Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZWave Relay for HKC Alarm

• 22-01-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey folks,

I have a HKC 1070 alarm. I am looking to get a zwave relay so that I can arm/disarm it in SmartThings.

What type of relay should I get? Does anyone have any recommendations? I have no idea which one to purchase.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi someone has suggested that we should move this to home security, but I'm not going to. It's a good idea, but I think the iot posts don't get much attention there.

I'm sorry that I don't have a relay recommendation for you.
    I use lightwaverf relays ( not dependable enough for you) and signoff relays usually. I don't have my alarm mixed in with my other iot devices anymore, I never had a hkc hooked up like this either. I like them to be separate

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dg92

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi someone has suggested that we should move this to home security, but I'm not going to. It's a good idea, but I think the iot posts don't get much attention there.

I'm sorry that I don't have a relay recommendation for you.
    I use lightwaverf relays ( not dependable enough for you) and signoff relays usually. I don't have my alarm mixed in with my other iot devices anymore, I never had a hkc hooked up like this either. I like them to be separate

Thanks, Stoner. I had actually posted in the home security forum and was asked to post here. :(

Hopefully, someone has some ideas. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If it's just a relay, then any of the insert relays will do the trick, really.
    I recently deployed the dual channel "Z-Wave Philio Relay Insert" to control a heating system here, simple to use as it comes with tinned leads and screw-terminals.

The Fibaro Smart Implant would probably also do it, it has volt-free contacts, but needs an external PSU.
    https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/smart-implant/smart-implant-specifications/
    I have used the temperature-sensors on this before, but have not played with the switching capabilities. It's rock-solid though - I reversed the polarity by mistake and it stood up ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did you get any further OP?

I'm Interested in doing the same. If my HKC alarm could link to Smartthings then it could link to Alexa for the total package.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

If you have a way to get deliveries from the US you can look at konnected.

I tried to set one up a year or more ago but didn't have the time (3 young kids!) and we've pretty much been at home without the need for an alarm since then anyway!

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Did you get any further OP?

I'm Interested in doing the same. If my HKC alarm could link to Smartthings then it could link to Alexa for the total package.

I have not yet, I am likely going to order the Fibaro Smart Implant that 10-10-20 mentioned above. Just trying to figure out how I’ll power it.

It’s something I really want to get done in the next few weeks though.

scorn wrote: »
    If you have a way to get deliveries from the US you can look at konnected.

I tried to set one up a year or more ago but didn't have the time (3 young kids!) and we've pretty much been at home without the need for an alarm since then anyway!

I was looking at konnected and read on their forums that some folks have struggled to get it working with HKC. (Things like if you arm the alarm without using konnected, it does not know it’s armed and puts it into a bad state etc)

If I knew it would work, I’d defiantly get it. It’s a brilliant piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭10-10-20

dg92 wrote: »
    I have not yet, I am likely going to order the Fibaro Smart Implant that 10-10-20 mentioned above. Just trying to figure out how I’ll power it.

It’s something I really want to get done in the next few weeks though.

If you're close or inside the panel, take a 12v supply out of it (supports 9v to 30v).
    If your Fibaro is remote and your house is wired and you have a spare pair running from the panel to somewhere near to the implant, run 12v down the pair to the Fibaro.

DIY guidance, of course, none of this would be advisable by any security company. :P

10-10-20 wrote: »
    If you're close or inside the panel, take a 12v supply out of it (supports 9v to 30v).
    If your Fibaro is remote and your house is wired and you have a spare pair running from the panel to somewhere near to the implant, run 12v down the pair to the Fibaro.

DIY guidance, of course, none of this would be advisable by any security company. :P

Thank you for the tip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laplace

If you still looking for a solution to remotely arm/disarm your HKC I would recommend contacting your dealer and ask to install a GSM/WiFi module, you can arm/disarm the system using HKC mobile app on IOS and Android. Also the GSM module come with SIM card so it can work for alerts and notification even if you don't have a WiFi access in case of power loss.

I will avoid bridging your security system with your home automation network for reliability and security reasons. Keep the security system in closed loop. Arm/Disarm function should only be done with the passcode , I'm not sure how dry contact will help you in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

The HKC SW panels have 2 dry contacts in the panel.

There does seem to be a way to have a contact switch when the alarm is set ,

From the installation manual

The Latch output type is normally at 0V. At the start of Exit Time it switches from 0V to HIGH and stays HIGH until the system is unset

At least then you could possibly get the status of the alarm (any ideas how to monitor a dry contact?, parallel wire the button on a sonoff & turn on push notifications maybe ?)

Another thing I've though about is hacking a remote keyfob so it can be switched by a sonoff etc

Advertisement