Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Player

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

brick man wrote: »
    They have tweeted that they are putting the finishing touches to app it won't be ready for a number of days by the look of it
    For god sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IMO RTÉ management set a dead line for this year and want that deadline met because they have missed that deadline for at least the last 2 years, every time they’ve gone to the oirechtas they mention it.

Best launch would have been for the Late Late Toy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

brick man wrote: »
    They have tweeted that they are putting the finishing touches to app it won't be ready for a number of days by the look of it

When RTE say "soon" they could mean days, weeks, months... even years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

JDxtra wrote: »
    When RTE say "soon" they could mean days, weeks, months... even years!

It only took 3 years to come with Saorview Connect and then we found out it couldn't record and had no internal HDD, so don't expect too much from this proposed new RTE Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They announced back in May 2017 this would launch before the end of 2017 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103424192. It then slipped to early 2018 - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105281745, and we still wait.

The tender was originally published way back in Mar 2015 - https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=86163&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

galtee boy wrote: »
    It only took 3 years to come with Saorview Connect and then we found out it couldn't record and had no internal HDD, so don't expect too much from this proposed new RTE Player.

The thing is that there are many players already out there that do a great job. It's not like they need to reinvent the wheel here. What are the odds on it not playing at a proper frame rate either. I tried the current player via Airplay and it's only at 25fps which looks terrible. 720p/50 should be the absolute minimum level of acceptance today.

JMcGee wrote: »
    The thing is that there are many players already out there that do a great job. It's not like they need to reinvent the wheel here. What are the odds on it not playing at a proper frame rate either. I tried the current player via Airplay and it's only at 25fps which looks terrible. 720p/50 should be the absolute minimum level of acceptance today.

Have to agree and AFAIK netflix is an open source player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Are they making an Android TV app?

How come WebOS on LG TVs have RTE player and not Android TV?

They have an Android app, meaning they have 90% of the code already. Just need to make the UI work on TV.

Incompatible with all of my devices sadly.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Incompatible with all of my devices sadly.

What exactly is it compatible with??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's probably just a dummy application to test the Play store. Note it says 0 installs. It's also highly unlikely they'll make it a separate app download - the new version will be an upgrade of the old app (unless they want to ditch all the negative reviews of the old one of course!).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Why do I get the impression there's a supergeek with a perverse sense of whatever, somewhere in the RTE Player team who is delberately holding things up for the sake of it? :D

220px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

Why do I get the impression there's a supergeek with a perverse sense of whatever, somewhere in the RTE Player team who is delberately holding things up for the sake of it? :D

If it's like any other software development company I've worked with, it's mostly like just general incompetence across the board.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Their Twitter page is all decked out with a new logo and "something's coming" banner. Apparently there was some launch party recently also. But not putting it live the next day is unusual. That would be major egg on the face if it turns out to be another 6 months though.
    What I don't get is why have a launch party if the app isn't ready? What kind of muppet would think of having the party if the app wasn't actually live?

What I don't get is why have a launch party if the app isn't ready? What kind of muppet would think of having the party if the app wasn't actually live?

Launch party was organised, that launch was purely for Management. RTÉ have been talking up a new Player for the last 5 years and plans have always been pushed back. RTÉ can now go in and say on the 3/12/18 we launched the New RTÉ Player as outline in our strategic plan 2018 -2022, which has yet to be fully published!

Oh they are getting worried
    Boxset viewers and fans of Irish original content are set for a binge-watching boost as the revamped RTÉ Player is launched before the end of the week.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/rte-player-gets-major-overhaul-to-include-archived-show-and-original-content-890041.html

Who the F launches something before the end of the week, will it be launched Friday or Saturday, or is that Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They're just waiting on a few more licence fees to come in before they can pay the devs to finish up.

Pelvis wrote: »
    They're just waiting on a few more licence fees to come in before they can pay the devs to finish up.

They seem to be having a second one in Cork today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

In fairness, you can hardly expect them to launch an app according to schedule when they can't even manage to broadcast their own programs on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Am I wrong in thinking all that really needed to be done is to pick up the phone to the BBC or some other state broadcaster and buy their player either from them or their developer?

Am I wrong in thinking all that really needed to be done is to pick up the phone to the BBC or some other state broadcaster and buy their player either from them or their developer?

Pretty much what they did with Saorview Connect, a FreeSat product AFAIK.

Think they could even pick up the phone to TG4 and Virgin Media.

The beta is available now

https://beta.rte.ie/player/

You have to have the webpage open for the ads to work so no browsing other sites while they play. Not cool.

I do like being able to rewind a live stream back if you missed the start of something. Also there are other channels not seen before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lertsnim wrote: »
    The beta is available now

https://beta.rte.ie/player/

You have to have the webpage open for the ads to work so no browsing other sites while they play. Not cool.

The site loads very slowly for me (not just the videos but every page) and the first video I tried to play it crapped out 10 seconds into the ads. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edit: I also noticed if you minimise the browser window during ads it will pause the ads. However, switching to a different window doesn't so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

They seem to have extra channels lined up - Food and others.
    Not a bad idea to categorise all the content they have. People are into different things and it would be an easy way to find stuff.

E.g. nature docs, food, travel

None of the stuff is playing for me on that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How do you get it to play in html5 like all modern online players?
    I only get the option of using the now defunct flash format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ah right you are, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

My phone has a hosts file based ad blocker, so nothing will play. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My phone has a hosts file based ad blocker, so nothing will play. Ah well.

On Android and all I get is audio and no video. No ad blockers installed

Advertisement