Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

gman2k wrote: »
    As of 11am this morning - info directly from RTE NL;

'We had Mt. Leinster DTT turned off for planned maintenance yesterday, and it may be off again today'

Could it be mast replacement work? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67827815

• Registered Users Posts: 26 suites

is three rock only broadcasting radio on channel 54 at present here in cabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

suites wrote: »
    is three rock only broadcasting radio on channel 54 at present here in cabra

No it's broadcasting TV and Radio - Your TV has old MPEG2 technology used in the UK ..... Ireland use MPEG4, your TV is useless for Saorview. Depending on the make and model - on MPEG2 TV's you will get radio only OR sound and no picture on TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Mount Leinster
    Now broadcasting on channel 39.

elsie1b wrote: »
    Mount Leinster

Second Mux testing probably. Mullaghanish is also testing on Ch 24 during daytime hours.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Second Mux testing probably. Mullaghanish is also testing on Ch 24 during daytime hours.
    Is Forth mountain using channel 45 V as well as 52 V ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Mount Leinster

Still on 45 for me but ive yet to do a scan today so ill do one shortly and see what the story is ....

Still on 45 for me but ive yet to do a scan today so ill do one shortly and see what the story is ....

Ch 45 was broadcasting around the 600 to 670 mhz band for all my saorview channels..after a scan the channels seem to be still on the same band and channel with slight differences only in frequency (3e now on 618.167mhz for example)

Ch 45 was broadcasting around the 600 to 670 mhz band for all my saorview channels..after a scan the channels seem to be still on the same band and channel with slight differences only in frequency (3e now on 618.167mhz for example)

618.167mhz is Ch 39.
    Ch 45 is 666 MHz.

618.167mhz is Ch 39.
    Ch 45 is 666 MHz.

Ah apologies....cheers for the clarification. It seems then that ch 39 and 45 are both in operation

6 sources of signal - first one listed is currently in use on each of my channels... just noticed that the frequencies/sources are idntical for the other dtt channels - why? I thought each tv channel has a slightly different frequency that it broadcasts on or does each set of tv channels or mux have one frquency for all its tv channels?)

666mhz quality 100% (source been used to view at the moment for all dtt channels i think)
    665.833mhz quality 71%
    666.167mhz quality 71%
    618.167mhz quality 60%
    618mhz quality 60%
    617.833mhz quality 60%

The first three sources were the same before the rescan (ch45) but now it seems both ch45 and 39 are operational....i manually switched sources and the channels were still viewable

maybe ye can provide clarification to this

• Advertisement

thanks its just that i was receiving all the channels till december once again thanks

6 sources of signal - first one listed is currently in use on each of my channels... just noticed that the frequencies/sources are idntical for the other dtt channels - why? I thought each tv channel has a slightly different frequency that it broadcasts on or does each set of tv channels or mux have one frquency for all its tv channels?)

666mhz quality 100% (source been used to view at the moment for all dtt channels i think)
    665.833mhz quality 71%
    666.167mhz quality 71%
    618.167mhz quality 60%
    618mhz quality 60%
    617.833mhz quality 60%

The first three sources were the same before the rescan (ch45) but now it seems both ch45 and 39 are operational....i manually switched sources and the channels were still viewable

maybe ye can provide clarification to this

Analogue TV has one frequency per channel, digital TV use one frequency per multiplex (group of channels). Digital broadcasting is spectrum efficient over analogue broadcasting - more channels less space used.

The first 3 frequencies are Ch 39 and the second 3 are Ch 45. Two are reading an offset of +0.167mhz above centre and the other two -0.167 mhz below. What are you using to read the frequencies?

What do you mean by "i manually switched sources and the channels were still viewable"?

The two muxes, here from Mullaghanish, when operational carry the same content during testing. At some stage the second mux will initially carry only RTÉ 2 HD and the RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel with mux 1 carrying the others.

thanks its just that i was receiving all the channels till december once again thanks

The Panasonic problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Is Forth mountain using channel 45 V as well as 52 V ?

No signal on 45V this morning, 52V strong signal.

Q. Was 45V (Forth) on yesterday ?

Analogue TV has one frequency per channel, digital TV use one frequency per multiplex (group of channels). Digital broadcasting is spectrum efficient over analogue broadcasting - more channels less space used.

The first 3 frequencies are Ch 39 and the second 3 are Ch 45. Two are reading an offset of +0.167mhz above centre and the other two -0.167 mhz below. What are you using to read the frequencies?

What do you mean by "i manually switched sources and the channels were still viewable"?

The two muxes, here from Mullaghanish, when operational carry the same content during testing. At some stage the second mux will initially carry only RTÉ 2 HD and the RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel with mux 1 carrying the others.

Windows media centre - edit channel - edit sources = thats where i see the recievable sources from my tuner. Media centre then chooses to use one of the sources based on signal quality but you can chose a source manually in the edit sources section and then view the channel once you press save.

It appeared that they were broadcasting a carbon copy of mux ch 45 on ch 39 for a while yesterday

FRIENDO wrote: »
    No signal on 45V this morning, 52V strong signal.

Q. Was 45V (Forth) on yesterday ?
    I was using an aerial at the weekend to test the reception of 52 V from Forth Mountain and I picked up a signal on 45 also.
    Was wondering if the 45 was from Forth or just interference from Mount Leinster.

just bought a yamada dtv 4100 hd set top box from maplins 98 euros its working great epg ect channels chrystal clear on 80per cent signal cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

just bought a yamada dtv 4100 hd set top box from maplins 98 euros its working great epg ect channels chrystal clear on 80per cent signal cheers

Why?

It's got no MHEG5 and the Certified Saorview box is same price, has MHEG5 and supported with Over the air firmware updates.

http://powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP11DT
    Free delivery

Take it back.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesnumeriques.com%2Fyamada-dtv-4100hd-p593_4890_377.html&act=url

In a month or so there will be more boxes. Yamada is an overpriced cheap brand.

Any of the UK "Freeview HD" boxes are better and cheaper and more compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I was using an aerial at the weekend to test the reception of 52 V from Forth Mountain and I picked up a signal on 45 also.
    Was wondering if the 45 was from Forth or just interference from Mount Leinster.

45 possible interference from Mt L or Wales.

How did you get on with reception from Forth on 52V ?

FRIENDO wrote: »
    45 possible interference from Mt L or Wales.

How did you get on with reception from Forth on 52V ?
    Reception was good on 52 V and I also got all the saorview channels on 45,so if this was interference it was probably from Mount Leinster.
    I was testing the aerial itself to see if it was working properly as I had mixed results when trying to use it in the loft and I had gotten a good signal in one room on 52 V with an indoor aerial.
    I'm trying to feed dtt around the house and rte nl have made this impossible by using channel 45,in effect making their service and approximately 19 channels from Wales unwatchable.
    What a waste of time and public money !!

• Advertisement

Use a different aerial for Irish TV. Most of Ireland has to use Dish + Freesat for free UK TV.

RTE did not pick the channels and has no control. They too are upset.
    The European Regulators messed up (Ofcom, Comreg and others) as this problem also exists in a few other places in Europe.

watty wrote: »
    Use a different aerial for Irish TV. Most of Ireland has to use Dish + Freesat for free UK TV.

RTE did not pick the channels and has no control. They too are upset.
    The European Regulators messed up (Ofcom, Comreg and others) as this problem also exists in a few other places in Europe.
    RTE NL were broadcasting on channel 39 in the last few days with no interference problems.Surely they could have been using this frequency,which is available to them, a lot more.
    At times they have broadcast on most of the frequencies used by Preselli,both now and before Wales d.s.o .At times they only broadcast a carrier.
    Are you saying that 45 and 39 are the only frequencies available ?

rte and comreg and the bai can agree to use channels 30,34 and 39 for saorview mt leinster immediately but are too stubborn and you are the victim.

They can also use the existing analogue tg4 and tv3 channels after aso.
    They have loads of options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

... and RTE 1, and RTE 2 analogue. But that would be VHF. It's in the spec.:D

rte and comreg and the bai can agree to use channels 30,34 and 39 for saorview mt leinster immediately but are too stubborn and you are the victim.

They can also use the existing analogue tg4 and tv3 channels after aso.
    They have loads of options.

I rang comreg before wnd got nowherebut i shall be ringingthem again in the next week or so about this again...if allelse fails ill go the registered post route. All who are effected by this co channel interferrence i ask to do the same if ye want of course. Personally im getting annoyed with my irish channels disappearing because they are using a channel that they are too stubburn to change....

Maybe we can collectively get through to these idiots.

I rang comreg before wnd got nowherebut i shall be ringingthem again in the next week or so about this again...if allelse fails ill go the registered post route. All who are effected by this co channel interferrence i ask to do the same if ye want of course. Personally im getting annoyed with my irish channels disappearing because they are using a channel that they are too stubburn to change....

Maybe we can collectively get through to these idiots.
    They are publicly funded and as such are accountable to the public.
    Why wreck your own broadcasting platform through sheer stubborness and bad mindedness.
    If you make it difficult enough for people to receive dtt they'll simply use sky or even UK fta satellite stations and not bother with RTE,TV3 etc.

They are publicly funded and as such are accountable to the public.
    Why wreck your own broadcasting platform through sheer stubborness and bad mindedness.
    If you make it difficult enough for people to receive dtt they'll simply use sky or even UK fta satellite stations and not bother with RTE,TV3 etc.

They are shooting themselves in the foot in the mount leinster area anyways wih the channel allocation. I just hope as a citizen and with others voicing similar issues we can avoid this potential mess. I dont have the money for saorsat or sky install (since it would require rigging the dish on a 10 foot pole or pay for a roof antenna) just to ensure reception of saorview...id be better off pointing a roof ariel at wales if i had the cash anyways. More bang for buck if i had it.

Still at the end of the day to use 45 is madness. Especially since if 39 was used then alot of people wouldnt need a roof ariel. An indoor ariel works perfectly on 39 and on 45 but 45 is vunerwble to breakup from interferrence even with an indoor ariel.

Thats my opinion and experience with the trial service o er the last year anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

. . . 45 is vunerwble to breakup from interferrence even with an indoor ariel.

Can you prove this is due to CCI & not just because of the limitations of your aerial? (which would be far more vulnerable to impulse interference)

Can you prove this is due to CCI & not just because of the limitations of your aerial? (which would be far more vulnerable to impulse interference)

I can....on several occasions i launched a scan when channels started breaking up and was able fo pick up 56 plus uk channels and no irish channels with an indoor ariel south of arklow...sometimes the uk channels were not really viewable with signal of 30% but it was enough to bloock out out the irish ones...this happens whenever clear weather occurs over the irish sea and can be also linked to high pressure as well i think.

On a couple occasions i recieved the uk service with the indoor ariel with perfect viewing on 60% signal.....

Thats my experience of saorview and freeview clashing on ch45 on more than 25 occasions in the last 6-9 months mostly during periods of good/clear weather

• Advertisement

An indoor aerial can be MORE vulnerable than a proper outdoor aerial with decent reflector and low side-lobes.

Advertisement