Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorised blinds availability to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gfaces

I bought from the usmartlife store, and very happy, a few issues over delivery times, but that's what happens with Ali express. Funnily enough, the last shipment I got came from China via Singapore and was faster than from Belgium (I ordered from Belgium but he couldn't ship from there due to covid and brexit, so offered to ship from China and pay the duties)

Yes I ordered a roller motor from them via belgium but he couldnt ship and offered to send via china. I instead got a refund and had no bother with them. Seem like a decent setup alright.

My bay windows have a 120 degree turn so the 135 degree insert is slightly off. I added a jpg on last post so you can visually see. Slightly bending the straight square aluminium tubing would result in a slightly great bend when using the 135 degree inserts. I probably need to wall mount rather then ceiling so just trying to work out if I can get the product to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I've wall mounted all mine so far, but the bay window will be ceiling mounted.

Are you planning on doing it on any other curtains ?

What you could do is order for another set of curtains a slightly longer length with an extra 1m section and see if you can bend it ?

I have a spare section I am sure, you are welcome to it, but I am in East Cork

Yes thats a good idea. To be fair ordering an extra couple of metres is pretty cheap. I think I will do this and see if a section will take a slight bend.

I reckon you might still need the articulated trolley for a smoother run. Interested to see how you get on, keep us up to date.

I reckon you might still need the articulated trolley for a smoother run. Interested to see how you get on, keep us up to date.

Looking at the zenismart system but also looking at aqara b1 curtain track.

The aqara b1 has a rechargeable lithium battery and is zigbee. Handy if you dont want to run power to the curtain.

Out of interest does the track you have look like this track from youtube?

• Advertisement

gfaces wrote: »
    Looking at the zenismart system but also looking at aqara b1 curtain track.

The aqara b1 has a rechargeable lithium battery and is zigbee. Handy if you dont want to run power to the curtain.

Out of interest does the track you have look like this track from youtube?

That's plastic tracking, so no, the zemismart track is aluminium, you won't bend it like they didn in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

So I’ve resigned myself that native HomeKit curtains or blinds just aren’t a thing yet sadly.

I would like to add a few smart roller or roman blinds and also 2 sets of curtains to n shaped (not sure of the terminology for 2 right angles three straight sections. Is aqara or similar the best call and have you guys been able to add to hue or HomeKit?

I was looking at some of the links earlier - how to you order the track is it a case of a “custom” order?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    So I’ve resigned myself that native HomeKit curtains or blinds just aren’t a thing yet sadly.

I would like to add a few smart roller or roman blinds and also 2 sets of curtains to n shaped (not sure of the terminology for 2 right angles three straight sections. Is aqara or similar the best call and have you guys been able to add to hue or HomeKit?

I'm not familiar with homekit, but surely if you connect stuff through home assistant, that gives you your connectivity?

Our house is a google house, but I've integrated absolutely everything to home assistant, so my velbus, hue, smart things,smartlife and a few other random vendors all link in to home assistant, so everything is in one app, and that is what links to Google (and I assume home kit also) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Paul Hibbert released a review on a curtain closer today.

Figured, that fits in here nicely.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Saw those or similar before, and was a bit reluctant, they didn't look overall stable, but based in his review they definitely look like something worth trying.

Couple of things, and he did mention this in the end iof the review 85stg per motor, so 170stg for a curtain pair.

He mentioned that traditional smart curtain rails.were difficult to wire as a comparison, which isn't quite accurate, most.of the competing smart rail products come with voice control out of the box, and van also have the option of a wall switch (wired or wireless battery operated), so the smart rail products are better in that regard.

A permanent power supply would always be my preference, and not that hard to hide behind a set of curtains.

That being said, and forgiving my obvious bias towards the smart rail type solutions for curtains, this def has its place. Ease of install (rental apartments etx), no need for power (in places where it is awkward), and I believe these are compatible with those hoop type curtain rails which is a serious bonus. My daughter refused to get smart curtains in cos she didn't want a permit, so something like this would work.

In the battery thing, there does seek to have to he some limit to how many battery operated devices a house can cope with, not just talking about curtains here, but I'd have 13 sets of curtains to look after alone.

Might look at one (well 2 actually) of these for.my daughters room

• Advertisement

In the battery thing, there does seek to have to he some limit to how many battery operated devices a house can cope with, not just talking about curtains here, but I'd have 13 sets of curtains to look after alone.

I totally agree on the battery thing. I've been very conscious about what we have that needs batteries and how long they last.

Zigbee and DECT/ULE are very low consumers and you'd replace the batteries maybe once a year.

Wifi smart home devices are the total killer for batteries.

So it's always important to look at that, when buying devices. And a hard wired solution is always to be preferred. I've just replaced the batteries in all of my 40 TRVs, so I've got peace for another year. And all my remote light switches seem to last longer than a year. I think I've one that needs replacement .. lasted like 15 months.

The solar panel on those curtain movers are a brilliant idea.

/M

That's plastic tracking, so no, the zemismart track is aluminium, you won't bend it like they didn in that video.

I think its what they quote as S shaped aluminium where the track is madeof 3 pieces. for example https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-heavy-duty-easy-install-Aluminum_1600051301834.html?bypass=true .

I totally agree on the battery thing. I've been very conscious about what we have that needs batteries and how long they last.

Zigbee and DECT/ULE are very low consumers and you'd replace the batteries maybe once a year.

Wifi smart home devices are the total killer for batteries.

So it's always important to look at that, when buying devices. And a hard wired solution is always to be preferred. I've just replaced the batteries in all of my 40 TRVs, so I've got peace for another year. And all my remote light switches seem to last longer than a year. I think I've one that needs replacement .. lasted like 15 months.

The solar panel on those curtain movers are a brilliant idea.

/M

Yeah, I'd be fairly tempted to try one out with the solar panel. When we started replacing our curtains for automated ones, budget wise what isn't often seen is the cost of replacing the curtains themselves if you are replacing one of those hoop curtain rails for a track rail, which makes above option swing back from.a cost perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know what options (e.g Driver, Remote 1, Remote 6) correspond to on this? Answers seem a bit sketchy.

Zemismart Tuya WiFi Blind Driver with Battery Roller Shade Roman Blind Motor Alexa Google Assistant Voice Control RF
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNAgKQJ

Seems to indicate Remote 6 will allow you to control up to 6 blinds? Whereas Remote 1 obviously just the one. I'll be using mainly with Smart Assistants so wondering am I better buying just Driver option?

Getting 6 blinds installed in the next few weeks.. so will order 1 to see what it's like.

Asked company i ordered blinds from about option for motor:
    - €150 per blind with remote
    - another €150 for a smart hub to use with smart assistants.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Wexfordman - i remember you have the zemismart blind. i got one today for my roller blind. but the blind string beads dont fit into any of the 4 rotatory thing they have given. any suggestions?

Wexfordman - i remember you have the zemismart blind. i got one today for my roller blind. but the blind string beads dont fit into any of the 4 rotatory thing they have given. any suggestions?

Sorry, its the curtains I have, not the blinds.

Is it tht tubular motor insert you got ?

Remove the beads, or put the motor on the opposite end?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No such problems with my two blinds. You could change the cords pretty easily. Also make sure there's enough tension in the cord, to avoid slipping.

I did buy a a 3rd Zenismart motor from AliExpress, this time mains-powered, with built-in wifi and it doesn't work at all. The daughter board (that presumably manages the wifi connectivity) was loose and rattling in the case. I took it apart and re-seated it, but nope - dead. Have opened a dispute with AliExpress, but I'm not very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

Check this video out for another approach, and one that does not require any additional wiring or require a nearby power source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8-4xLqwKw

davidod1 wrote: »
    Check this video out for another approach, and one that does not require any additional wiring or require a nearby power source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N8-4xLqwKw

You mean the video, I posted 9 posts and one and a half week ago ? Just saying !

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

You mean the video, I posted 9 posts and one and a half week ago ? Just saying !

/M

Looked to make sure I wasn't repeating someone else's advice but just missed your post. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Has anyone managed to use motorised blinds with temperature control say with an Alexa Echo (which has a temperature sensor in it)?

I work from home these days and the room is southwest facing and basically becomes a furnace on sunny days from the end of April until September. I'd love to get motorised blackout blinds that would automatically come down if the room temperature got above say 21C for example. I'd also like to have the usual scenes where it opens and closes at particular times. Not really bothered if its battery or mains. The window recess measures 166 x 135cm so the Ikea ones are too short in length unfortunately.

Has anyone come accross a soluton that could do that?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm using Home Assistant and it would be a doddle with that. Do you have a temperature sensor other than Alexa in the room, and do you have any other IOT controllers?

I dont even have the an Echo yet, well i do but its first gen and doesnt have a temperature sensor, the newer 4th gen one is £59.95 on Amazon currently and looks ike it should be able to do the job if it can talk to the blinds (https://www.lifewire.com/using-the-temperature-sensor-in-amazon-echo-5120434).

I have a Philips Hue hub which I dont use any more as the smart lights didnt really work out with smalls kids messing with switches etc.

I have a Nest thermostat but its in the living room which is NE facing so its temperature isnt really indicative of the one in the home office at all.

I see Amazon has a Smart Air Quality monitor too which says it can be used in routines , its the same price however as the 4th Gen Echo which would be an upgrade over my current one (which could be moved to another room) so thats more appealing to me currently.

I'm completely open to suggestions, just researching now before i take the plunge, preferably before i die of the heat again this summer!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭10-10-20

IFTTT (free plan) should be an option then too, it supports the Echo.

Blocblind "Blocout XL" looks just the job, I like the idea of rails on either side of the blinds to completely blackout. Saw a video on youtube for setting up a routine with the temperature sensor in the Echo so that looks like a runner.

Cost is ~ €405 for the BlocOut XL blinds + €150 for the "smart kit" + €60 for echo = ~ €610

Blinds will be ~ 166 x 135cm roughly measured, does that seem reasonable for what i'm getting?

Have ordered some sample fabrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I do this now with Home Assistant!

I'm 4 blinds in the back of the house that try to at least keep manners on the heat coming in from sun. They drop to half height if thermostat hits 21 degrees and all the way down at 23.

Have window sensors integrated too so that if I open a window or door and temp drops the heating doesn't try to kick in.

Took some tweaking to get temp setting right.

The blinds at the back are Somfy RTS motors (motor slides in to the tube).

I've Aqara D1's controlling other blinds with string pulls which work excellently but for aesthetics the additional cost of the Somfy gives a cleaner look so was worth it for that area.

That sounds absolutely brilliant and exactly what I want!

Did you retrofit the Somfy RTS motors into your blinds or did you order as a kit? If you retro fitted them, how did you know they would work on your blinds, and if you bought with the blinds, where did you buy them from ? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

The blind company fitted them as part of the blinds purchase but I was talking to the fitter and he said if I wanted more probably cheaper to self install.

The motors and blinds arrived separately so it was simply a case of sliding the motors in.

I know all mine are 28mm rollers in that area as they were all part of one order (there's a few others I'm considering automating....)

The ones in other areas in made sense to have the chain motors like the Aqara D1's as they were bedroom windows and the aesthetic wasn't as concerning as a large multi pane window with chains for multiple blinds hanging down. Gives button based or voice control in the room too.

While I love the Somfy ones I more so love the elimination of the chain. The use a proprietary RF signal so to integrate them I had to use an RFXTRX (which can impersonate a Somfy remote) plugged in to the HA unit and pair them to that as well as their own remote.

I'm on the lookout for zigbee equivalents for the others in the area I'm considering automating. The size is just a careful measure of the inner diameter of your roller and then hunting online.

The automation via HA and voice control means I couldn't actually tell you where the Somfy remote is. I've a zigbee scene controller that I can manually override their position if I want (button press -> home assistant -> command to blind roller)

Critical components:

Pi4 running HA

Conbee II - Zigbee Controller for controller the Aqara D1's and about 100 other zigbee devices include smart switches etc.

RFXTRX - for controlling the Somfy rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 endriuuu087

Hi all !

if anyone is still looking for motorised blinds, I've left the contact details of the company that did it for my old blinds maybe will help to someone. I can use Google voice commands now. amazing work and make it so easy :)

Ad Solutions Blinds co. meath and area

• Advertisement
Advertisement