Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Apps Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Delboy5

corkie wrote: »
    You could use vidcast for html5/mp4 videos. If the videos are flash based then your stuck with Tab Casting.

Thanks ill try that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/redeem/

Free three month trial of NowTV for chromecast users in the UK. Maybe we can get it to with some messing around? My internet is acting the maggot so I can't check myself tonight.

Sorted - I now have the entertainment pack until mid January 2015 (already had a freebie till mid October and got this set up so it added an extra 3 months to my account)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sorted - I now have the entertainment pack until mid January 2015 (already had a freebie till mid October and got this set up so it added an extra 3 months to my account)
    Thanks

Only bugger is the Now TV App for android doesn't seem to be available here?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only bugger is the Now TV App for android doesn't seem to be available here?

Ways and means......
    Pretty easy to get the app if needed but I have 2 nowtv boxes so that 3 months free was a great deal for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks

Did you need to give an address in the UK or use a UK based account?
    I was resisting signing up because I wanted the service over xmas, but if you have it til mid jan I'll go ahead. I just don't want to screw it up by using my Irish google account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Delboy5 wrote: »
    If i want to cast a website thats streams a video whats the best app for this?

I tried just casting the tab from chrome and its a little "laggy".......any way around this?

Not sure about chromecast support yet, but it is coming...

vGet....supports DLNA enabled renderers, TV's etc.

two options from PC:

vGet Cast (DLNA Controller) Chrome App

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vget-cast-dlna-controller/ekdjofnchpbfmnfbedalmbdlhbabiapi?hl=en

vGet Extension (Video Downloader, DLNA) Chrome extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vget-extension-video-down/hniladkejehjfchadikcbjmgjaogciic?hl=en

Also an Android App:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mb.videoget&hl=en

I think this works to Chromecast. You can download or stream, on device or to Smart TV or Chromecast (it does support it!!)....free for 2 weeks, but pay in-app €3.30 +VAT some limitations, check out the description and use free trial period first to see if it is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Thanks

Beauty just did it was gonna hold out till Xmas but 3 months now...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

I'm

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

I'm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

jeni wrote: »
    I'm

Are you?:P

• Advertisement

Did you need to give an address in the UK or use a UK based account?
    I was resisting signing up because I wanted the service over xmas, but if you have it til mid jan I'll go ahead. I just don't want to screw it up by using my Irish google account.

I used a UK account that I had when I ordered a Nexus 4 a while back. Also used Hola chrome extension to ensure I was browsing from the UK
    DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Beauty just did it was gonna hold out till Xmas but 3 months now...

I had a free month due to expire 9th Oct but now I have it till 9th Jan 2015 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/redeem/

Free three month trial of NowTV for chromecast users in the UK. Maybe we can get it to with some messing around? My internet is acting the maggot so I can't check myself tonight.

Sorted through Jan, great find OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

Chromecast Update Finally Enables Custom Backdrop Support [APK Download]

Tried it for a small while, not really impressed with it. Probably cool for people who want there own photos displayed.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Dave..M wrote: »
    Sorted through Jan, great find OP!

Did u enter payment details ?? How did you redeem it ??

Delboy5 wrote: »
    If i want to cast a website thats streams a video whats the best app for this?

I tried just casting the tab from chrome and its a little "laggy".......any way around this?

Use chrome mobile app

Thanks

Do you have to enter payment details ?? Did u use Irish card ?? How did u register?

tharmor wrote: »
    Do you have to enter payment details ?? Did u use Irish card ?? How did u register?

I think that you have to enter payment details before it will allow you to view anything - free or not. I used an Irish card day one when I got the box and canceled as soon as I had the free trial.
    Can't really remember as I have the box over 6 months now

I think that you have to enter payment details before it will allow you to view anything - free or not. I used an Irish card day one when I got the box and canceled as soon as I had the free trial.
    Can't really remember as I have the box over 6 months now

Ok i have the pass now for 3 months ! I created an account and went via chromecast...

How to get the app working on adroid ? I am getting SIM not valid error. Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

Ways and means......
    Pretty easy to get the app if needed but I have 2 nowtv boxes so that 3 months free was a great deal for me

How did you get the app to work.....i got it installed but cant get it to work !

• Advertisement

Someone in another thread mentioned that the latest version of the app doesn't work in Ireland but that this version does work.
    I haven't tried it myself yet, if someone finds it successful please report back.

How did you get the app to work.....i got it installed but cant get it to work !

Ya I have the app but it will not work

Hmmm. Seems it won't work with rooted devices and it won't work with Irish sims. People are reporting it will work in sim free tablets or if you take the sim out of your phone.
    I'm sure there's a work around for rooted devices too. There has to be an app for that.

You could always just pay for a NOW tv box, it's only 12ish euro and you get a three month free code with it too so in total you'd end up with a streaming box that can play vids from pc and phone via plex and other apps and 6 months free for the 12 quid.

Hmmm. Seems it won't work with rooted devices and it won't work with Irish sims. People are reporting it will work in sim free tablets or if you take the sim out of your phone.
    I'm sure there's a work around for rooted devices too. There has to be an app for that.

You could always just pay for a NOW tv box, it's only 12ish euro and you get a three month free code with it too so in total you'd end up with a streaming box that can play vids from pc and phone via plex and other apps and 6 months free for the 12 quid.

Must try it on my tablet when I get get home (its rooted however so it may not work)
    I already have 2 NowTV boxes so the Android app not working is no big deal

On another note
    I got an email asking me to re-register the Chromecast - I wonder are they copping on we are in Ireland and trying to flush us out? I dont think I will re-register

Email says

On the 8th October, we're making some improvements to the way we deliver our great NOW TV entertainment on Chromecast.

Without getting overly technical, the improvements mean you'll get a better overall experience when watching NOW TV on Chromecast.

What do I need to do?

To continue watching NOW TV on Chromecast we'll need you to re-register your Chromecast device with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

On another note
    I got an email asking me to re-register the Chromecast - I wonder are they copping on we are in Ireland and trying to flush us out? I dont think I will re-register

Email says

On the 8th October, we're making some improvements to the way we deliver our great NOW TV entertainment on Chromecast.

Without getting overly technical, the improvements mean you'll get a better overall experience when watching NOW TV on Chromecast.

What do I need to do?

To continue watching NOW TV on Chromecast we'll need you to re-register your Chromecast device with us.

I reregistered on the 8th and it worked fine (I doubt it matters but my chromecast country is in as UK since registering as I got it pre Irish release)

Working fine on my rooted galaxy tab 3.....but video quality is poor for live channels and most of the videos :( !! Is nt it full hd ??

?Can i cancel the entertainment pass to avoid being billed when three months are over ? Or i will lose the 3 months ??

Working fine on my rooted galaxy tab 3.....but video quality is poor for live channels and most of the videos :( !! Is nt it full hd ??

That's our answer then, it should work if you take the sim out of a phone too in that case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement