Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JPEG screenshot, instead of PNG

Options
  • 27-03-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a second-hand computer from a tech repair shop ages and was given option to have Linux installed, and was advised Mint Tara 19. Slightly above zero knowledge of Linux;have played around a tad, but definitely no techie. Anyway, taking screenshot with the default "Take Screenshot" (I downloaded Shutter, and it looks similar) gets a PNG file, but posting it on Boards here adds a link for the image; almost everyone presses it, and all it does is show the image on a page! I've looked around but can't find a program that takes screenshot images in JPEG, which doesn't add the link (or option for JPEG). Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Thanks Bedlam; that works to get a JPEG- but I think I've just discovered I'm more of a techno-dope than I thought I was. If I try and attach it in Manage Attachments, the JPEG shows up, but this also has the link to press as well:

507266.jpg

When I see other pictures posted (assuming they are JPEG) there is just the picture- no extra link, as in above (and below).

I think I may just be over-complicating attaching the image:
    Manage Attachments,
    Choose File,
    Upload File,
    Copy link,
    Click image link (mountain icon)
    Paste link into dialog box (as url)

Where am I going wrong? (I realise this is no longer a Linux question, just a simple technical question from a techno-simpleton).

Figured out how to do it last night: I saw somewhere on here about using Imgur website, so played around with that, and hey presto;

yz639vv.jpg

No longer any 'Attached images' link, which was the annoying thing I wanted to get rid of.

This morning found a post here that shows how to do it:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88125514&postcount=5

Basically, (as far as I can see) just find a website other than boards.ie that hosts uploading and sharing, find link for image, and paste into image icon.
    For instance a net search for "website host uploading sharing", the first hit was postimages.org. It shows 'link', and 'direct link' after putting image in, and uploading; link didn't work, but direct link did:

Selection-002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A lot of threads become worthless because externally hosted images are no longer available. Sometimes threads less than a year old. Attaching images (i.e. hosting them on boards itself) avoids this problem.

Life ain't always empty.

A lot of threads become worthless because externally hosted images are no longer available. Sometimes threads less than a year old. Attaching images (i.e. hosting them on boards itself) avoids this problem.
    Yeah I saw while exploring that on some sites they have options for length of time before deleting image.
    So how can you add images through boards without having annoying 'Attached Images' at bottom of posted image? Or can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I suppose you could start a thread in the Test forum, put a post in the thread anytime you want to upload an image, and copy the link from there. I think you're drastically overstating the annoyance of the extra link though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    I suppose you could start a thread in the Test forum, put a post in the thread anytime you want to upload an image, and copy the link from there.
    Thanks 2... Sounds a bit drastic. :pac:. So I take it people posting the images without the 'Attached Images' are using the 'off-boards' method (where they might be auto-deleted some time in the future)?
    28064212 wrote: »
    I think you're drastically overstating the annoyance of the extra link though.
    I think your drastically overstating my annoyance of the extra link. :D
    Just like a dog with a bone is all.

Deleted is one thing, but some image hosting sites (and URL shorteners) re-use links eventually, so your image could be replaced by something else decidedly NSFW :)

Life ain't always empty.

Deleted is one thing, but some image hosting sites (and URL shorteners) re-use links eventually, so your image could be replaced by something else decidedly NSFW :)
    Another reason not it use it; the vast vast majority of added images are without the 'Added Images' link though.
    The question hasn't been answered by anyone yet then: is there a way of using Boards to add images, instead of off-Boards hosting websites, that doesn't add the 'Added Images' when an image is added to the post? Not a biggy- just curious.

No, although as has been mentioned already, once the file has been attached to a post anywhere on boards, any other post anywhere else on boards can embed that image without a visible link.

Life ain't always empty.

No, although as has been mentioned already, once the file has been attached to a post anywhere on boards, any other post anywhere else on boards can embed that image without a visible link.
    Fair enough then. Thanks for that HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

dont know what desktop youre running on mint but on xfce the default screenshot program defaults to png. however when you go to save the file just rename the screenshots name to .jpg and it should save as that instead.

rayzercork wrote: »
    dont know what desktop youre running on mint but on xfce the default screenshot program defaults to png. however when you go to save the file just rename the screenshots name to .jpg and it should save as that instead.
    Thanks; I now have Shutter which can give me JPEG, but either way posting with JPEG or PNG using Board's in-built management of images means there is an 'Attached Images' link at the end of the post which I found a little annoying. Apparently there is no way round it, unless an off-Boards hosting website is used- but it's got it's drawbacks, as other posts here have shown.

Advertisement