services like Crackle, The CW and Peacock. iPlayer is accessed daily in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

That's really great to know, thanks guys! I haven't seen much about it in a few years so wasn't sure what the story was with it. I've been in Android TV for a few years and you're able to sideload to that but I wasn't sure if the locked down Apple TV made that impossible. I was hoping to get apps like Hulu, All4, etc. that I can't get on my LG CX OLED and All4 isn't available on Android TV so I was thinking of trying something new for a change at I'm really falling in love with the Apple TV subscription service on my TV so felt the Apple TV made sense. I'm using VPN to get the BBC iPlayer on the TV so it shouldn't be much of an issue on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

loughrey wrote: »
    That's really great to know, thanks guys! I haven't seen much about it in a few years so wasn't sure what the story was with it. I've been in Android TV for a few years and you're able to sideload to that but I wasn't sure if the locked down Apple TV made that impossible. I was hoping to get apps like Hulu, All4, etc. that I can't get on my LG CX OLED and All4 isn't available on Android TV so I was thinking of trying something new for a change at I'm really falling in love with the Apple TV subscription service on my TV so felt the Apple TV made sense. I'm using VPN to get the BBC iPlayer on the TV so it shouldn't be much of an issue on that front.

Everything works as listed and it's almost counter intuitive that the Apple TV is perhaps the most flexible media streamer on the market. It's a bit of a pain setting up different iTunes accounts and something like Revolut and a US Paypal account essential for services like Hulu.

Advertisement