Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview and Freesat TV

• 05-12-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, sorry if this has already been posted as I imagine it must be a pretty common request.
    I'm looking for a TV for my parents who are currently using a combo set top box and want to simplify the current system to one TV with one remote, they're looking for:

49/50 inches
    Saorview and Freesat tuners (in a combined 7 Day EPG) (also ideally HD)
    Smart features for Netflix would be a bonus but not essential
    Somewhat future proof (e.g. 4K etc)
    [*]

Does such a thing exist or am I dreaming? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

rcomyn wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this has already been posted as I imagine it must be a pretty common request.
    I'm looking for a TV for my parents who are currently using a combo set top box and want to simplify the current system to one TV with one remote, they're looking for:

49/50 inches
    [*]

Pretty much all LG smart Tv's.

Have a look at currys.ie or
    harveynorman.ie

Currys usually have smashing deals on Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

According to the Powercity website, the LG Tvs have separate channel lists for Saorview and satellite. Other threads here have also mentioned cumbersome switching. This is something to be wary of if buying any TV with satellite built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Powercity stock a range of Walker and Nordmende TVs that have a single channel list for both Saorview and satellite. The satellite tuner is for FTA channels and not Freesat so no 7 days epg. Thee channel list starts at 301. Netflix and 4K included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

According to the Powercity website, the LG Tvs have separate channel lists for Saorview and satellite. Other threads here have also mentioned cumbersome switching. This is something to be wary of if buying any TV with satellite built in.

The cumbersome switching is wildly exadurated on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

emaherx wrote: »

Do you have one of the LG TVs with separate Satellite and Terrestrial menus? I do.

It takes 14 keystrokes to change from Terrestrial to Satellite on my LG TV:Settings>Right>Right>Enter>Down>Down>Down>Enter>Down>Down>Enter>Down>Exit
    Subsequent changes take only 9 keystrokes. Only 9! Whoop dee doo!
    I don't see the wild exaggeration....

By comparison, the combi box is a pleasure to use. That takes none. Just change channel number. End of story.

A Samsung I used to have took a minimum 6 presses. The last channel button only operated between same sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

exaisle wrote: »
    Do you have one of the LG TVs with separate Satellite and Terrestrial menus? I do.

It takes 14 keystrokes to change from Terrestrial to Satellite on my LG TV:Settings>Right>Right>Enter>Down>Down>Down>Enter>Down>Down>Enter>Down>Exit
    Subsequent changes take only 9 keystrokes. Only 9! Whoop dee doo!
    I don't see the wild exaggeration....

By comparison, the combi box is a pleasure to use. That takes none. Just change channel number. End of story.

Try "Channel List" -> red button -> then select Freesat or Terrestrial.
    This is what works on my LG TV bought last year and I think its the same for all the new models

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

49/50 inches
    [*]

Op have a read thru this thread and look at the pictures i posted up. Ideally the Walker, Nordmende TVs have everything your after " your parents need" with the exception of the 7 day epg for UK channels. All the channels are on same screen/menu and only 1 remote control.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102912544#post102912544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

dos30 wrote: »
    This is what works on my LG TV bought last year and I think its the same for all the new models

Yup. That works alright. It brings the number of keystrokes down to 8.
    That's 8 more than a combi box...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

exaisle wrote: »
    Yup. That works alright. It brings the number of keystrokes down to 8.
    That's 8 more than a combi box...

Don't know how you counted 8. Channel List, Red Button, Up/Down, Enter.
    The freesat menu is far superior than a combi box, plus it doesn't need retuning when the satellite channels change. You get the 7 day guide and the red button functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From this thread...
    mackersdublin said:
    There's a much easier way on LG Freesat TVs

Using the Home button, there's a "My Channels" or "My Programmes" in older models

Add any Saorview channel and when you are in Freesat mode add one of them

I have RTE One and BBC One HD added to "My Channels" so it's very easy to flick between the 2 services

A Samsung I used to have took a minimum 6 presses. The last channel button only operated between same sources.

Yes. First button "ch list" then you follow the on screen instructions. It's not like you have to remember some magical secret 6 button combination.

Still has full EPG on both Tuners. No external box and only the TV's original remote to use.

The walkers don't have full EPG neither do the cheapo combo boxes. (Obviously there are some Linux boxes which do and are a great option but require a bit after setting up)

I don't have an LG but does setting up some favourites from Sat and Terristrial tuners not speed up tuner changes? (Thought I read somewhere on here something like that)

I have a Samsung which has a little menu to change between tuners so people are getting upset that they have to use the up or down button and select?

I also have an old Sony Freesat TV which has a single button change which is nice but they stopped making Freesat TV's.

How often do people really change between tuners anyway? There is only 2 or maybe 3 channels on Saorview worth watching. So you can pretty much flick on the Terrestrial guide look at the whole day for your 2 or 3 channels decide there is nothing on and go back to Freesat.

Don't know how you counted 8. Channel List, Red Button, Up/Down, Enter.
    The freesat menu is far superior than a combi box, plus it doesn't need retuning when the satellite channels change. You get the 7 day guide and the red button functionality.

Any decent combo box...
    UP > scroll UP/DOWN to desired channel > OK for all available channels terrestrial AND satellite

or if you prefer

full 7 day EPG > scroll UP/DOWN to desired channel > OK for all available channels terrestrial AND satellite

The main satellite channels very rarely change. The Red Button channel is easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

got rid of sky
    have aerial & satellite feed.
    which is the best value combi box on the market?
    i cud also buy a sky freesat card & flick between antenna/hdmi I suppose...but combi box would be handier..

What about Saorview Connect? I haven't used it but I believe it does SAT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭deezell

Not if you've just paid shedloads for a new QLED samsung, only to discover the saorview/freessat epg conundrum. I cant belive such a high end TV with 2017 technology stickers all over the box can't do something as simple a let you create a favourites list with both sat channels and saorview channels, and that's before you discover the 7 day epg only works if you register as being in the UK. WTF, I bought this as my old plasma was creaking, and my old Edision box died. I didn't want a new combi box, already have a Sab triple in the other room which does all this flawlessly, but I didn't want a linux combi in the TV room where others use it. seemed like a good opportunity to combine Tv and combi tuner, and go up a gear in picture quality.
    Its 99.9 saorview viewing anyway, but 6-8 button pressses to get to the sat list? then have to use my phone back to the linux combi box web interface to see the EPG of the channel I want to watch. The picture quality is awesome though, different class, not worth sacrificing for the sake of the Walker/Nordmende EPG .

RangeR wrote: »
    What about Saorview Connect? I haven't used it but I believe it does SAT too.

Saorview CONnect Twice the price for sod all functions. It doesn't even record (yet)

@chancer007 check out this

deezell wrote: »
    Not if you've just paid shedloads for a new QLED samsung, only to discover the saorview/freessat epg conundrum. I cant belive such a high end TV with 2017 technology stickers all over the box can't do something as simple a let you create a favourites list with both sat channels and saorview channels, and that's before you discover the 7 day epg only works if you register as being in the UK. WTF, I bought this as my old plasma was creaking, and my old Edision box died. I didn't want a new combi box, already have a Sab triple in the other room which does all this flawlessly, but I didn't want a linux combi in the TV room where others use it. seemed like a good opportunity to combine Tv and combi tuner, and go up a gear in picture quality.
    Its 99.9 saorview viewing anyway, but 6-8 button pressses to get to the sat list? then have to use my phone back to the linux combi box web interface to see the EPG of the channel I want to watch. The picture quality is awesome though, different class, not worth sacrificing for the sake of the Walker/Nordmende EPG .

The single combined full Freesat/Saorview EPG will never exist on these Telly's and it's not the manufacturers fault it is Freesat who provide the their EPG and they prevent this. Infact the manufacturers are not allowed to market the Freesat EPG at Ireland which is why you have to setup your TV in UK mode.

Now they could make it simpler with a single button press like the Sony's did, but it has to be 2 different guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rcomyn

Thanks a mill for all the responses. So what I’m getting from all of this is that the choice is between 7 day Freesat epg on an LG tv or combined epg on a walker? Don’t really know much about Walker really but my gut tells me to stick to big brands (if anyone knows better please correct me though)

From the few pieces I picked up from other threads I had seen something about being able to set up Freesat TVs (I think it was an LG) with a uk postcode, then tune in terrestrial channels, reorder them into the list as they show up somewhere in the 800s. Have I got the wrong idea from that?

• Advertisement

From the few pieces I picked up from other threads I had seen something about being able to set up Freesat TVs (I think it was an LG) with a uk postcode, then tune in terrestrial channels, reorder them into the list as they show up somewhere in the 800s. Have I got the wrong idea from that?

Correct. The UK postcode simply sets up whatever region you want. Use a London postcode for BBC/ITV London, Belfast code for BBC NI/UTV, Cardiff for Wales etc

The single combined full Freesat/Saorview EPG will never exist on these Telly's and it's not the manufacturers fault it is Freesat who provide the their EPG and they prevent this. Infact the manufacturers are not allowed to market the Freesat EPG at Ireland which is why you have to setup your TV in UK mode.

Now they could make it simpler with a single button press like the Sony's did, but it has to be 2 different guides.
    Looks like we need Linux combi Tv's....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

and will it list saorview and satellite channels in one list ??

frosty123 wrote: »
    and will it list saorview and satellite channels in one list ??

Big fat No to that. Complete PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Nobbies

I,m like op hoping to buy anew t.v with freesat and free to air built in tuner,its being said most l.g t.vs have both?in specifications though it's not stated unless i don't know what way it's described.link here from l.g t.v of currys

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/lg-49uj701v-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343278/397.0.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nobbies wrote: »
    I,m like op hoping to buy anew t.v with freesat and free to air built in tuner,its being said most l.g t.vs have both?in specifications though it's not stated unless i don't know what way it's described.link here from l.g t.v of currys

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/lg-49uj701v-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343278/397.0.2#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails
    TV tuner

-Saorview Play
    -DVB-T2 Irish Digital Ready Tuner
    -DVB-S2 Irish Digital Ready HD Tuner
    Electronic programme guide
    8-day EPG and 7-day catch up with Saorview Play

It clearly states both DVB-T2 (terrestrial) and DVB-S2 (satellite) capability.

I would still want assurance from the seller as there are quite a number of ads that are not quite correct in relation to some specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Nobbies

It clearly states both DVB-T2 (terrestrial) and DVB-S2 (satellite) capability.

I would still want assurance from the seller as there are quite a number of ads that are not quite correct in relation to some specifications.

i,m afraid many seller,s know very little in this area from my experience.

Due to some odd manufacturing licensing constraint, the tuners are either-or. You can't have both in the epg at the same time. You can't record sat and watch terrestrial. The UK freesat system with 7 day epg and automatic program numbering and update only works if the set is configured as being in the UK. Configure it as Ireland and the terrestrial tuner works perfectly for Saorview, but switch over to the satellite ( multiple button presses) and the epg is just now-next, with 500 odd channels in a large unsorted mess. I guess I'm spoiled by the versatility of linux settop boxes, which have immsculate epg displays with all sources combinable ( iptv included), picons, fully user configurable etc.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The only TVs on the market that will have both the Irish " saorview " and UK "FTA" on the same screen without multiple button presses are the Walker and Nordmende TVs. I am setting them up each and every day for people through a shop i work for. now granted there is no 7 day epg for UK channels but nowadays everyone has smart phones so just download and customize www.tvguide.co.uk either on a phone, a tablet or laptop then you will have a 7 day "detailed" epg for all the channels. These TVs are brilliant for non techies or for some elderly people who dont understand selecting source buttons and just want to press up or down on remote control to move from channel to channel.

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    The only TVs on the market that will have both the Irish " saorview " and UK "FTA" on the same screen without multiple button presses are the Walker and Nordmende TVs. I am setting them up each and every day for people through a shop i work for. now granted there is no 7 day epg for UK channels but nowadays everyone has smart phones so just download and customize www.tvguide.co.uk either on a phone, a tablet or laptop then you will have a 7 day "detailed" epg for all the channels. These TVs are brilliant for non techies or for some elderly people who dont understand selecting source buttons and just want to press up or down on remote control to move from channel to channel.
    Not much use if you want to upgrade to QLED or OLED image quality. The choice of brands is limited. There might be some hope in the form of an app, especially if your TV has an android operating system. I can't believe how crude the OSD on the samsug QLED is, its like something from an old smart box I have in the bin from years ago. Slick and versatile it is not. I put on an IPTV app which mentions a menu entry for TV's own tuners, I have to register it first, then I'll have a look to see if it's menu structures will combine IPTV with Terrestrial and Freesat when I get it up and running.

Advertisement