Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q issue

• 24-01-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone may be able to help with an issue I've been having over the last few weeks with my Sky Q box.

The issue is that the box becomes completely unresponsive mostly when I go to turn it on first thing in the morning but it has been happening lately every so often even when sitting watching the TV. The screen will go black, sound will continue for maybe 5 seconds then that goes too. The only way to get it working again is to unplug for a minute and restart it. When it is unresponsive the light on the front of the box is orange and sometimes the Q will flash blue. You can also hear the fan spinning. The box is unresponsive to both pressing buttons on the remote and pressing the button on the box.

From some reading online I have tried changing the standby mode from eco to active/none but the problem still persists. I have also tried updating the software.

I also read something about HDMI handshakes with non standard cables, but mine is the Sky cable that is connected.

This problem started about 3 weeks ago and would happen every now and again but at this stage now it is a daily occurrence and even a couple of times a day some days.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

You don't say how long you have had the box but they do fail. There is a sky community thread dedicated to sky q faults, have a look here.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-box-wont-turn-on

then ring sky on this free number for a replacement 1800 92 74 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

swoofer wrote: »
    You don't say how long you have had the box but they do fail. There is a sky community thread dedicated to sky q faults, have a look here.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-box-wont-turn-on

then ring sky on this free number for a replacement 1800 92 74 76.

We had the Q installed in October. Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

Mine behaved like that for a while then stated not recording or holding recorded programes. I reset and then factory reset it which worked for a while. Eventually i got a new one from Sky and it solved all them problems.

However the new box does occasionally lose sound for a second every now and again. I am told by Sky it is a broadband problem but have my doubts ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I had this issue, the picture would go green / purple make noise sometimes and you would have to turn off the Sky Q box.

Sky Q #2 - The first time it happened an engineer came out, I explained what happened and he swapped it for a new Sky Q box, got up on the roof and moved the dish a bit. I re-signed up to RacingTv and the dish move meant I could not the signal for the channel. This box went the same way as the 1st one

Sky Q #3 - the box crashed in the same manner, I ordered a replacement for self install and returned the box. The second box crashed again in the same way, I rang their complaints, between on hold and speaking to someone I spend 25 minutes on the phone. I told them I wanted to change to a HD+ box as Sky Q would not work. I was told they would book engineer and ring me back about the downgrade. I told them if they installed another Sky Q and it failed I would leave. I got no call and the engineer arrived with a Sky Q box and told me he could not give me a HD+ box.

Sky Q #4 - box lasted about 1 hour and crashed in the same way. I got in touch again to say as per my complaint I would leave if they put in a 4th Sky Q box and it failed. I was told they would not give me a HD+ box as I had not upgraded from HD+ to Q, I said as they did not handle my complaint I was cancelling as we had lost all recordings 4 times and we were without service for significant period. Jessica told me I could not cancel as I did not have 3 engineer visits, I once again explained the issues and lack of service or complaint handling and I am giving her cancellation instructions. She refused them, I made a Data Protection request for all information and call recordings. Jessica would not give me an email to cancel or send me a label to return the equipment. I said that is fine I have given cancellation instructions as they breached the agreement, and did not resolve the complaint, I told her I stopped my direct debit. I was an hour on the phone this time.

I got in touch with Sky on Twitter and they would not give me an email address to cancel. I make a complaint on the website on Sunday and have spent the last week trying to get an address to send the broken ****e back to them.

Anyway if anyone needs to send back Sky equipment I found this https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Click-and-Post/Returns

I am 10000/1 to ever return to them, their website is atrocious, their customer service is worst and the Sky Q box is beyond awful.

Advertisement