Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV on multiple Apple TV’s?

• 04-01-2021 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

I’ve got five Apple TV units currently, (one 4K).

I’m with VM for TV - the old horizon box but looking at my kit, I could free up a socket by getting rid of horizon and installing the ATV app for Eir.

So my question is, is it possible to install the Eir app on more than one ATV and use the same sign in details to have multiroom TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

OU812 wrote: »
    I’ve got five Apple TV units currently, (one 4K).

I’m with VM for TV - the old horizon box but looking at my kit, I could free up a socket by getting rid of horizon and installing the ATV app for Eir.

So my question is, is it possible to install the Eir app on more than one ATV and use the same sign in details to have multiroom TV?

Yes it works fine I can confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks IrishHomer, howdy you find the actual product (EirTV) itself

OU812 wrote: »
    Thanks IrishHomer, howdy you find the actual product (EirTV) itself

I was with Sky previous for decades.

I find it good value compared to sky.

I also use the Sky Now tv app on the box for Sports, I avail of the Now TV half price offers :)

I have a 2nd Apple box that I purchased myself from adverts an iPad, chromecast and android phone all running Eir TV for tenner a month, good value compared to Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I was with Sky previous for decades.

I find it good value compared to sky.

I also use the Sky Now tv app on the box for Sports, I avail of the Now TV half price offers :)

I have a 2nd Apple box that I purchased myself from adverts an iPad, chromecast and android phone all running Eir TV for tenner a month, good value compared to Sky

Are the majority of channels available on Eir tv not free to air on sky/satellite and saorview Therefore saving you a further 10 euro per month?

givecredit wrote: »
    Are the majority of channels available on Eir tv not free to air on sky/satellite and saorview Therefore saving you a further 10 euro per month?

Some not all, eir also has discovery, fox, tlc, Comedy Central, UK Gold, etc and some record

Another plus is it's all wireless no cables required unlike satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Would you not try a 360 box first OU812?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Some not all, eir also has discovery, fox, tlc, Comedy Central, UK Gold, etc and some record

Another plus is it's all wireless no cables required unlike satellite.

Would you not be better off with a now tv entertainment sub. You have better choice of channels and great on demand library

givecredit wrote: »
    Would you not be better off with a now tv entertainment sub. You have better choice of channels and great on demand library[/quote

I personally have zero interest in the sky entertainment package, I had it for years and I never like it or barely used it. My children are all grown up and left now so it's now time to suit myself and the wife.

Wife just uses Saorview

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Would you not try a 360 box first OU812?

To be honest, I rarely watch terrestrial TV but others in the house do. Everyone has an ATV so was looking for a solution to give them tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Sorry for bumping old thread. currently have EirTv the last year but could do with an extra box for another room. Is it still working where you just use the one sign in for multiroom? i.e if I was to get another box off them is an extra €9.99 a month but if I got a hold of a second hand apple tv off adverts can I just pop in my details I use on the first box and away I go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Yes - still working for me. I bought additional "reconditioned"(as-new) Apple TV 4K units for €79 from the Eir site. No problem running the Eir TV app in different rooms at the same time. I just pay for a single TV subscription -€9.99pm.

However - they are no longer selling the reco innditioned units on this site - only new. I also checked Adverts.ie - very cheap units available but I came to conclusion that they are mostly stolen goods - so be careful if you are buying online. Always ask for original receipt or copy of Eir bill with TV bundle from seller.

Yes I checked Eir website and see the refurbs are gone. Cheers for heads up will keep my eyes peeled. Nice to know it is still working.... hopefully for the foreseeable future.

Did your refurb come with the Eir remote or the normal remote for apple tv ? I see they are back in stock

They came with the normal Apple remote. I quite like the Apple remotes - although I can understand that some users prefer a more traditional user interface. You can actually programme the Apple box to work with any remote - so you can recycle old remotes if you prefer.

do you have to be an eir customer to get one of those refurbs?

I don't know. I am an eir customer so it wasn't an issue for me. They are selling the refurbished units on a dedicated eir store website - so probably anyone can order. It's not like the first (new) unit which comes as part as your bundled order.

However, you won't be able to run the eir TV app for live TV channels unless you are an eir customer. You need to get your first Apple TV through your bundle so that you can run this app. Once you have the service in your bundle, you can run the app on additional multi-room Apple TV's, Smart phones, tablets PCs etc without any additional monthly fee.

Would you have a direct link to the store? Won’t be running eir on it but want it for other stuff

Thanks. Went ahead and ordered one. My contract was actually up this year and I was due to jump from. Paying 40 a month to 93 a month or something ridiculous. I rang up and got through to cancellations and after some threats of leaving got my package down to 44.99 for next 12 months. Happy with that seeing as I'll have multiroom now too.

• Advertisement

That's an excellent price. I have renewed with Eir for 4 years, and I always find them willing to renew discount on mobile & TV if you commit for a further 12 months. 5G mobile for €9.99pm and multi-room TV for €9.99pm make their bundles very competitive. However, you do need to make the call. I put it in the diary each year.

Advertisement