Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir and Virgin Media Sport - cross supply deal

• 15-08-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

eir sport:
    Rugby World Cup ✔️
    PRO14 ✔️
    Allianz Leagues ✔️
    League of Ireland ✔️
    Wimbledon ✔️
    FA Cup ✔️

Virgin Media Sport:
    Champions League ✔️
    Europa League ✔️
    Euro 2020 Qualifiers ✔️
    Bellator MMA ✔️

Introducing the new eir sport pack ⚽️����������
    ECAOvuLXoAApRyD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1161944927221276672

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Virgin Sport and Eir Sport join forces.

https://www.the42.ie/eir-sport-virgin-media-4766809-Aug2019/
    VIRGIN MEDIA AND eir Sport have today agreed a deal to carry their sports channels on each other’s TV platforms, in a welcome announcement for Irish subscribers ahead of the new rugby and football seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

So as a Virgin customer, will I get Eir Sport for free now?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

dohboy wrote: »
    So as a Virgin customer, will I get Eir Sport for free now?

Seems like it
    "Both broadcasters say the new offerings will come at no extra cost for existing customers. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I presume Virgin Media Sports will only be available to Eir Vision customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wow this is a great deal. It covers everything except some of the Champions Cup rugby.

It looks like the eir sport pack will have the Virgin Sport channel according to the 42.ie article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Who does be on Virgin Media Sports CL coverage? I have to admit I was a big fan of BT coverage here! I think I will still get the add on when get back from hols but must try negotiate something off my bill with Eir as gone way too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

They have more info about it here: https://www.eir.ie/sport/updates/

"We are adding Virgin Media Sport to the eir sport pack at no extra charge to eir broadband and select bill pay mobile customers!"

Sounds good in theory but for someone like me who just wants the BT Sport and Premier Sport add-on, Virgin Media Sport is largely redundant as Champions League, Europa League is covered on BT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If your with Virgin media Ireland , How do you go about getting Premier sports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

If your with Virgin media Ireland , How do you go about getting Premier sports ?

You don't, it's only on Sky or Eir Vision

That link Roland says every Champions League game will be available. That means all the Virgin Sport channels must be carried on eir.

On Sky it says eir sport 2 to be replaced by Virgin Sport but it will remain on the eir sport pack.

What does that mean for Sky people if only one eir channel available for the pro14?

Interesting in that article it says Virgin Sport to be on the eir sports pack until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

That link Roland says every Champions League game will be available. That means all the Virgin Sport channels must be carried on eir.

On Sky it says eir sport 2 to be replaced by Virgin Sport but it will remain on the eir sport pack.

What does that mean for Sky people if only one eir channel available for the pro14?

It sounds like it will still be available just not on 422.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Their FAQs say Sky box customers can get Eir Sport 2 and VM Extra channels on the Eir Sport app

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

I've been trying to figure that out. How many channels exactly are included with 'Virgin Media Sport'?

Down the bottom of that link it says: "eir vision TV customers will be able to view Virgin Media Sport automatically. Virgin Media Sport plus Virgin Media Sport Extra 1,2,3,4,5 & 6, will be added as new channels to the channel guide and the eir Vision go app."

So its just the one main channel, & then 6 Extras, which are only blank extras for the likes of UCL games?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Bards wrote: »
    I also originally signed up to Setanta as it was then and it was known as "The BT Sport Pack" I got no notification of change of contract when Eir bought the rights.

As said previously I cancelled via eir and told them they were in breach of contract, informed my bank of same and cancelled Direct debit payments.

Eir havent a hope in hell of collecting their so called extra payment from me

What are they showing now when they take the money from your account? Setanta Sports or EIR.

I'm on the annual sub and cancelled a few days ago, still no confirmation email that I requested. I want to block them from taking anymore money off me come renewal date in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Never get why you just can't pay to watch all of your own clubs games,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

it isn't any benefit to non Eir Braodband subscribers

e.g. I have Eirsport via a a skybox but have sky broadband

so no way I will be paying 29 a month

Riskymove wrote: »
    it isn't any benefit to non Eir Braodband subscribers

e.g. I have Eirsport via a a skybox but have sky broadband

so no way I will be paying 29 a month

This is a blow to Sky sign ups. To get everything you would need eir broadband with sky tv, as only one eir channel on sky now it seems.

If Leinster and Ulster were playing at the same time only 1 game could be watched on Sky.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

While I’m glad VM and eir have finally buried the hatchet, it seems eir customers get way more out of this deal then VM customers. I mean, do VM want their broadband only customers to defect to eir? Because Eir Broadband only customers will get Virgin Media Sport and VM Broadband only customer won’t!

It’s also potentially going to make the eir Sport pack even less attractive to Sky customers, particularly those who already have Sky and BT Sport. Literally the rugby (and GAA leagues for a seven week period in spring) is the only reason to keep the eir Sport pack and now potentially those customers are going to have Pro14 and GAA games replaced with a channel whose main content is all available on Sky and BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Is VMS HD as standard?

Great news anyway. The Champions League and Europa League is what I watch more than anything via the app. So even if I do sign up for Sky Sports Extra, this will save me from my data being eaten as I will still be able to watch it on the Eir app, which is better than the Sky Go app anyway and in HD.

Also, if Sky do go ahead and jack up the price of the sports extra pack after a year, this is one more reason not to bother with it. Provided the Eir/Virgin deal is still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

This is bizzare, was only thinking watching the Super Cup last night that it would make perfect sense for Virgin Media and Eir to join together, and that it would be their only option if they want to survive. Next thing, this pops up today. Feel like I've thought it into existence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Never get why you just can't pay to watch all of your own clubs games,

Money and an even greater disparity between bigger clubs and smaller clubs.

The top 6 will have great subscribers and the lower clubs won't.

TV money can be a big difference but not as a big if you wanted to subscribe to clubs individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

This is bizzare, was only thinking watching the Super Cup last night thinking that it would make perfect sense for Virgin Media and Eir to join together, and that it would be their only option if they want to survive. Next thing, this pops up today. Feel like I've thought it into existence :pac:

On behalf of all the Eir and Virgin customers- Thank you Mr Browne.

I think eir will see how much rugby fans are willing to pay for their service. They'll let this 30 euro a month thing run. Plenty of Virgin rugby fans had no pro14 this year if they had broadband and tv from Virgin.

icdg wrote: »
    While I’m glad VM and eir have finally buried the hatchet, it seems eir customers get way more out of this deal then VM customers. I mean, do VM want their broadband only customers to defect to eir? Because Eir Broadband only customers will get Virgin Media Sport and VM Broadband only customer won’t!

Virgin broadband, tv, sky sports and eir sport for €55 p/m for the first 12 months. That is a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

So do Virgin TV customers get eir sport now? handy for the FA Cup at least. Eir customers are getting way better deal mind, all the CL and EL. Their pundits are decent too. Usually 3 out of Souness, Kerr, Michael O'Neill, Martin Keown and Niall Quinn. Harry Redknapp pops up the odd time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

Is the Eir Tv box good for recordings ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Virgin broadband, tv, sky sports and eir sport for €55 p/m for the first 12 months. That is a great deal.

Not if you want to watch the Heineken Cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

celt262 wrote: »
    Is the Eir Tv box good for recordings ?

yes its fine - I have it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

So as far as i can see, if i have Sky Sports Extra (BT + Premier) i won't be getting much extra on top by having Virgin Media Sport? Unless VM will have exclusive Irish broadcast rights on the Champions League matches they show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

"Virgin Media Sport, meanwhile, has over 300 European football matches live across the season, including the Uefa Nations League and Euro 2020 qualifiers, as well as the Six Nations, Heineken Champions Cup and horse racing from Cheltenham and Aintree."

When did virgin Media get champions cup rights?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So as far as i can see, if i have Sky Sports Extra (BT + Premier) i won't be getting much extra on top by having Virgin Media Sport? Unless VM will have exclusive Irish broadcast rights on the Champions League matches they show?

If you have BT then you already have better coverage of CL than you'd get via Virgin I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement