Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple TV Eir TV, cant record anything

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

icdg wrote: »
    No, it’s an Apple TV which is probably one of the best streaming media boxes available provided that you are willing to be locked down to Apple’s ecosystem (I appreciate this is a big issue for some people). But it has no hard drive. No Apple TV has had one apart from the very first (quite a different product).

Eir knew this would be an issue and proceeded with the Apple deal regardless. It’s also an issue for VM whose 360 box is capable of cloud storage of recordings but unlike the Apple it also has local storage to fall back on. It’s a pity the broadcasters are actively blocking what is a great technical advance and a particular pity that VM, whose parent company Liberty Global is promoting the technology, is one of those stopping it in this market for local reasons.

The apple tv has a HD

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

RTE 1,2 - RTE are actively blocking this to drive customers to their player app where they monitise their assets
    Virgin 1,2,3: well documented dispute between them.
    BBC ,1,2,4 : BBC wont give cloud recording rights to Irish Broadcasters.
    CH4, E4: Channel 4 have very specific requirements to be able to advertise against their content when its IP delivered. HUGE cost to Eir for next to no return to them.

It’s complex as is explained above. RTE, Virgin and CH4 want you to use their players hence no recording. The pain is the RTE only stores the last months of shows which to some is an issue.

Virgin media player is not available for Apple TV yet but All 4 player is.

BBC player is geo restricted to the UK however the above info here is outdated as you can record BBC. I’ve a couple of BBC progs on series record and I’ve just checked MOTD and it’s recordable.

To be fair to eir this is not their fault. Cloud recording is new and the rights are done on a per show basis and a lot of tv companies are still stuck in the past and can’t get their head around new concepts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ec18 wrote: »
    The apple tv has a HD

No it doesn’t. (To make sure we are on the same page, HD in this context is hard disk drive, not high definition).

It has 32GB/64GB flash memory. This is primarily for apps and their associated content. It is not suitable for recording a large amount of programmes. To put it in context, Sky Q’s HD is 1 or 2 TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

VM does allow recording on every single channel (not sure about PPV). It's important to clear this up. This includes ITV3 and ITV4 and yes they still block some content on ITV3 and ITV4 per order from ITV.

Channel4 and it's sister channels has replay Tv and they have a player again on VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

So BBC and specifically MoTD is recordable?? Brilliant...Unless you're an Eir sales rep just saying that are you?:p

Thanks tho, good to hear that. VM is unavailable where I am and I don't think I watch enough TV to justify paying for Sky

gmacww wrote: »

BBC player is geo restricted to the UK however the above info here is outdated as you can record BBC. I’ve a couple of BBC progs on series record and I’ve just checked MOTD and it’s recordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

So BBC and specifically MoTD is recordable?? Brilliant...Unless you're an Eir sales rep just saying that are you?:p

Thanks tho, good to hear that. VM is unavailable where I am and I don't think I watch enough TV to justify paying for Sky

Certainly not an eir employee and I’m in the same situation as you. Few tv options where I live and I don’t watch tv enough to pay for sky. Eir is a great choice for me and it’s a personal choice but I love the Apple TV platform. Can post a screen shot of my BBC with the record options.

I know I only jest...Never know who's who these days ;)

Thanks for that info tho...I signed up today and yep I can record BBC and MoTD through the app, and all recordings are viewable there on the app and through the website. Presume it will be same once the Apple TV box arrives, so that's handy enough to be fair. Not bad for a tenner.

Presumably now anecdotally I will have awful trouble if anything goes wrong...but their sales webchat was quite good actually

gmacww wrote: »
    Certainly not an eir employee and I’m in the same situation as you. Few tv options where I live and I don’t watch tv enough to pay for sky. Eir is a great choice for me and it’s a personal choice but I love the Apple TV platform. Can post a screen shot of my BBC with the record options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭galtee boy

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are still so obsessed about recording.

The rte, bbc, virgin players etc all do on demand catch up.

That's enough for me nowadays

The RTE player makes you watch adverts, the Virgin player is appalling in standard definition, BBC iplayer is not available in Ireland legally. Series link recording on Sky is top notch, set your recording once and forget about it, fast forward adverts, full HD, it might come at a price, but you get what you pay for.

Exactly. We have Sky+ back at the home house, whenever I'm home I just series link record something then watch it whenever I'm home next. It's definitely the handiest way to catch up on something and fast forwarding ads is the best, makes you feel more in control of what you're watching as you've actively recorded it.

Like I said earlier, I don't watch TV too much anymore so Eir is going to do just fine I think, for the price being a third of what sky is.

galtee boy wrote: »
    The RTE player makes you watch adverts, the Virgin player is appalling in standard definition, BBC iplayer is not available in Ireland legally. Series link recording on Sky is top notch, set your recording once and forget about it, fast forward adverts, full HD, it might come at a price, but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

galtee boy wrote: »

When did you last use the Virgin App? Most stuff is in HD if your a HD subscription

• Advertisement
Advertisement