Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swapping separates for Naim Muso (Gen 2)

Options
  • 27-11-2020 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

Current set up is a Rotel-06 Amp, Rotel RCD-06 and a set of system audio SA-1550 speakers. Also running vinyl, a tuner and nakamichi cassette deck through it. I'm very happy with the set up. Listening would be all music types primarily on CD, but latterly started listening to a lot of Spotify and latterly Tidal. I'm very impressed with Tidal and it's lossless format.

I'm thinking of swapping the whole lot of for a Naim Muso - can still run the CD into it and (i think) the vinyl. Tuner will be built into the muso.

Primarily a space saving exercise. The Muso (Gen 1) I was very impressed with and the Gen 2 seem to be even better with more connectivity / options. Sound quality seems to have improved greatly as well ,although hard to see how the Gen1 could have been improved further sound wise.

Any thoughts? I originally looked at scaling everything down into a single AV amp (I have an old sony all-in one home system that I'm happy with but could do with updating). Using smaller speakers and doing a hi-fi / AV all in one solution. The Muso seems to tick a lot of boxes in terms of one box that does an awful lot - aware it's not surround sound capable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The only issue I would see here is the lack of true stereo imaging and soundstage. If space is a concern, you might consider active speakers instead, such as the KEF LS50 wireless, or LSX.

I'm running the LSX with a Kube subwoofer and the sound from tidal is excellent. A better option than the muso, IMHO.

Apparently, the new LS50 wireless are great, and there is the Buchardt A500..which also get rave reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Thanks some of the reviews of the kef are pretty good and reckoned it pips the muso on soundstage. Think the Listening to music from tidal most of the day - modern, classic and all sorts of other stuff. The soundstage and imaging from my current set is something I'd miss with a single box. I'm going to audition the kef and muso systems to see what is best. Some of the kef systems seem to offer more options for booking up legacy kit - cd players etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

They do. The LSX are plenty for relatively small rooms - no need for a sub but it does give the sound more space. Think the minimum size of the room for LS50w is about 15m2 upwards.

Both are very loud. The LS50w sounds a bit better at lower volumes. The muso could be a better choice in a more confined area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hudo

This is going from a standard stereo system to mono!? One of the best thing in hifi is recreation of sound stage, imaging, placement of each instrument, stage width and depth ... Are you really willing to give up of that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

hudo wrote: »
    This is going from a standard stereo system to mono!? One of the best thing in hifi is recreation of sound stage, imaging, placement of each instrument, stage width and depth ... Are you really willing to give up of that!?

Yeah I hear you. herself putting me under pressure. two floor standing speakers and a separate surround system (albeit small cubes) is doing her head in, so looking to slim down. Agree though - stereo separation impossible from any all in one unit regardless of price or quality. Spent the day listening to tidal - everything from prefab sprout, fleetwood mac, enya, dua lipa, Jacqueline du pre. Can't be beaten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement