Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Van conversion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Two questions. Do you need a different category of licence for driving a camper van than a regular car licence, and if so, are they currently testing does anyone know? Should probably mention it's a converted Renault Master.

https://ndls.rsa.ie/

Lmao the online application for tests is broken. I've also been on hold trying to get a mygov account up and running for half an hour now.

Amazing how bad the RSA are for all the money we give them.

I love the way you have to go online to pay for the practical driver theory test digital content to be posted to you days later on an optical disc they used to use in the 90s.

They cancelled my Truck driving test because the didn't expect me to pass the theory test so fast and couldn't get the license printed on a card in time or let me sit the test without the card. That was February...they still have my money and I've not sat any test.

The licence is standard btw. 3.5ton if the vehicle is 3.5ton, 7.5ton if the vehicle is 7.5ton etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Two questions. Do you need a different category of licence for driving a camper van than a regular car licence, and if so, are they currently testing does anyone know? Should probably mention it's a converted Renault Master.

https://ndls.rsa.ie/

Lmao the online application for tests is broken. I've also been on hold trying to get a mygov account up and running for half an hour now.

No. License depends on vehicle gross weight, so under 3.5 tonnes is fine on your standard license. Above that is a C license (or a CE)
    The Master is a rated for 3.5 tonnes.

Remember, this 3.5 tonnes includes you, the fuel and everything else, keep a mind on weight during your conversion.

It's still a B license if you overload the chassis having a C won't help you.

It's still a B license if you overload the chassis having a C won't help you.

Yes, thanks for the clarification.

The vehicle is rated to weigh no more than 3.5 tonnes.
    If you're caught weighing more, then you can get a fine, court summons, or the Gardai or whoever can take it off you.

Just keep an eye on what's going into the van. Proper campers have balsa wood kitchens and plenty of plastic to keep them light.

You can buy 7.5 ton vans, they usually have dual wheels at the back, but then you need to get the C license. You can also get your van uprated, but that's more hassle than it's worth.

• Advertisement

I've a 12mm birch ply kitchen. I would not be inclined to think balsa is proper. I'd reduce the size of the holding tanks, use composite material or get a vehicle with a higher payload if it's that tight.

Box body LGVs are notorious for overloading. 3 ton kerb weight unladen. They're overweight as soon as you load them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Does anybody know the story with having an Errigal kit in use, they can be assembled and disassembled in 20 minutes according to the website?

Does anybody know the story with having an Errigal kit in use, they can be assembled and disassembled in 20 minutes according to the website?

Does it satisfy this:
    It should be noted that this equipment must be rigidly fixed in the living compartment;

Without looking at the product, anything with 2 screws in it fulfils that mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Does it satisfy this:

They do several kits, the basic one that pops into the back of small van would not qualify, the large kit that is installed and properly fixed to the van would. You might get it passed the tax but the insurance company will want photos and won't touch it. That would leave you in limbo

• Advertisement
Advertisement