Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell Recommendations

• 12-01-2021 7:20pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have to get a new doorbell, but looks like there's so many out there, that I would like some recommendations from other people feedback, I would like something similar to my current Ring Doorbell 2, (that I have to send back due to some issues)

Similar features as currently, battery operated as not wired for doorbell, alexa enable for notification, phone app, allow to talk to people, live view, recording of calls and movement, allow to select area to notify of movements, allow other users to access it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

nava wrote: »
    Hi

I have to get a new doorbell, but looks like there's so many out there, that I would like some recommendations from other people feedback, I would like something similar to my current Ring Doorbell 2, (that I have to send back due to some issues)

Similar features as currently, battery operated as not wired for doorbell, alexa enable for notification, phone app, allow to talk to people, live view, recording of calls and movement, allow to select area to notify of movements, allow other users to access it.

Thanks

I have a wire ring, but can be battery operated. Awesome little device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭Alkers

We have a eufy one which does everything on your list and was well priced. Only issue is it's not iftt compatible.yet and Google.home integration is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use an Arlo Audio Doorbell paired with a seperate camera... Works much better in my scenario...

Without the camera, the bell would be facing my neighbours driveway. Camera can be positioned as you want it. Doorbell uses existing chime. No Subscription.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Thanks for the comments, I already have a Ring Doorbell 2 for nearly 2 years, but going back to Amazon as I'm having some issues with it, sometimes videos have white lines on them, last month been having some battery issues that batteries will drain really fast maybe not even a week (I have 2 batteries)

I was doing some research last night, narrowed down to 2,
    • Ring Doorbell 3 Pro
    • Arlo Essential wire-free 1080P HD, I already pay for the Arlo cameras and I can add it to my existing plan.

I didn't go with the eufy as the reviews for integration with Alexa are quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

nava wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, I already have a Ring Doorbell 2 for nearly 2 years, but going back to Amazon as I'm having some issues with it, sometimes videos have white lines on them, last month been having some battery issues that batteries will drain really fast maybe not even a week (I have 2 batteries)

I was doing some research last night, narrowed down to 2,
    • Ring Doorbell 3 Pro
    • Arlo Essential wire-free 1080P HD, I already pay for the Arlo cameras and I can add it to my existing plan.

I didn't go with the eufy as the reviews for integration with Alexa are quite bad.

The ring I have is the 3 pro. No issues so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have the Nest Hello for the last 2 years and am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭niallb

2011 wrote: »
    I have the Nest Hello for the last 2 years and am very happy with it.

Lovely piece of kit and excellent all round if you have a gmail account.

If you have a gsuite account it causes even more grief than gsuite users are already used to with anything involving google assistant or other products.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

niallb wrote: »
    Lovely piece of kit and excellent all round if you have a gmail account.

That’s hardly an obstacle.
    You know that anyone can have a Gmail account almost instantly for free, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭niallb

2011 wrote: »
    You know that anyone can have a Gmail account almost instantly for free, right?

The obstacle is that if you use a gsuite account for your primary account, you can't even share a home device with the Ring logged in to a Gmail account.

I've had a Gmail account since it was by invitation only, but my main account for nearly 10 years has been a Google apps/gsuite account. It's the one all my android app purchases, music and movie purchases are tied to. A crazy number of Google services fail to work with it and I can't transfer those purchases.

When Nest started it worked with both Gmail and gsuite accounts. It was only after Google bought Nest that they prevented it. There is no convenient way around it, so I have an almost unused Nest Hello doorbell and a Ring 3 that works reasonably well
    The Nest is the better looking device.

Advertisement