Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes, aren't most PoE devices voltage adapting?

Nope, there's adaptive and passive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Nope, there's adaptive and passive

Do you know if the unifi hardware uses some unusual system that would not work with most PoE switchs from other brands?

Do you know if the unifi hardware uses some unusual system that would not work with most PoE switchs from other brands?

I posted the link a few days ago. Their legacy devices were mostly 24v passive but their newer ones are all 802.3af or 802.3at Poe compliant except for the budget models. Look at the specs for what you are intending to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

On the pricey end, but the AVM Fritz!Box routers have a real good mesh system. You can mesh on ethernet cable or on wireless or a mix of both. And you can even use phone across the mesh.

My place is a disaster for thick walls as it's very old, so I went with cabled mesh:

49523242597_393e893dd9_b.jpg

Here is an early overview. I'm actually at 14 routers now. But it's a big place and a lot of thick walls. The result though: seemless coverage. Their stuff also does a fair bit of smart home. Specifically heating.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    On the pricey end, but the AVM Fritz!Box routers have a real good mesh system. You can mesh on ethernet cable or on wireless or a mix of both. And you can even use phone across the mesh.

My place is a disaster for thick walls as it's very old, so I went with cabled mesh:

49523242597_393e893dd9_b.jpg

Here is an early overview. I'm actually at 14 routers now. But it's a big place and a lot of thick walls. The result though: seemless coverage. Their stuff also does a fair bit of smart home. Specifically heating.

/M

You living in a castle there lord Marlow ^_^

• Advertisement

You living in a castle there lord Marlow ^_^

You are not far of the reality. I'm living in an old church, that has been converted to a very high standard about 15-20 years ago.

/M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »
    The important devices in my house (iMac, TV streaming devices, Smart TVs, AV amp) all have hardwired Ethernet connections. These will be mainly for IoT devices, smart phones, school iPads and a child's Xbox.

This is key IMO and worth repeating. If you can use ethernet for fixed devices. It not only gives greater reliability to the fixed devices, but it also takes the strain off the wifi and leaves more bandwidth for mobile and non wired devices.

BTW Will you be connecting all the Google Wifi devices using ethernet too?

That is the ideal and the Google Wifi devices actually perform very well when using ethernet backhaul. The fact that they are dual band only, isn't a big deal then, it is only when using wifi backhaul that they suffer versus tri-band systems.

Though you are paying a premium then compared to other dual band systems. But if it works for you and you are happy with it, then nothing wrong with that.
    I like the idea of being able to set up schedules for certain devices so that the kid's are not playing Xbox or streaming Netflix at 3am. This is more important to me than loosing a bit of broadband speed.

Well most Mesh wifi systems give you parental controls from an app now. In fairness to Google, they were one of the first to do this well, but pretty much everyone else has copied them now.

Of course any system you are considering, you should look up reviews and videos of the parental controls to see if they give you what you want.
    I know, I have been using the same Apple airport devices for Over 10 years.

Ah, I used those myself for years. Such nice devices and well ahead of their time. Such a pity Apple stopped making their own wifi routers. I'd buy a new Apple Wifi router or mesh system in a heart beat if this released one.

bk wrote: »
    This is key IMO and worth repeating. If you can use ethernet for fixed devices. It not only gives greater reliability to the fixed devices, but it also takes the strain off the wifi and leaves more bandwidth for mobile and non wired devices.

Fact. I bought a Chromecast Ultra at some point, which is ethernet wired in my case. The performance difference is like night and day. Best thing I've done. Probably replacing the other Chromecast modules with Ultra ones also eventually.

/M

Fact. I bought a Chromecast Ultra at some point, which is ethernet wired in my case. The performance difference is like night and day. Best thing I've done. Probably replacing the other Chromecast modules with Ultra ones also eventually.

/M

Off topic
    Upgrading Chromecast with Chromecast is pointless these days, just buy an Android TV device like a Mibox S or Nvidia Shield as it comes with all the goodies of Android TV and also Google Cast and Assistant built in and you'll get a remote

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »

The house was prewired in CAT5E, so I just punched down RJ45's where it made sense. I know the cable is a bit dated, but it was there and I wasn't going to tear the house apart to upgrade.

The Wifi router, yes the 2nd Wifi point, no. I know it would be better if I did but as the devices that require most Wifi bandwidth are closest to the router (which is Ethernet connected) this is not a concern.
    That is the ideal and the Google Wifi devices actually perform very well when using ethernet backhaul.

Good point, perhaps I should have gone for 2 WiFi routers instead as only these can connect to Ethernet.
    Though you are paying a premium then compared to other dual band systems. But if it works for you and you are happy with it, then nothing wrong with that.

Yes I understand that I am paying a bit more but I don't think I am paying a lot more (I am open to correction) from what I have seen posted so far when you consider that I only need 2.
    A nice little extra is that the WiFi point also has built in Google Assistant.

Well most Mesh wifi systems give you parental controls from an app now. In fairness to Google, they were one of the first to do this well, but pretty much everyone else has copied them now.

I'm prepared to pay extra to have the ability to block individual devices and set up schedules for these devices with such a user friendly interface. They also have a number of other nice features available through the app.
    Of course any system you are considering, you should look up reviews and videos of the parental controls to see if they give you what you want.

Done, positive review.
    However I expect a more honest / independent review here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The tp-link deco p9 kit is my current favourite, have been using them in large Georgian houses where usually everything is a nightmare, each unit has an ethernet port, power line backhaul without additional adapters and wireless backhaul , you can get a kit of 3 AP's on amazon for under 200, plug in some to wired where you can and let the rest work themselves out. the app is pretty handy and I managed to cover every square foot of a Georgian 4 storey with 6 ap's , can even get 100mbit down (240mb VM connection) from the front garden.

Off topic
    Upgrading Chromecast with Chromecast is pointless these days, just buy an Android TV device like a Mibox S or Nvidia Shield as it comes with all the goodies of Android TV and also Google Cast and Assistant built in and you'll get a remote

Errh ... no. And I have both a Samsung Blu Ray player with their Smart implementation (that was my fix to get Smart, when the TV just missed to get it) and the Chromecast module.

The Chromecast does one job, the smart tv function another. And trust me, you do not want to explain to the other half, why certain casting stuff doesn't work on the crud, that's normally implemented on these smart tv or android boxes.

Chromecast works every time for casting. I've tried most of the other ones and they're very hit and miss.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Off topic

Im moving everything off my mibox and android boxes and migrating to Firesticks. After years of buying multiple different types and trying them out I find the firestick the best

Errh ... no. And I have both a Samsung Blu Ray player with their Smart implementation (that was my fix to get Smart, when the TV just missed to get it) and the Chromecast module.

The Chromecast does one job, the smart tv function another. And trust me, you do not want to explain to the other half, why certain casting stuff doesn't work on the crud, that's normally implemented on these smart tv or android boxes.

Chromecast works every time for casting. I've tried most of the other ones and they're very hit and miss.

/M

You've not tried a Shield, that's the opposite of crud!!!

Casting on Android TV like a Shield is miles better than on a Chromecast device, has better hardware and supports more video and audio codecs. I know this as i run an Emby server for 15 users where Chromecast devices are complete pain constantly force a transcode but casting the same files to Google cast on Shields and Miboxes direct plays.
    We use the Shield for everything and don't bother with the smart TV functions on our 8 series Samsung TV

The tp-link deco p9 kit is my current favourite, have been using them in large Georgian houses where usually everything is a nightmare, each unit has an ethernet port, power line backhaul without additional adapters and wireless backhaul , you can get a kit of 3 AP's on amazon for under 200, plug in some to wired where you can and let the rest work themselves out. the app is pretty handy and I managed to cover every square foot of a Georgian 4 storey with 6 ap's , can even get 100mbit down (240mb VM connection) from the front garden.

Have you mixed and matched the deco or all P9? I was thinking of putting the M3W and E3 into the rooms at end of house just to boost up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Would you recommend it over an m9 kit for a concrete built 2700sq ft house where ethernet backhaul will be available for all 3 nodes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just to give some feedback on the Tenda Nova MW-6 that I set up a few days ago. I got 3 units and set them up around the house. I’m with Eir and has been using their f2000 router with an extender upstairs.

World of difference. Getting better speeds with the Tenda than I was with the Eir router.

Handover between units is flawless.

It is dual band but it’s meeting my needs.

I’ve a number of amazon devices, Sonos speakers and phones/laptops connecting. I’d be a heavy home user of internet.

Not for everyone but if anyone looking for an acceptable solution for a cheaper price worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

faceman wrote: »
    Just to give some feedback on the Tenda Nova MW-6 that I set up a few days ago. I got 3 units and set them up around the house. I’m with Eir and has been using their f2000 router with an extender upstairs.

World of difference. Getting better speeds with the Tenda than I was with the Eir router.

Handover between units is flawless.

It is dual band but it’s meeting my needs.

I’ve a number of amazon devices, Sonos speakers and phones/laptops connecting. I’d be a heavy home user of internet.

Not for everyone but if anyone looking for an acceptable solution for a cheaper price worth considering.

Did you plug one of the nodes into the router ya? And are you using wireless backhaul or ethernet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you plug one of the nodes into the router ya? And are you using wireless backhaul or ethernet?

Yeah Ethernet between router and primary node

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have you mixed and matched the deco or all P9? I was thinking of putting the M3W and E3 into the rooms at end of house just to boost up

Ive used a mix of P9 and M4w’s (basically the p9 with no powerline) and they work well together. I think any of the deco series are inter operable

• Advertisement

Would you recommend it over an m9 kit for a concrete built 2700sq ft house where ethernet backhaul will be available for all 3 nodes?

If ethernet is available then the M kits are absolutely fine, you wouldnt see the advantage of the powerline so why pay for it

Ive used a mix of P9 and M4w’s (basically the p9 with no powerline) and they work well together. I think any of the deco series are inter operable

So I have bought the 3 unit P9....this will use powerline(I hope) in the central hub in the house. Then in the rooms which are lacking in coverage from the central hub I will just use the M3W or the E3 units which will just boost the Mesh wifi signal......

So I have bought the 3 unit P9....this will use powerline(I hope) in the central hub in the house. Then in the rooms which are lacking in coverage from the central hub I will just use the M3W or the E3 units which will just boost the Mesh wifi signal......

Thats exactly what I did for one install and it works perfectly.

Thats exactly what I did for one install and it works perfectly.

Thanks.....the P9 are like Gold dust at the moment, I was lucky to get a set on Amazon,.....

Thanks.....the P9 are like Gold dust at the moment, I was lucky to get a set on Amazon,.....

Its easy to see why though, most mesh systems are twice the price and very few have powerline, its the only one I know of that just about anybody whos not even technical could set up in 30 mins and have their entire house saturated with wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Just a quick question for those that have done something similar.

I've got the Virgin Hub 3.0 with a Nest coming today.

The Hub can be put into Modem mode once Virgin change it from IPV6 to IPV4.

Is it worthwhile doing this or will just switching off WiFi on the hub do the same?

Is there anything else I'd need to do to to make sure it's a seamless setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've just started investigating mesh systems at the moment.

New build 3 bed house. Virgin router is in the "box bedroom" at the back of the house. I have a lot of devices (Hue bulbs, Google Home etc as well as the usual TVs/phones/tablets/laptops).

Currently I have one extender which I'm moving between the hall and the kitchen to see where helps. I also installed a powerline adapter to the sitting room TV. The sitting room and the dining room (front, and very back of the house, respectively) are worst for signal, as signal drops almost as soon as you step out the back door. It's possibly due to particularly high levels of insulation?

From reading through this thread, it looks like P9 are the best value, however they look quite bulky. The M9 are a lot neater looking, do have triband, but no powerline.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have of one over the other.

For the M9, weirdly, the 3 pack "doesn't deliver to Ireland" (but I've got AddressPal), whereas the 2 pack is a lot cheaper, and does deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Hi folks,
    Much like a number of folks on this thread, I also am struggling with wifi range extenders at the moment and have been thinking of changing to a mesh system for a few weeks (largish house with a lot of stone walls and concrete floors).

While the comparison of different models has been discussed in length already, my question relates to my garden.
    Is there a system that's compatible with an externally mounted device? I'd like to be able to extend the network as far in to the garden as possible.

So ultimately, I'd like to replace my crappy range extenders with a mesh system with an added outdoor node, if such a thing exists.

Any advice?

Its easy to see why though, most mesh systems are twice the price and very few have powerline, its the only one I know of that just about anybody whos not even technical could set up in 30 mins and have their entire house saturated with wifi.

The Huawei is an interesting option, it seems very fast but even when I contacted Huawei direct they struggled to tell me if I could buy the satellite as a standalone so I wasn't sure....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Gigabit-Seamless-Roaming-Everywhere/dp/B07ZTPZCBT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=huawei+q2&qid=1588844468&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

Lurching wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Much like a number of folks on this thread, I also am struggling with wifi range extenders at the moment and have been thinking of changing to a mesh system for a few weeks (largish house with a lot of stone walls and concrete floors).

While the comparison of different models has been discussed in length already, my question relates to my garden.
    Is there a system that's compatible with an externally mounted device? I'd like to be able to extend the network as far in to the garden as possible.

So ultimately, I'd like to replace my crappy range extenders with a mesh system with an added outdoor node, if such a thing exists.

Any advice?

Netgear orbi do an external device]
    https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx

Question is how big is your garden?

Have you a shed with an electric connection into the house? plug

Advertisement